cgpa: 3.97, sgpa: 3.95, MCAT 28R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctordaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I don't know what that MCAT is all about...
EC's:
~60 hours ER volunteering
~100 hours shadowing/working with private practice doc
Played on 3 different intercollegiate club sports teams (president of one)
Lots of coaching and smaller ec's (mostly working with kids)
No research...

I feel good about my gpa, but that's about it. I feel like I might be looked at as being too sports heavy, but that's really what my life revolves around. The hospitol work isn't too much, but it seems like "enough." I'm not trying to get into any top 10, I just want to get in... Anyone feel like I'm looking ok? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

i think your a competitive applicant, esp. with that gpa

Thanks for the reply. I'm just worried that they may look at the MCAT, assume I'm unintelligent, and jump to the conclusion I'm already studying as much as I can (aka, won't be able to step it up in med school). But that's not the case at all. Also, I'm a middle class, white, male... Anyone else wish they were a poor african american woman when applying? :laugh:

Your numbers wouldn't necessarily keep you from getting an acceptance, but lop-sided ECs and a later submission might. Heavy sports involvement will be very appealing to some adcomms as they'll appreciate the dedication and teamwork that went into that commitment and really like the way you used it as a springboard to community service/teaching with the coaching, but others will see the sparse clinical experience and lack of research and wonder why you applied prematurely. The shadowing is good though (and depending on if/how you helped, this could be viewed as clinical "experience" too, BTW, rather than just passive shadowing), as well as the leadership.

Were I you, I'd continue to gain hours in the ER or elsewhere so you can include more accumulated hours in future update letters. And if you end up reapplying next year, your clinical experience will be on par with expectations. Consider retaking the MCAT if you think your score was a fluke. If you are anxious to get accepted this cycle, consider applying to DO schools as well.