Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
So i haven't had the best track record with the gen. eds. mainly C's, a B, and two A+'s currently holding a 2.0 going into my "sophomore" year technically a junior but no with credits but my science gpa is a 3.7. Science is my favorite subject and its where all of my attention is all the time I despise gen ed. courses but I need/would like to boost my cumulative up to somewhere around a 3.3-3.5. My main concerns are does cGPA matter more or vice versa? Also, if my current trend continues and I only raise my cGPA to a 3.0-3.2 but my sGPA stays around 3.7.39 would I likely get into a decent medical school?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
If your eventual cGPA is in the 3.0 to 3.2 range and your MCAT is over 500 you would have a chance for some DO schools. MD is unlikely unless you can score over 508 on the MCAT and a cGPA of 3.5 or higher.

Reactions: jessa20
OP
J
Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
If your eventual cGPA is in the 3.0 to 3.2 range and your MCAT is over 500 you would have a chance for some DO schools. MD is unlikely unless you can score over 508 on the MCAT and a cGPA of 3.5 or higher.
The thing is I originally really wanted an allopathic school but the more I've reached I actually truly like the DO programs I have looked into I'm just not sure how much different the degrees are other then the fact that DO is a hollistic approach thats pretty much all I can tell is the difference?

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
The thing is I originally really wanted an allopathic school but the more I've reached I actually truly like the DO programs I have looked into I'm just not sure how much different the degrees are other then the fact that DO is a hollistic approach thats pretty much all I can tell is the difference?
There is no difference in having a MD or DO degree. The residency programs will be merging in a few years and you will be graduating years after that merger.

Reactions: jessa20
OP
J
Jul 15, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
There is no difference in having a MD or DO degree. The residency programs will be merging in a few years and you will be graduating years after that merger.
OH awesome! Thanks for all the help.