Chad or me wrong about hemi-acetals and -ketals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnnyD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Picture6.png

Is chad wrong here? Wouldnt that be a hemiketal since the carbon attached to the 2 oxygens has 2 R groups in the top image? or am i just a no good idiot ******* loser who doesnt know anything and deserves to die young?

Members don't see this ad.

Picture6.png

Is chad wrong here? Wouldnt that be a hemiketal since the carbon attached to the 2 oxygens has 2 R groups in the top image? or am i just a no good idiot ******* loser who doesnt know anything and deserves to die young?

If you took organic chemistry in the 80's, most people learned that acetal is derived from an aldehyde and a ketal is derived fom a ketone. Somewhere along the line they got lazy and decided to just call both of them acetals.

I know marc loudon's organic chemistry textbook from the mid 80's clearly distinguishes between ketals and acetals.

For the DAT, I would keep the difference in mind because it's likely that the test writer is an old withered fuddy duddy who uses nomenclature that is no longer used.

If you took organic chemistry in the 80's, most people learned that acetal is derived from an aldehyde and a ketal is derived fom a ketone. Somewhere along the line they got lazy and decided to just call both of them acetals.

I know marc loudon's organic chemistry textbook from the mid 80's clearly distinguishes between ketals and acetals.

For the DAT, I would keep the difference in mind because it's likely that the test writer is an old withered fuddy duddy who uses nomenclature that is no longer used.

exactly what i have been telling these guys since day one. forget that hemi-ketal or junk. its either a HEMI-ACETAL or an ACETAL/KETAL. Thats IT!!!!!!!!

exactly what i have been telling these guys since day one. forget that hemi-ketal or junk. its either a HEMI-ACETAL or an ACETAL/KETAL. Thats IT!!!!!!!!

hemiandace.jpg

so for the DAT the left is a hemi-acetal and the right is both an acetal and a ketal? or does the R2 on the left need to be an H?