1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Chad or me wrong about hemi-acetals and -ketals

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by JohnnnyD, Aug 5, 2011.

1. JohnnnyD

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    [​IMG]
    Is chad wrong here? Wouldnt that be a hemiketal since the carbon attached to the 2 oxygens has 2 R groups in the top image? or am i just a no good idiot ******* loser who doesnt know anything and deserves to die young?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. terry gordy

Removed

If you took organic chemistry in the 80's, most people learned that acetal is derived from an aldehyde and a ketal is derived fom a ketone. Somewhere along the line they got lazy and decided to just call both of them acetals.

I know marc loudon's organic chemistry textbook from the mid 80's clearly distinguishes between ketals and acetals.

For the DAT, I would keep the difference in mind because it's likely that the test writer is an old withered fuddy duddy who uses nomenclature that is no longer used.

4. AllahIsGreater

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    exactly what i have been telling these guys since day one. forget that hemi-ketal or junk. its either a HEMI-ACETAL or an ACETAL/KETAL. Thats IT!!!!!!!!

5. JohnnnyD

5+ Year Member

Dental Student

[​IMG]

so for the DAT the left is a hemi-acetal and the right is both an acetal and a ketal? or does the R2 on the left need to be an H?