Chad's videos are awesome, but WHY?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaeDRa

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay I've een told chad's videos are like the best for chem and ochem. But can someone explain to me WHY? Do the materials he goes over basically cover everything on the exam? Is it about his style of teaching? Is it that his quizzes are good practice questions?

What can it be?

Members don't see this ad.

okay I've een told chad's videos are like the best for chem and ochem. But can someone explain to me WHY? Do the materials he goes over basically cover everything on the exam? Is it about his style of teaching? Is it that his quizzes are good practice questions?

What can it be?

he goes over all of the materials on the DAT GC and OC, and also he teaches it in a way that most people can understand well. i used his quiz to just see if i understood the lecture and practiced with qvault and destroyer. as far as informations to know for GC and OC, he will cover them all in his video!
hope this helps!

The most "enjoyable" moments of my studying were with chad's videos. He presents +90% of the required material for gc and oc ( in my experience) and he does so in a very efficient and interesting manner. I actually used his videos exclusively for the chemistries, supplementing slightly with google and Wikipedia when required. I ended up with a 24 on OC and 22 on GC!

So I have probably spent more time wondering this same question than most and here is what I have come up with. Chad has spent years running a tutoring lab at ASU where the main people coming in utilizing the area were pre-health.

These people were never satisfied with getting a B in class, or casually understanding the material and needed to take their understanding to the next level. By the time each of these students (myself included) had waited in line for the 30-45 minutes to talk to him we had already exhausted the help printed material could accomplish and needed to have it explained in a different way. Years of doing that has helped him come up with a style of explaining the topics in a way that he has found that students "get it" quickly.

Combine that with being in the right age group to click with the audience, a great personality that endears people to him and you have the reason so many people like him, or at least, that is what I have come up with :)

Alan

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly I love Chad and his videos were awesome, definitely helped me score a 25 on the OC section of the exam, but I felt like the Gen-Chem section on my DAT was NOTHING like what Chad covered, or what DAT Destroyer covered. Over half the questions I sat there and was thinking huh, this never popped in my studies (I studied for 2 months, and by the time I took the test thought I knew everything inside and out for Gen-Chem), I still ended up scoring a 21 (which was like 92 percentile on that exam) on the Gen-Chem section (was hoping for like a 28), but I felt like none of the study material, Chads, DAT Destroyer, qVault, or DAT Achiever were anything like the actual exam.

It seems to me that the exam is changing for 2013 and that it is trending towards becoming an overall harder exam. The biology section as well as the OC section both had many questions were I was unsure of answers, even though I felt like I was very prepared for both those sections through my studies. Luckily I must have had intuition on my side and got many of the questions I was unsure of right on both of those sections because I ended up scoring a 25 in Bio and a 25 in OC. Also my PAT section was very representative of DAT Achiever's PAT in that it was a very hard test, maybe a tiny, tiny bit easier than a DAT Achiever PAT, so be warned, do not expect it to be like CRACK DAT PAT, which by the time I was finished with my studies seemed like child's play.

So yeah moral of the story, DAT is getting harder. Don't expect it to be as easy as your practice material, expect it to be the hardest thing you have taken and you should come out all right!

I personally thought it was going to be much easier than it actually was because of how prepared I felt like I was after reviewing all study material (KBB, Cliff's, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Chad's, CRACK PAT, DAT Achiever, qVault) and literally felt like crying during my 15 minute break because of how hard the Survey of the Natural Sciences as well as the PAT sections of my exam were. I thought at the break that I had failed the test and would have to re-take ( I was thinking that I would score around 18-PAT and 18-AA). Luckily I was very shocked when I saw my score report saying I had scored 21-PAT, 23-TS, and 21-AA. So yeah don't expect the test to be easy like I did, it will only make you freak out during the actual exam, expect one of the hardest test you have ever taken in your entire life, because the exam as a whole is getting harder for 2013!

Honestly I love Chad and his videos were awesome, definitely helped me score a 25 on the OC section of the exam, but I felt like the Gen-Chem section on my DAT was NOTHING like what Chad covered, or what DAT Destroyer covered. Over half the questions I sat there and was thinking huh, this never popped in my studies (I studied for 2 months, and by the time I took the test thought I knew everything inside and out for Gen-Chem), I still ended up scoring a 21 (which was like 92 percentile on that exam) on the Gen-Chem section (was hoping for like a 28), but I felt like none of the study material, Chads, DAT Destroyer, qVault, or DAT Achiever were anything like the actual exam.

That's odd, what did you feel wasn't covered? As far as I'm aware the list of topics covered for the 2013 test is identical to the list of topics for 2012, in all subjects.

The most "enjoyable" moments of my studying were with chad's videos. He presents +90% of the required material for gc and oc ( in my experience) and he does so in a very efficient and interesting manner. I actually used his videos exclusively for the chemistries, supplementing slightly with google and Wikipedia when required. I ended up with a 24 on OC and 22 on GC!

Ah yes! I'm currently studying and am SOO thankful that Chad's videos exist and are pretty affordable at that. I watch them of Fastplay, over and over and over again until I feel like I've really gotten the concept. He does present things in a very bare bones manner, so you only memorize the stuff you REALLY need to memorize and nothing else. So you save yourself lots of time. I'm only 3 weeks into studying...haven't taken any practice tests yet so I can't say how much he's helped me with my score, but I do know for sure that I'd be a loss for good science review materials if it weren't for his website.

It seems to me that the exam is changing for 2013 and that it is trending towards becoming an overall harder exam. The biology section as well as the OC section both had many questions were I was unsure of answers, even though I felt like I was very prepared for both those sections through my studies. Luckily I must have had intuition on my side and got many of the questions I was unsure of right on both of those sections because I ended up scoring a 25 in Bio and a 25 in OC. Also my PAT section was very representative of DAT Achiever's PAT in that it was a very hard test, maybe a tiny, tiny bit easier than a DAT Achiever PAT, so be warned, do not expect it to be like CRACK DAT PAT, which by the time I was finished with my studies seemed like child's play.

So yeah moral of the story, DAT is getting harder. Don't expect it to be as easy as your practice material, expect it to be the hardest thing you have taken and you should come out all right!

I personally thought it was going to be much easier than it actually was because of how prepared I felt like I was after reviewing all study material (KBB, Cliff's, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Chad's, CRACK PAT, DAT Achiever, qVault) and literally felt like crying during my 15 minute break because of how hard the Survey of the Natural Sciences as well as the PAT sections of my exam were. I thought at the break that I had failed the test and would have to re-take ( I was thinking that I would score around 18-PAT and 18-AA). Luckily I was very shocked when I saw my score report saying I had scored 21-PAT, 23-TS, and 21-AA. So yeah don't expect the test to be easy like I did, it will only make you freak out during the actual exam, expect one of the hardest test you have ever taken in your entire life, because the exam as a whole is getting harder for 2013!

This doesn't help my confidence much! Haha

Nor mine!

I took my exam last Thursday and I thought Chad's videos were sufficient.. Maybe I was lucky and got a relatively easier test.

One thing that I did notice was how hard the PAT was. Holy mother of god that was hard.

I am not sure if Chads videos are the best. There were few concepts in chem and bio that he missed and there is not enough practise questions to reinforce your knowledge.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Bio is not complete on the website so obviously there is stuff missing. But Alan's notes are very helpful as well. Also, it is impossible for absolutely everything to be covered. I would say he covers more than 95% of what you need. Ever single gen chem and ochem concept on my DAT was discussed on Chad's Videos.

If he ever wants free dental care, he can come to me in a few years.