Chair letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinkynml

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some programs require chair letters, but nobody has ever explained how this is different from any other letter of rec.

Is the chair letter in addition to the 3 letters of recommendation generally required, or is it 1 of the 3?

I'm applying to OB/GYN, if that makes a difference.
Insight is appreciated - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs say on their website whether it is chair lor+3 or if the chair low is one of 3 lor's. In short it varies from program to program.

I have another issue. I'm a Brit IMG my school wants to know what info should be included in the chair lor as he doesn't personally know me. How do you guys get around that or does everyone know their chair?

Most programs say on their website whether it is chair lor+3 or if the chair low is one of 3 lor's. In short it varies from program to program.

I have another issue. I'm a Brit IMG my school wants to know what info should be included in the chair lor as he doesn't personally know me. How do you guys get around that or does everyone know their chair?

The chair letter is usually a summary assessment of the applicant's performance on the rotation, including evaluative comments. It's not imperative that the chair knows the applicant, but he/she does need to have access to your file.

I know some programs require chair letters, but nobody has ever explained how this is different from any other letter of rec.

Is the chair letter in addition to the 3 letters of recommendation generally required, or is it 1 of the 3?

I'm applying to OB/GYN, if that makes a difference.
Insight is appreciated - thanks!

I am also confused about this. Do you write the chair letter into the LOR section of ERAS? if so, how?