redcharger2904

2+ Year Member
Nov 22, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
IMG YOG 2016. Applying to FAmily medicine and internal medicine
I saw many IM programs requiring one of the LoRs from chairman of department of medicine. I currently have 2 US LOR(1FM 1IM) and 1 from my home country. Since I don't really know the department chair personally(Never worked with him), I have no idea how to fetch this.
I read elsewhere saying Chairman letter doesn't matter for IMGs. Should I attempt applying to those programs requiring chairman letter without one?

Animalcules

2+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2015
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Yes. You will need one more LOR then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Agreed. The chair's letter is a standardized letter for US grads. If you're a DO or IMG, you usually will not have one.

I think the SGU grads all get a chair letter. It is literally the same letter, word for word, for each of them. It's completely useless.

About the Ads

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Agreed. The chair's letter is a standardized letter for US grads. If you're a DO or IMG, you usually will not have one.

I think the SGU grads all get a chair letter. It is literally the same letter, word for word, for each of them. It's completely useless.
LOL how does that happen? we rotate at different places so there are different IM Chairs...

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
IMG YOG 2016. Applying to FAmily medicine and internal medicine
I saw many IM programs requiring one of the LoRs from chairman of department of medicine. I currently have 2 US LOR(1FM 1IM) and 1 from my home country. Since I don't really know the department chair personally(Never worked with him), I have no idea how to fetch this.
I read elsewhere saying Chairman letter doesn't matter for IMGs. Should I attempt applying to those programs requiring chairman letter without one?
generally most students don't know their IM chief...I just went to the Chief's office and asked his secretary what i needed to do (she knew everything!) and she just called him and asked if he would write the letter i needed...he said no problem. I'm sure it was a pretty generic letter (since basically we knew each other by face and name) but it checked off the box for me.

Just ask the Chair of where you did your IM core and see if (s)he will do it. Otherwise, don't worry so much since it sounds like the CW is for IMGs to not have one.

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
They were all written by someone named Dr. Fred Jacobs. They were all virtually identical, at least the ones I saw.
lol, evidently he is the Chair of the Dept of Medicine since 2012 (looked on the website)...when i was there, we had to ask the Chair of Medicine at the place we did our Medicine core.

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
lol, evidently he is the Chair of the Dept of Medicine since 2012 (looked on the website)...when i was there, we had to ask the Chair of Medicine at the place we did our Medicine core.
Which makes far more sense.

About the Ads