Chair's LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thesauce

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do I need an IM chair's LOR to apply for prelim IM?

The program websites are very unclear about this.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on the program, have to check each programs site. Some specifically say they do or don't want one, some don't say. I am submitting one for the ones that stated they want one.

Oh dear. The chair at my school hardly ever works on the wards, and when she does, she's usually in the MICU. I foresee a extremely generic letter in my future.

i think 30-40% of prelim medicine programs require it.

The "chair letter" in IM is usually a summary of your performance on all IM rotations, not a specific letter from the chair (although many chairs sign all such letters). It's like a mini-dean's letter, just IM only. Some are really crappy and generic. There's nothing you can do.

I am pretty sure it's expected to be a generic compilation of your IM rotation and not a personal eval. That is what they told us at the meeting. I see this requirement as a stupid nuisance, but oh well.

will programs review applications and grant interviews without all the required LOR's or they wait till all the LOR have been in and uploaded?

The "chair letter" in IM is usually a summary of your performance on all IM rotations, not a specific letter from the chair (although many chairs sign all such letters). It's like a mini-dean's letter, just IM only. Some are really crappy and generic. There's nothing you can do.

Is this needed for preliminary medicine programs as well or just for categorical residency programs that you apply to?

Is this needed for preliminary medicine programs as well or just for categorical residency programs that you apply to?

Yes as i said 30-40% of PRELIM programs appear to require it.