Challenge/Diversity Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to plan these out and have an idea for both but would love feedback on them.

Challenge
Discuss an experience as a tutor where i was tutoring a high school student from a group home who did not want to work at all. He ended up sitting there for 20 minutes and then got up and left for another 20 minutes. In the time that he left i had to devise a way to get him to learn and work so I noticed he picked up a deck of cards and when he came back i incorporated the cards into the lessons i was teaching him and he became interested. Ended up tutoring him for a few more weeks and we discussed neuroscience (my major) and college.

Diversity
Coming from a home where my parents divorced late in my life (summer before college) and dealing with my mom coming out to me as being LGBTQ. Was a challenging experience for me but I feel like it has contributed to who i am and my work ethic/personality. Also had health issues but do not want to restate my PS.

Please let me know your guys' thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro I never said I wasn't tolerant of LGBT individuals but I understand your point. I will find a way to phrase it better

Members don't see this ad :)
My thoughts are that your diversity essay will be poor. I would recommend choosing a different topic.

An experience and subsequent trait/characteristic that will add something special to the class of 2023 and the patient's who will rely on them for care. I have a feeling you are about to hear the word introspection.
I have a fun little exercise that I like to use for this. If you're still struggling after giving it some thought PM me.

Reactions: 1 user