Challenge faced secondary prompt question: studying for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ready2go2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One secondary question asks about a challenge I faced and how I addressed it. I was originally going to write about economic hardship throughout life but I read one thread where LizzyM said think of short term challenges. The next best thing I came up with is studying for the MCAT. It is an expensive test and even more expensive to study for it. I studied on my own while working a full time demanding job (because need to contribute to family financially and not working wasn't an option). Is this not a good answer?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the advice for short-term problems just for the challenge ones? For the adversity essays I talked about long term family stuff and how I handled it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does not re-taking a 36 constitute a personal challenge? Serious question, and asking for a friend.

My friend got a 36 on the old MCAT and considered retaking it.

I think it shows restraints and receptiveness to advice. Good qualities, aren't they?....

My friend got a 36 on the old MCAT and considered retaking it.

I think it shows restraints and receptiveness to advice. Good qualities, aren't they?....

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not trolling. No, that would be a terrible essay to write about. The fact that he would admit that he considered retaking would hurt his application.

You're going to come off as very boring =(

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not trolling. No, that would be a terrible essay to write about. The fact that he would admit that he considered retaking would hurt his application.
well, not trolling. My friend seriously considered writing about it. And I thought it would be a unique topic too...

well, not trolling. My friend seriously considered writing about it. And I thought it would be a unique topic too...

There has to be something more compelling to write about other than your friend "restraining" himself from retaking a 36 mcat.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year and live a little if your biggest hardship was studying for a test that we all have studied for.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a gap year and live a little if your biggest hardship was studying for a test that we all have studied for.

Umm...well I'm poor black and first generation college student, obviously all hardships, but I read somewhere about writing about something short term. I guess I'll stick with general life issues instead.

I was going to focus on juggling working full time, not being able to afford proper prep material etc etc. but I'll definitely take everyone's advice

Umm...well I'm poor black and first generation college student

Then why the hell are you thinking about writing about the MCAT? This is admissions gold I tell you. Gold. Especially if you have decent stats.

image.jpeg

Then why the hell are you thinking about writing about the MCAT? This is admissions gold I tell you. Gold. Especially if you have decent stats.

View attachment 206830

LOL, well I figured that info is already in my primary I wanted to change it up a bit for the secondary. My stats are just ok 3.4/514

LOL, well I figured that info is already in my primary I wanted to change it up a bit for the secondary. My stats are just ok 3.4/514

I'm not the greatest resource on MD admissions but if you can be coherent in essays then that MCAT will get you some serous love. You don't have to use the same info you did in your primary, surely you have some specific instances that could be used as good essay fodder.

AA first generation + work to support the family+ 514 = :banana:

Reactions: 1 users