MD Challenging a grade ? ( Anatomy )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xhocolatniac

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This can seem weird to US students and even most European students, but I live in Hungary and the Bibliography for Anatomy consists of 2 books: one is full of correct information and the other....well, it has some mistakes.
The problem is that the professor who teaches the Anatomy course owns the book that has mistakes and every year the exam also contains questions that have the wrong answers, but they are considered right, because it's in the book.
Now I was thinking: most students never challenge grades. Not because they wouldn't know what's right, but because they learn the information that is in the book - they don't mind that it contains errors.

I want to make a decision whether to learn the correct information and then challenge my grade when the exam comes ( in the case in which there are going to be errors in the questions & answers ) , OR learn the not-so-correct information and just ace my tests ?

Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

This can seem weird to US students and even most European students, but I live in Hungary and the Bibliography for Anatomy consists of 2 books: one is full of correct information and the other....well, it has some mistakes.
The problem is that the professor who teaches the Anatomy course owns the book that has mistakes and every year the exam also contains questions that have the wrong answers, but they are considered right, because it's in the book.
Now I was thinking: most students never challenge grades. Not because they wouldn't know what's right, but because they learn the information that is in the book - they don't mind that it contains errors.

I want to make a decision whether to learn the correct information and then challenge my grade when the exam comes ( in the case in which there are going to be errors in the questions & answers ) , OR learn the not-so-correct information and just ace my tests ?

Thanks !

If this were my class, I'd present the information to the professor beforehand, showing him the discrepancies and asking him to clarify the material with a tertiary source. Do not attempt to challenge material post examination, it may hinder future academic progress.

Reactions: 1 user
If this were my class, I'd present the information to the professor beforehand, showing him the discrepancies and asking him to clarify the material with a tertiary source. Do not attempt to challenge material post examination, it may hinder future academic progress.
But trust me, the information has been presented to the professor beforehand many times.
He knows it, he doesn't care.
As long as the books sell, because everyone is buying them to study for the exams, that is all he cares about.

As for "Do not attempt to challenge material post examination, it may hinder future academic progress" - What do you mean ?
He is going to retire in 1-2 years.
I don't think he can do anything to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a similar problem in our anatomy course, although the fault isn't with the professor, and the faculty is very good about being lenient about it. We use 3 different primary anatomy resources, all which have slight variations between them. For example, one book will state that a certain back muscle inserts on spinous processes C1-C4, and the other says C1-C3. The professors cite this as real "anatomical variation", and will give full credit for either answer.

But if your book has info that is just plain wrong, I don't know about that. I'd say the best thing to do is to say ask him which information you're responsible for knowing not for the exam, but for being a physician in the future, so you can be the most accurate when dealing with patients.

there is anatomical variation that primary resources dont agree upon. In instances like that it is best to go by what source was used in the class. If there is a straight up mistake it should not be included in an exam and i dont see a problem in challenging that question ( we have the option to challenge certain questions in our exams). That being said, in your instance I dont see what this would get you. If the professor is adamant on the "mistakes" and uses that book to create the exam it is in your best interest to learn the material provided to you and answer accordingly on exams.