Chance? 502 mcat 3.7 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wumbo12

Reaction score
What my chances are of getting into any DO school don’t care which one just want to get into a school.

MCAT was 502 128/121/128/125, was a little shocked about the psych cause I was averaging about 127-128 in that section. I suck ass at CARS so not surprised at the score but It still hurts.

GPA is 3.75 with a strong upward trend.
Sophomore year 3.7
junior 3.8
Senior year 4.0

Only reason its a little lower is b/c I got a 2.75 my first semester.
300 hours ER volunteer. I volunteered during one summer my junior year, only stopped volunteering here because I got a job as a scribed at a different ER.

>2000 working as a scribed in a ER. Defiantly my best EC.

200 hours shadowing a cardiologist. Defiantly plan on shadowing a couple more docs.

LOR I have a couple of letters from former professors, 1 from my college advisor, and 1 from a MD that I work with as a scribe. Plan on getting a committee letter, I’m also going to try to get one letter from a DO in the next couple of months.

Not that it really matters but I was a part of a biology honor society during college and society of leadership and success ( 1 semester each).

Do I have a decent shot at getting in somewhere? I get that my EC are pretty bad and my MCAT is atrousious, I plan on volunteering somewhere and shadowing a couple of docs( preferably DO) over the next month. I really don’t want to retake the MCAT but I will if I have to.

Members don't see this ad.

With those stats (GPA and MCAT), you will receive some interview invites from some of the newer DO schools if you can highlight a few volunteer/leadership experiences, although the CARS section will definitely raise some eyebrows. You're unlikely to be at the top of the list of the more established DO schools (DMU, PCOM-PA, ATSU, etc.) Based on your post, I would make sure your personal statement and the rest of your application are checked for grammatical/spelling errors.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on applying during 2021-2022 cycle and live in SC.

I plan on applying during 2021-2022 cycle and live in SC.
If you're applying during the next cycle, I would study for an MCAT retake with specific focus on increasing CARS section to maximize you chances for success. Even if you get interviews, you will receive questions about why that section is so low.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly not what I wanted to hear but I think your right. Retaking the MCAT is going to suck but I think it’s the best way to maximize my chances of getting into med school unless I can find the cure to cancer in the next couple of months lol.

What my chances are of getting into any DO school don’t care which one just want to get into a school.

MCAT was 502 128/121/128/125, was a little shocked about the psych cause I was averaging about 127-128 in that section. I suck ass at CARS so not surprised at the score but It still hurts.

Sophomore year 3.7
junior 3.8
Senior year 4.0

300 hours ER volunteer. I volunteered during one summer my junior year, only stopped volunteering here because I got a job as a scribed at a different ER.

200 hours shadowing a cardiologist. Defiantly plan on shadowing a couple more docs.

LOR I have a couple of letters from former professors, 1 from my college advisor, and 1 from a MD that I work with as a scribe. Plan on getting a committee letter, I’m also going to try to get one letter from a DO in the next couple of months.

Not that it really matters but I was a part of a biology honor society during college and society of leadership and success ( 1 semester each).

Do I have a decent shot at getting in somewhere? I get that my EC are pretty bad and my MCAT is atrousious, I plan on volunteering somewhere and shadowing a couple of docs( preferably DO) over the next month. I really don’t want to retake the MCAT but I will if I have to.
You're fine with a broad application, but skip the Touros, CCOM and AZCOM. Include UNECOM if you’re from the NE, OSUCOM if you’re from the Plains states and PacNW if you’re from that region. I can't recommend Nova, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.

If you increase your MCAT to 505 you could receive interviews at your South Carolina MD schools. For DO schools I suggest these with your current MCAT of 502
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
CUSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
WCU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM

I'm an overrepresented applicant who applied with similar stats to you. 3.67cGPA and 502 MCAT with a 122 CARS section. Sent in 18 secondaries and received 11 interview invites which I attended 7 of them. Currently an OMS-1 now at Touro. I don't know if I just got lucky but you should have a strong chance at most schools. PM me if you have any questions or want to know more about my app.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an overrepresented applicant who applied with similar stats to you. 3.67cGPA and 502 MCAT with a 122 CARS section. Sent in 18 secondaries and received 11 interview invites which I attended 7 of them. Currently an OMS-1 now at Touro. I don't know if I just got lucky but you should have a strong chance at most schools. PM me if you have any questions or want to know more about my app.

Sophomore year 3.7
junior 3.8
Senior year 4.0

Wrote a post above ^