Chance at DO School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Big Don

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay. So here we go.

I graduated from an Ivy League university in 2006 with a degree in history and an impressive GPA of 2.75.

Then, I went to work on an indian reservation doing work for Indians since I am 1/2 native (and can back it up on paper).

My state of residency is probably Michigan but I have very strong Ohio ties.

I went back to school and started working on my prereqs.

Here is what I have:

Gen Chem I A
Gen Chem II A
Bio I C
retook A
Bio II B
retaking A (expected this semester)
Orgo I A
Orgo II F (didnt drop in time)
Physics I B-
Lab B+
Physics II B

In the fall, I was planning on taking Microbiology, Inorganic Chemistry I, Biochemistry. In the Spring, I was gonna go for Genetics, Cell Bio, and Inorganic Chem II. I really like Chemistry and wish I had done more of this when I was younger.

EC:
Patient Advocate: spent six months (10hrs/wk) helping people appeal insurance benefits denials.

Volunteer: spend 4/wk working at free clinic in inner city.

Shadowed a DO physician.

MCAT: scored a 30 on a full length practice test with even distribution.

I was wondering if I applied this fall if I would be competitive at a DO school (like OUCOM or MSUCOM or LECOM) or whether I should do another year of coursework to pick up my GPA some more and apply in 2011. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

What will your GPA be after getting an A in Orgo II?

I'd suggest retaking some of your lower classes (assuming you have others that are below a B) and getting some As to get your GPA above a 3.0.

I know that the average for DO schools is something like a 3.45. I think you have a very good chance once you bring your GPA up. Your MCAT is already good enough for them, so no need to do anything with that.

Retake a few classes, the ones where you got less then C+'s in. So if you can re-do some D's and C-'s and get A's your gpa will shot up. However you'll probably need a whole year of retaking to get up to a 3.4 to be competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay. So here we go.

I graduated from an Ivy League university in 2006 with a degree in history and an impressive GPA of 2.75.

Then, I went to work on an indian reservation doing work for Indians since I am 1/2 native (and can back it up on paper).

My state of residency is probably Michigan but I have very strong Ohio ties.

I went back to school and started working on my prereqs.

Here is what I have:

Gen Chem I A
Gen Chem II A
Bio I C
retook A
Bio II B
Orgo I A
Orgo II F (didnt drop in time)
Physics I B-
Lab B+
Physics II B

In the fall, I was planning on taking Microbiology, Inorganic Chemistry I, Biochemistry. In the Spring, I was gonna go for Genetics, Cell Bio, and Inorganic Chem II. I really like Chemistry and wish I had done more of this when I was younger.

EC:
Patient Advocate: spent six months (10hrs/wk) helping people appeal insurance benefits denials.

Volunteer: spend 4/wk working at free clinic in inner city.

Shadowed a DO physician.

MCAT: scored a 30 on a full length practice test with even distribution.

I was wondering if I applied this fall if I would be competitive at a DO school (like OUCOM or MSUCOM or LECOM) or whether I should do another year of coursework to pick up my GPA some more and apply in 2011. Thanks for your help.

First, congrats on having the work ethic to follow through with these classes and for doing well. I'd echo Softmed's statements. I know you're working hard already, but retaking the B- might help you considerably.

Also, are you taking a Kaplan class? If not, I suggest you research some of their materials and try to teach yourself MCAT strategy. A well-distributed 30 means you've got a good base of knowledge and you're navigating the test pretty well. Sharpening your strategy might enable you to raise it a couple points without too much extra effort, and that will help make a case for you.

What will your GPA be after getting an A in Orgo II?

I'd suggest retaking some of your lower classes (assuming you have others that are below a B) and getting some As to get your GPA above a 3.0.

I know that the average for DO schools is something like a 3.45. I think you have a very good chance once you bring your GPA up. Your MCAT is already good enough for them, so no need to do anything with that.

After this semester, I will have:

An overall GPA of 2.9, PostBacc GPA of 3.37 (Damn Orgo II), and a sGPA of 3.29.

Having looked over the advice offered, I am going to hold off another year and take some upper level Biology courses like Biochem, Genetics, Cell Bio, and Anatomy.

After this semester, I will have:

An overall GPA of 2.9, PostBacc GPA of 3.37 (Damn Orgo II), and a sGPA of 3.29.

Having looked over the advice offered, I am going to hold off another year and take some upper level Biology courses like Biochem, Genetics, Cell Bio, and Anatomy.

Is that your schools gpa calculation? Or is that after you replaced the lower grades with the retaken ones?

With grade replacement, we are looking at:

An overall GPA of 3.00; a BCPM GPA of 3.81; and a post bacc GPA of 3.86.

Grade replacement makes me look so much better. :)

With grade replacement, we are looking at:

An overall GPA of 3.00; a BCPM GPA of 3.81; and a post bacc GPA of 3.86.

Grade replacement makes me look so much better. :)

I can say that it looks a lot better lol. A high BCPM gpa is a very good thing to have. However the overal gpa could use a nice boost up to around 3.3 or more.

Be aware that there are some DO schools that consider applications with a cGPA as low as 2.5, more that take a 2.75, and a lot that consider 3.0. With your strong upward grade trend, and a decent MCAT score, you might apply this cycle (if the ECs are sufficient). For DO school cGPA cutoffs, see:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=7199902&postcount=2

hes also half native american, doesn't that make him URM.

DO schools practice grade replacement so you can raise that GPA.....

With some work, I def think you can have a shot at DO; maybe even MD as a Native American with a 30+ MCAT.

Scored a 32P on the MCAT. 11BS, 11VS, 10PS (Physics sucks).

In the fall, taking Metabolic Pathways, Inorganic Chemistry, Pharmacology at the Med School, and Microbiology.

Considering the update, what do you think my chances are?

I don't see any reason why you can't send AACOMAS in this year. Your cGPA is still kinda low but your MCAT is solid, your sGPA and post-bacc GPAs are great, and you're URM. Have you been continuing with your ECs?

I don't see any reason why you can't send AACOMAS in this year. Your cGPA is still kinda low but your MCAT is solid, your sGPA and post-bacc GPAs are great, and you're URM. Have you been continuing with your ECs?

Shadowing a primary care physician right now, volunteering at a hospital.

Might take cell bio towards the second half of the summer.

I was wondering whether, considering my MCAT and my upward trend, if waiting until next year and taking upper level biochem and bio courses would put me into a position to take a shot at MD.

DO schools practice grade replacement so you can raise that GPA.....

With some work, I def think you can have a shot at DO; maybe even MD as a Native American with a 30+ MCAT.

Someone asked me earlier if DO schools only look at the highest MCAT score as well. Anyone know?

Shadowing a primary care physician right now, volunteering at a hospital.

Might take cell bio towards the second half of the summer.

I was wondering whether, considering my MCAT and my upward trend, if waiting until next year and taking upper level biochem and bio courses would put me into a position to take a shot at MD.

According to http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-mcatgpa-grid-hbn-3race.pdf about half of URM applicants with your current stats (2.9 and 32) got in. I'd say you'd be in fine shape by next year, for sure. With grade replacement you said you were working with a 3.0 c GPA, a 3.85 sGPA and a 32, so for DO school you should be fine, as long as your ECs are in order. It's up to you, go for DO this year or MD next.