Chance at MD? c3.83. s3.86

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disulfidebond23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all, a bit new to this forum as a poster, I’ve been shadowing for awhile. Anyway, I’m trying to decide whether I want to go the PA or MD route. I’d like to see if I even had a chance at MD though.

I’m graduating in the spring with a BS in biology from a state school, first bachelor’s degree.cGPA 3.83 sGPA 3.86. I haven’t taken the MCAT, I’m studying for it now.

I have around 750+ hours as an ER scribe, and 600 hours thus far as a medical assistant for a private practice.
I don’t have any recent volunteer experience, only hours from high school, and I’m working on doing more. I know I still need shadowing hours, too.

I’ll also have about 120+ hours of research, though it’s just for an entomology lab, and my name isn’t on anything.

Basically, with the little information I have, do I have a chance at MD if I score decent on the MCAT? What score would I need? I would really like to get into one of my state schools for the resident tuition.

Is my app okay without all the volunteering and shadowing? I suspect not, but I’m wondering if it would suffice.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Useless without an MCAT score. Your GPA is high so above a 510 and you should be fine if you apply broadly.

With your GPA you could be competitive for MD schools depending on your MCAT score. For DO schools, you could receive interviews as long as your MCAT is at least 500.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DO: 500+ MD: 510+ Top 20s: 520+ though still crapshoot. You don't strictly need clinical volunteering hours, but you will need nonclinical volunteering and shadowing hours. 300 hours of nonclinical volunteering and 50 hours of shadowing should put you in a fairly good place. "Cookie cutter" nonclinical volunteering and shadowing - enough to not be immediately DOA: 100 nonclinical, 20 clinical including primary care.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies! I see that my app needs some work, and I need to do well on the MCAT. Your advice helps give me some guidance, though. Thank you!