Chance at Podiatry School this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheProcess76

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been recently thinking about Podiatry and wanted to see if I have stats that may give me a chance at applying this cycle or if I should wait 2 years and do a masters program first in either Biomed sciences or Health Systems Engineering to boost my gpa? I got a 487 on the MCAT the first time, but I am going to retake it again this summer. As for my gpa, I have a 3.12 overall gpa, 3.02 BCP, and 2.86 BCPM (you can tell that math was my weakest subject a which screwed me).

I have been out of college for 2.5 years and have good shadowing and volunteering experience across all fields of healthcare (med, dental, pharm), but need to do more in podiatry since I recently decided that it is what I want to pursue. In addition, I have worked as a lab tech doing cell bank characterization assays and am currently working at a cardiac monitoring company working in their contracting department. I was pretty involved in college and had leadership positions as a resident assistant at along with couple clubs I was apart of. In addition, luckily, one of the professors working in the research institute I was working wanted me to assist on a oncolytic virotherapy review paper which later got published so I guess that helps too.

Suppose I am able to get my mcat in the mid 490s (obviously I am shooting for higher than that) would you think it is in my best interest to apply or work on increasing my gpa by spending 50k on a masters program? Thank you all for your help. I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion, I would spend all your energy on boosting your MCAT score to a 494+ this summer. If it's too late to apply for the fall, you may be able to get into NYCPM for the January term. I don't think you need to spend money on a Master's program. Also, it's imperative to shadow a podiatrist to make sure this is the field you want to specialize in. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
In my opinion, I would spend all your energy on boosting your MCAT score to a 494+ this summer. If it's too late to apply for the fall, you may be able to get into NYCPM for the January term. I don't think you need to spend money on a Master's program. Also, it's imperative to shadow a podiatrist to make sure this is the field you want to specialize in. Good luck!
Thanks for your advice! I am going to study hard for the mcat and hope for the best. Just curious since you are already successful through the application process, some sites say that math classes are part of the non science gpa while others say they include as part of the science gpa. What exactly is the right answer to that?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your advice! I am going to study hard for the mcat and hope for the best. Just curious since you are already successful through the application process, some sites say that math classes are part of the non science gpa while others say they include as part of the science gpa. What exactly is the right answer to that?
Great question. I believe only Physics 1 & 2 are included in the science GPA. All other math classes are included in the non-science GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
Great question. I believe only Physics 1 & 2 are included in the science GPA. All other math classes are included in the non-science GPA.
Thank you! I sure hope that is right because it would make a huge difference for me

I would get your MCAT up and a DPM letter for the best chance.

Above answer is correct. Math is NOT part of science GPA

Just spend all your time and money on MCAT. Getting MCAT above 496 should probably be good enough for most schools. If you get 500 or more, it will increase your chances for all schools.

Average sGPA is 3.2, cGPA is 3.4 and MCAT is 496 across all schools. So you are standing below all school averages right now. Find good resources, talk to some people and figure out what needs to be done to get good MCAT score this time. If you have not changed much, I would advise against taking it this summer. The latest MCAT is like first week of September. You still have time to get ready for that.

Just spend all your time and money on MCAT. Getting MCAT above 496 should probably be good enough for most schools. If you get 500 or more, it will increase your chances for all schools.

Average sGPA is 3.2, cGPA is 3.4 and MCAT is 496 across all schools. So you are standing below all school averages right now. Find good resources, talk to some people and figure out what needs to be done to get good MCAT score this time. If you have not changed much, I would advise against taking it this summer. The latest MCAT is like first week of September. You still have time to get ready for that.
What MCAT resources have you been using so far? I would recommend focusing on the AAMC practice material, especially the section bank and full lengths.

Also, I agree it would be wise to give yourself more time and wait until September to take the MCAT. That way, you will maximize your studying time and still be considered early in the applicant pool.

What MCAT resources have you been using so far? I would recommend focusing on the AAMC practice material, especially the section bank and full lengths.

Also, I agree it would be wise to give yourself more time and wait until September to take the MCAT. That way, you will maximize your studying time and still be considered early in the applicant pool.
I have taken it many years ago. Primarily used Kaplan and some other resources. There is MCAT section here on SDN. There are a bunch or ideas they share.

Thank you all for the advice. Currently I am scheduled to take the MCAT Aug 1st since it is the last date I can get my score back in 2 weeks and have enough time to take it a 3rd time if necessary. After recalculating my gpa the way AACPMAS would calculate it, I would be a 3.02 science and 3.25 non science so hopefully it will look better! Luckily I was able to find a podiatrist in my area who is willing to let me shadow him in for a day, but I really hope he will let me do some more shadowing later and I could possibly get a letter of rec from him. I hope you all have a great weekend!

The latest MCAT is September 28, 2020.

Im in the same situation as you, 490 on my MCAT 3.2 cGPA hoping for the January term but my exam is aug 29, luckily they made all the score reports in two weeks!!
Also, i heard the class is much smaller for January, about 20-30 students, does anyone know how many students apply to the Jan program?

kinda nervous if you cant see!

Lastly, Im having issues sending my score to AACPMAS, NYCPM contacted me saying they recieved a score but it wasnt verfied! Ugh, anyone else have a similar issue?

Is Septemer considered early in the pool for Jan??

NYCPM website states you have until November 30th to apply for the January term. I believe you can still apply before your MCAT scores are released. I would apply as early as you can and then just update them once you find out your scores. I would also give them a call and explain your situation. Good luck!