Chance for HPSP (late in cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Invisibility

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I would like to know what my chances are for the 4-year Health Profession Scholarship Program (HPSP) for both the Army and Navy, considering that I have just contacted a recruiter today. I hope to have everything submitted by the end of November.

I am in my senior year at university and submitted my dental school apps in August.

DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/27/21/30/none
sGPA: 3.99 | oGPA: 3.99
Shadowing: ~100 hours at a GP
Research: Began earlier this Spring in anthropology, left that lab after 1 semester and have joined a new lab in dental implantology. Have submitted an abstract for a national conference.
Volunteer: Dental outreach trip to the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks (approx 80 hrs). Nothing else considerable.
Other extracurriculars: Leadership in Pre-Dental Club, TA for organic chemistry for 2.5 years.
LoR: Fairly strong from 3 science professors and 1 humanities professor. No letter from a dentist or someone in the armed forces.
Any relation with Army/Navy: None. I do not have family in the armed forces, nor do I know anyone personally.

How competitive am I for the program as someone who is just beginning the application process? Does anyone have tips regarding the application process/working with a recruiter? I appreciate any feedback offered.

Members don't see this ad.

You have top stats in terms of DAT and GPA, so that's a no brainer that you don't need to worry there. I know for Army you need 5 professional LOR and 3 character LOR, and the higher the rank the better, so you'll probably want to try and get in touch with any type of congresspeople or military, or dentist at the minimum. Definitely still recommend working with a recruiter on the process, but would try and get some new letters of recommendation and not just use all the same you used for your dental app.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of questions:
1) Is it true that all Navy 3 year HPSP Scholarships are only awarded to people waitisted for the 4 year Navy scholarship the year before? Does Army and AF have the same policy for 3 year HPSP Scholarships?
2) How competitive is it to get a 3 year HPSP scholarship from any branch? How many positions and applicants are there each year? If any of you have been awarded the 3 year scholarship, please personal message me. I have more questions for you!
3) Do 2 year HPSP scholarships with a 3 year payback period exist for dental school? If so, how competitive are these scholarships?
4) Let's say I am selected for an HPSP scholarship in late January. Is it possible for me to tell the military something around the lines of "I will not accept the scholarship until I am notified of an acceptance from my top dental school (which could realistically be up until April)"?
5) Is it too late to apply for a 4 year Navy scholarship now?