Chance for MD? URM (123 Cars)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.BrownBean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, last year you guys helped me figure out what to do after writing a bad first MCAT 123/120/124/125 for a total of 492. Nevertheless, I am a long time lurker and don't interact with you guys as much as I should. Anyways, I recently took the MCAT a second time and scored:126/123/126/126 for a 501 overall.

As a second generation Mexican American with a:
3.74 upward trend cGPA and a 3.8 sGPA
1.5 year and on-going of research with a poster presentation at Sigma Xi,
5 different leadership experiences each lasting longer than 4 months,
120 hours and on-going of non-medical volunteer work (with "high risk" grade school kids),
88 hours of physician shadowing (NICU and PEDS),
2190 and on-going of direct patient exposure working as a Behavioral Health Tech and a Critical Care Tech in the hospital,

what are my chances of being accepted primarily into an MD school good? I have been messing around with the Lizzy M and WARS score. According to the WARS guidelines, I should be applying to 30 schools and be considering applying to some DO. In your opinion, is 30 schools overkill, and how much consideration should I put into applying solely DO or at least what percent of schools should be DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi Faha, thanks for taking a look at my post and being willing to lend some advice. I am a second generation Mexican American.

Members don't see this ad :)
Which URM group do you belong to?
Mexican American. I have just edited that information into my post. I guess I can’t receive adequate advice with out indicating which specific URM group I fall into, haha my bad.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Utah
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are only 50% and that includes applicants that are accepted to the Puerto Rican schools. You need to apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM
ATSU-SOMA
LECOM

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Utah
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
George Washington
Georgetown
Loyola
St. Louis
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Seton Hall
NOVA MD
California University
any new schools that open for 2019 (Kaiser, Roseman)
The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are only 50% and that includes applicants that are accepted to the Puerto Rican schools. You need to apply broadly to DO schools and I suggest all these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
UIWSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
NYIT-Arkansas
RVU-Utah
ICOM
ATSU-SOMA
LECOM
Would you suggest I apply to these many schools or narrow it down to a shorter list? What about Texas schools, should I shoot some applications that way? I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

You need to apply to many schools due to your low MCAT scores. The Texas schools have a strong instate preference (>90%) and accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores.

Reactions: 1 user
You need to apply to many schools due to your low MCAT scores. The Texas schools have a strong instate preference (>90%) and accept very few non residents with your MCAT scores.
What do you think about retaking the MCAT a third time? Am I better of applying large and broadly while strengthing my volunteer and research, or retaking for a third time? How does the rest of my application look? Thanks again for taking time to read and respond to my questions.

Look into applying to the UCLA/Drew program as well

What were your practice scores before your most recent MCAT?
AAMC FL3 127/123/127/127
AAMC FL2 130/123/129/125
AAMC FL1 129/125/128/128

FL3 was the most representative of my actual. The reason why could be that I had taken FL1 and 2 for my first attempt. I’ve literally exhausted all my materials. Next step tests 1-6, Altius test 1-8, cars 101, TPR verbal...

AAMC FL3 127/123/127/127
AAMC FL2 130/123/129/125
AAMC FL1 129/125/128/128

FL3 was the most representative of my actual. The reason why could be that I had taken FL1 and 2 for my first attempt. I’ve literally exhausted all my materials. Next step tests 1-6, Altius test 1-8, cars 101, TPR verbal...
As you can see, CARS has always been my week point and wild card. I feel like I understand the passages yet I still get questions wrong. In all my test, I have always scored 121-127 on cars. It is never consistent like my other sections.

What do you think about retaking the MCAT a third time? Am I better of applying large and broadly while strengthing my volunteer and research, or retaking for a third time? How does the rest of my application look? Thanks again for taking time to read and respond to my questions.
I wouldn't consider retaking the MCAT unless you are confident you can score 505+ on it. If you apply broadly and have a solid personal statement and extracurriculars, then you should definitely get some DO interviews. The rest of your app looks good. I'm in the same boat as you with a 501 MCAT and a 123 in CARS. I was considering retaking it but I think its more effort than its worth, especially if you're happy with going to a DO school.

Your MCAT of 501 is fine for the DO schools I listed. You would need to increase your MCAT to >505 to significantly increase your MD chances.

Your MCAT of 501 is fine for the DO schools I listed. You would need to increase your MCAT to >505 to significantly increase your MD chances.
Thanks Faha. Unfortunately I don’t know if I can increase my cars section by much in a month and a half. I’ll focus on pre writing secondaries and applying early.

I just wanted to thank and update everyone who advised me through this application cycle. It has been a crazy roller coaster, to say the least, yet a rewarding one. As of today, I have been accepted into 3 MD schools, turned down an interview to a fourth MD program, and am in the alternate list for 1 DO school. I have decided to attend my state school and will be turning down my seat at the other programs. I wish all other applicants the best of luck and feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions regarding the application cycle or what I personally did to ensure my success.

Reactions: 10 users
Congrats!! I didn't realize this post was old and was going to stay don't retake the MCAT, yes apply to 30 schools and don't apply DO. Haha. Glad it all worked out!

Reactions: 1 user