chance for residency in the carribean? (IMG + US citizen + USMLE Steps passed)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buktot13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated from the Philippines, a US citizen and have just recently passed all USMLE steps..Im not very fond at cold climates, so training in the Carribean intreagues me.. what would be my chances at being accepted for an IM residency?what is training like over there? any input on the matter would be great..thank you.:)

Members don't see this ad.

is your reason for choosing a residency based on climates, but if you dont like the cold, you can always do your residency in california or probably arizona, if you can get a residency in NY...id say go for it. Cold climate is nothing close compared to what you will be dealing with as a resident or as a doctor for the rest of your life

Hi,

I graduated from the Philippines, a US citizen and have just recently passed all USMLE steps..Im not very fond at cold climates, so training in the Carribean intreagues me.. what would be my chances at being accepted for an IM residency?what is training like over there? any input on the matter would be great..thank you.:)

Why don't you just stay in the Phillipines if you are so afraid of the cold and have no desire to train in the USA?:scared:

Hi,

With all due respect, your post makes no sense with regards to the purpose of this forum.

If you are already granted a medical degree from a Philippines school and have gone through the effort to pass all the USMLE steps, you do not need to go to the Caribbean.

You need to complete your ECFMG certification and apply for residency in the U.S. You may be able to contact some programs that will allow you to "shadow" U.S. docs so you can get some recommendations.

The pathway you've pursued thus far does not "track" you for a "residency" in the Caribbean.

Otherwise, if you really meant what you said you might want to contact the University of West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica, which is a British-styled medical education program, that may have residency programs that are geared towards training doctors who will continue to live and practice somewhere in the Caribbean... if that's what you want. But, understand that pathway will not lead you to licensure in the U.S.

-Skip