Chance in Endo Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teeth1021

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am a 2020 grad, and I applied to Endo last year had 4 interviews but didn't get accepted into any :(

Here are my stats :
Top 25% of my class
95th percentile on ADAT (took it 11/2020)
Endo research experience during undergrad (no published paper)
1 year of private practice
100~120 cases of non surgical RCT

I applied to 13 schools last year and it was expensive...I am wondering if I should apply this year or work another year as a GP and then apply next year since my ADAT will still be valid for another year.
I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!
I am a 2020 grad, and I applied to Endo last year had 4 interviews but didn't get accepted into any :(

Here are my stats :
Top 25% of my class

I applied to 13 schools last year and it was expensive...I am wondering if I should apply this year or work another year as a GP and then apply next year since my ADAT will still be valid for another year.
Why not apply this year? apply to even more schools.

Yes its costly, but its really relatively cheap compared to most years. You don't have to fly out for interviews and that whole thing. Milk that and apply to as many places as possible imo. As you found out, endo rarely takes new grads.

Why not apply this year? apply to even more schools.

Yes its costly, but its really relatively cheap compared to most years. You don't have to fly out for interviews and that whole thing. Milk that and apply to as many places as possible imo. As you found out, endo rarely takes new grads.
Who says that interviews are going to be remote again this year? I’m willing to bet they’re going to be in person, or that option will at least be offered, which basically makes it mandatory.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to as many programs as you can unless you know if given an offer you wouldn’t attend a particular program then sure, don’t apply to that one. If/when you get an interview then you can choose whether or not to attend a given interview. The amount of RCT’s you’ve completed is very impressive for only 1 year of practice. My advice is don’t throw that number around like a trophy but be humble with your experiences.

Good luck!

You have great stats and a year more of experience will help your chances compared to last year. Apply to some programs that you didn't last year along with the ones you already did to increase your odds. Last year I was only going to apply to 10-15 programs, but decided to up it to around 25, and I got it to one of the programs that I added later. Applying broadly is a good way to go.

Who says that interviews are going to be remote again this year? I’m willing to bet they’re going to be in person, or that option will at least be offered, which basically makes it mandatory.
Definitely possible, but most programs I am familiar with stated they are indeed doing virtual. However anything is subject to change as you mentioned.

again though just because you apply to a program doesn't mean you will get an interview or match which is why applying broadly is important.

Hello!

Here are my stats :
Top 25% of my class

Apply again. Take it from me persistence is KEY! Also did you contact those directors and see how can you improve? (Based on your stats nothing lol) how did you feel the interviews went??. If endo is what you want apply again.