MD Chance Me 3.9 36 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SteveRope123

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctor Community,

I would like to be chanced for my top choices.

My app is very academic medicine oriented. I've done a lot of research and academic type extracurriculars.

Major: Biology
cGPA 3.93
sGPA 3.9
Mcat: 36

Extra Curriculars:

100 Hours Shadowed physicians of various specialties
50 hours Hospital Volunteer (didn't like it very much. Hospital had me do paperwork etc. Very little patient contact)
300 Hours Clinic Volunteer
3 Semesters Peer Mentor for Biology (helped tutor peers)
1 Month Tutor for High school troubled students (precedes peer mentoring by 2 months, will mention how it propelled me to want to teach college students)
2.5 Years Research Same Lab, 3 Posters, 1 First Author Publication in Neuroscience. (3.5 if including senior year)
1 Semester Summer Research Internship @ Out of State University
1 Years Student Council (Was elected for my second year which will be my senior year. Year after my App.)
2 Years Academic Council (worked with faculty to push forward agendas that are beneficial to both faculty and students, 3 years if including senior year post app)
2 years Student Liaison of Academic Affairs Committee on Board of Trustees/Governors (worked to push forward academic agendas that helped students/made curriculum better) My 3rd year will be my senior year.
1 Year Student Liaison of General Education Reform Committee

LOR:
Generic Science LOR's,
Great Nonscience LOR
Great Advisor LOR
Great Research LOR
Good Peer Mentor LOR
Good Clinic LOR

As you can see, my app is very academic oriented. This is what I am passionate about and therefore I want to go to an elite academic medicine institution.

Please Chance me for the following reach schools:

Stanford (Top choice. REALLY like curriculum)
John Hopkins
Harvard
Columbia
UPENN
Duke
Washington Uni in St. Louis
Yale
UCSF
Uni of Chicago
Uni of Michigan

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Members don't see this ad.

You are competitive for those schools, but they are also notoriously hard to get into.

To make your list good you need to add around ~5+ mid/low tier schools on top of those. Add your state schools especially.

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for those schools, but they are also notoriously hard to get into.

To make your list good you need to add around ~5+ mid/low tier schools on top of those. Add your state schools especially.
Oh, I know. I'm fairly confident I can get into the mid/low tiers. I just wanted to be chanced for the reach schools. I'm not exactly wealthy and I don't want to spend my money on applications that wouldn't take me anywhere unless I had a chance.

Thanks a lot for the advice though!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many schools are you planning on applying to---12? 15? 20?

Whatever it is I would make about half or so of your list these reach dream schools you listed. About 25% of them medium tier type schools(think UVA, Ohio State, Rochester, Einstein, USC, Emory, Hofstra, Case Western), add your state programs and add a few lower tier programs. For the lower tier program note the 90th percentile MCAT scores and schools where you are above it as well as schools that get tons of apps and are low yield: some good lower tier options could be Miami, Medical College Wisconsin, Saint Louis, Creighton, Oakland, Quinnipac, Wake Forest, U of Arizona and Tulane.

Oh, I know. I'm fairly confident I can get into the mid/low tiers. I just wanted to be chanced for the reach schools. I'm not exactly wealthy and I don't want to spend my money on applications that wouldn't take me anywhere unless I had a chance.

Thanks a lot for the advice though!

No one can guarantee anything but your numbers are at their medians and your activities are great, so you definitely have a shot.

I'd also look into: Sinai, Cornell, NYU, NW, Pitt. It seems like you are arbitrarily cutting off at top 10, which is not wise since schools 10-20 will offer you just as many opportunities.

No one can guarantee anything but your numbers are at their medians and your activities are great, so you definitely have a shot.

I'd also look into: Sinai, Cornell, NYU, NW, Pitt. It seems like you are arbitrarily cutting off at top 10, which is not wise since schools 10-20 will offer you just as many opportunities.
I'll look into those schools and their curriculums and decide which of them suits my personality best and add them to my list. Thanks!

How many schools are you planning on applying to---12? 15? 20?

Whatever it is I would make about half or so of your list these reach dream schools you listed. About 25% of them medium tier type schools(think UVA, Ohio State, Rochester, Einstein, USC, Emory, Hofstra, Case Western), add your state programs and add a few lower tier programs. For the lower tier program note the 90th percentile MCAT scores and schools where you are above it as well as schools that get tons of apps and are low yield: some good lower tier options could be Miami, Medical College Wisconsin, Saint Louis, Creighton, Oakland, Quinnipac, Wake Forest, U of Arizona and Tulane.

I'm applying to around 20 schools. 3 state, 11 Reach, 3-4 top 20, 2 safety. I will not be applying to DO because I'm not interested in its approach to medicine. The only way I would consider it is if I had to reapply.

I'll look into those schools and their curriculums and decide which of them suits my personality best and add them to my list. Thanks!

I'm applying to around 20 schools. 3 state, 11 Reach, 3-4 top 20, 2 safety. I will not be applying to DO because I'm not interested in its approach to medicine. The only way I would consider it is if I had to reapply.

All top 20 schools are reaches but by and large that should be ok. Probably a good idea to just replace a couple of those top 20's with more medium esque types such as Rochester, Einstein, Emory, USC, Hofstra and the like.

All top 20 schools are reaches but by and large that should be ok. Probably a good idea to just replace a couple of those top 20's with more medium esque types such as Rochester, Einstein, Emory, USC, Hofstra and the like.
To be quite honest, I'm fairly satisfied with my state schools curriculums. This way I'm also closer to my parents whom are getting fairly old now. The only reason/motivation I'd attend a medical school outside of my state would be because it's a dream school or because I didn't get into my state schools.

I feel like applying to medium esque types would be a waste of my time as I wouldn't attend them over my state schools. I think the ideal would be applying to a bunch of top 20's and then my state schools and a few safeties just in case.

To be quite honest, I'm fairly satisfied with my state schools curriculums. This way I'm also closer to my parents whom are getting fairly old now. The only reason/motivation I'd attend a medical school outside of my state would be because it's a dream school or because I didn't get into my state schools.

I feel like applying to medium esque types would be a waste of my time as I wouldn't attend them over my state schools. I think the ideal would be applying to a bunch of top 20's and then my state schools and a few safeties just in case.

Yeah it's a pretty small minor point about applying to medium tiers. The only reason I bring it up is because even a single top 20 acceptance is hardly a sure thing for anybody even those with 3.9/36's.

The purpose of medium tiers is what happens if you don't get into your state school; say the interview goes poorly, say there is something else they don't like about you? You really just wanna hedge your bet on big names then. In your case I don't really think there's that big of a difference between lower tiers and medium tiers OOS in terms of your chances. But if you want to apply to lower tiers and create more potential safeties in case you don't get into your State U that's fine; just be aware of schools 9oth percentile MCATs and if you are above it(which means you might be more likely to get screened out) and the low yield ones which get tons of apps or have some partial IS bias(ie might be best to avoid schools like Drexel, GW, G-town, Temple, Western Michigan, Va Tech etc).

Yeah it's a pretty small minor point about applying to medium tiers. The only reason I bring it up is because even a single top 20 acceptance is hardly a sure thing for anybody even those with 3.9/36's.

The purpose of medium tiers is what happens if you don't get into your state school; say the interview goes poorly, say there is something else they don't like about you? You really just wanna hedge your bet on big names then. In your case I don't really think there's that big of a difference between lower tiers and medium tiers OOS in terms of your chances. But if you want to apply to lower tiers and create more potential safeties in case you don't get into your State U that's fine; just be aware of schools 9oth percentile MCATs and if you are above it(which means you might be more likely to get screened out) and the low yield ones which get tons of apps or have some partial IS bias(ie might be best to avoid schools like Drexel, GW, G-town, Temple, Western Michigan, Va Tech etc).
I'm very fortunate to live in a state with more than 3 medical schools, so I think it'll work out. You're right though, I'll add a few mid tiers just in case.

So you probably don't like the allopathic approach to medicine then, since they are virtually the same lol
Or I don't like the idea of looking at the body as a whole and not being competitive for any residencies that I actually have an interest in. I also absolutely hate the DO environment. I know many students at DO schools, I've visited DO schools, and I've talked to administration about the DO School curriculum. I've also did the same with MD. I didn't blindly choose MD for money. I chose it because I did research on it and actually believe it's the career for me. So instead of taking a spot from someone else for a school that I know I wouldn't go to unless I absolutely have to (I'm fairly confident that I'm not in that position unless for some reason I bomb all my interviews), I'd rather let them get the spot.

I'm very fortunate to live in a state with more than 3 medical schools, so I think it'll work out. You're right though, I'll add a few mid tiers just in case.

Or I don't like the idea of looking at the body as a whole and not being competitive for any residencies that I actually have an interest in. I also absolutely hate the DO environment. I know many students at DO schools, I've visited DO schools, and I've talked to administration about the DO School curriculum. I've also did the same with MD. I didn't blindly choose MD for money. I chose it because I did research on it and actually believe it's the career for me. So instead of taking a spot from someone else for a school that I know I wouldn't go to unless I absolutely have to (I'm fairly confident that I'm not in that position unless for some reason I bomb all my interviews), I'd rather let them get the spot.

Oh I completely understand why you'd choose MD over DO. If only even for academic reasons. It seems you are interested in academic med as well so MD is far superior for that. I respect your opinion on the matter, but if you go to a top DO school with great clinical rotations, and do well on step 1, then you don't have nearly the limitations as you'd think and the curriculum and environment isn't as polar as you make it out to be. I just thought the way you phrased it made you sound a little naive.

Anyway, you are a great applicant. The only disservice you are doing to your app is applying later in the game. Applicants with your stats still never have a guaranteed shot at top schools. Applying broadly is best, but you may even get rejected from your safeties because of yield protection. Good luck!

So you don't like the idea of medicine. Got it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh I completely understand why you'd choose MD over DO. If only even for academic reasons. It seems you are interested in academic med as well so MD is far superior for that. I respect your opinion on the matter, but if you go to a top DO school with great clinical rotations, and do well on step 1, then you don't have nearly the limitations as you'd think and the curriculum and environment isn't as polar as you make it out to be. I just thought the way you phrased it made you sound a little naive.

Anyway, you are a great applicant. The only disservice you are doing to your app is applying later in the game. Applicants with your stats still never have a guaranteed shot at top schools. Applying broadly is best, but you may even get rejected from your safeties because of yield protection. Good luck!
Ah I apologize of bad wording on my part then. I've done my research. Like you said, with what my interests are in MD is really what works best. It doesn't mean DO is inferior in any way. It's just that it's not for me. Many of my extremely intelligent friends are DO and that doesn't make them below an MD. It's just a different approach and yields different paths.

You must be one of those I only got into DO and have to act like the two are equal in all aspects of medicine types to make yourself feel better. Nothing wrong with DO if you have a passion for it. Everything wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD and want to be a physician and so you begin to tell yourself that the two yield the same results and same paths.

You must be one of those I only got into DO and have to act like the two are equal in all aspects of medicine types to make yourself feel better. Nothing wrong with DO if you have a passion for it. Everything wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD and want to be a physician and so you begin to tell yourself that the two yield the same results and same paths.

No way. Please tell me you know that all of the body's organ systems work together. With all of that research experience, please tell me you learned something.

You come across as very arrogant and you sound like you lack maturity. Even if you had a 4.0 and a 45, if you display this type of attitude at interviews, you won't get in anywhere.

Reactions: 1 users

MDs look at the body as a whole as well. Nowadays, in terms of practice, MDs and DOs approach patients in similar, if not identical ways. I will give you that DOs have a tougher time matching in very competitive residencies, but DOs have as good a chance at matching most. The ED director at the hospital I scribe at is a D.O. and did his residency at Cleveland Clinic. Don't bash the DO profession, as many of your future colleagues will be DOs (especially with the carribean MD fiasco).

Reactions: 3 users
MDs look at the body as a whole as well. Nowadays, in terms of practice, MDs and DOs approach patients in similar, if not identical ways. I will give you that DOs have a tougher time matching in very competitive residencies, but DOs have as good a chance at matching most. The ED director at the hospital I scribe at is a D.O. and did his residency at Cleveland Clinic. Don't bash the DO profession, as many of your future colleagues will be DOs (especially with the carribean MD fiasco).
I don't bash DO's. It's simply not the approach that interacts with where my passions lie. I've stated above that many of my extremely intelligent friends are pursuing DO. People whom I consider much smarter and better than I am.

I have a problem with Igor type pre-meds. 'if you don't like DO, you must not like medicine lol' 'I'm DO don't u dare say it's not exactly like MD we are totally the same.' The inferiority complex is a pain.

I don't bash DO's. It's simply not the approach that interacts with where my passions lie. I've stated above that many of my extremely intelligent friends are pursuing DO. People whom I consider much smarter and better than I am.

I have a problem with Igor type pre-meds. 'if you don't like DO, you must not like medicine lol' 'I'm DO don't u dare say it's not exactly like MD we are totally the same.' The inferiority complex is a pain.

I think it's understood that academically, MDs are usually better off PRIOR to medical school. The kicker is during and after medical school; it's almost a "reset" button. The playing field is even, and the distinction comes based on residency placement. Nobody cares (or better said, nobody SHOULD care) if you are an MD or a DO. Residency and fellowships are the main determinants in the"superior" physician. But I will concede there will always be some semblance of an inferiority complex, which is understandable based on the public's awareness, or lack thereof, of DOs being equally trained to MD counterparts. Though if you have a trouble with this complex, wait until you interact with PAs, NPs, and RNs.

I think it's understood that academically, MDs are usually better off PRIOR to medical school. The kicker is during and after medical school; it's almost a "reset" button. The playing field is even, and the distinction comes based on residency placement. Nobody cares (or better said, nobody SHOULD care) if you are an MD or a DO. Residency and fellowships are the main determinants in the"superior" physician. But I will concede there will always be some semblance of an inferiority complex, which is understandable based on the public's awareness, or lack thereof, of DOs being equally trained to MD counterparts. Though if you have a trouble with this complex, wait until you interact with PAs, NPs, and RNs.
Hahahaha, not looking forward to it. I believe everyone should pursue what they like and should be content with where they end up. So it always bothers me to see an inferiority complex. It makes me wonder why they can't just be happy about their situation.

I didn't say that. Go back to what I originally quoted and what I bolded. I think you just don't understand I was emphasizing a very specific portion of your comment.

The "holistic approach" is a buzzword at this point that immediately makes me call BS. This is probably what he is referring to.

It has nothing to do with whether one organ affects the other...

The "holistic approach" is a buzzword at this point that immediately makes me call BS. This is probably what he is referring to.

Bingo :)

The holistic approach is simply taking into account the physical, emotional, and psychological contributions to pathology (asking a hypertensive patient about life at home, at work, etc.) in an attempt to prevent a recurrence of symptoms. This is also an example of how both MDs and DOs approach patients the exact same way...the only proponents of a difference between the two are the seniors who won't accept the real truth...MDs and DOs practice medicine more similar than not. Literally, the only difference between the two is DOs suggest more alternative therapies (acupuncture, OMM, etc.).

Last edited:
You're basically me.

Shotgun approach to top 20 (except UCLA, UCSD, U Washington), add state schools, add a few mid tiers (i.e. USC-Keck, Hofstra, Einstein, Rochester, Emory, UVA) and you're set.

If you're from California, add some more of the New York schools (Stony Brook etc) too (and apply to UCLA and UCSD).

Also please chill TFO about this whole "they want to do MD not DO therefore they're arrogant etc" thing. There are legitimate reasons for wanting to go to MD over DO and OP is not in a position where they need to apply to DO if they don't want to. There are disadvantages to going DO, particularly if you want to do academic medicine, as the OP has stated they want to. This doesn't need to turn into a pissing match.

Also listen to @GrapesofRath and @Banco.

You're golden, but you do need a longer list.

I would like to be chanced for my top choices.

My app is very academic medicine oriented. I've done a lot of research and academic type extracurriculars.

Major: Biology
cGPA 3.93
sGPA 3.9
Mcat: 36

Extra Curriculars:

100 Hours Shadowed physicians of various specialties
50 hours Hospital Volunteer (didn't like it very much. Hospital had me do paperwork etc. Very little patient contact)
300 Hours Clinic Volunteer
3 Semesters Peer Mentor for Biology (helped tutor peers)
1 Month Tutor for High school troubled students (precedes peer mentoring by 2 months, will mention how it propelled me to want to teach college students)
2.5 Years Research Same Lab, 3 Posters, 1 First Author Publication in Neuroscience. (3.5 if including senior year)
1 Semester Summer Research Internship @ Out of State University
1 Years Student Council (Was elected for my second year which will be my senior year. Year after my App.)
2 Years Academic Council (worked with faculty to push forward agendas that are beneficial to both faculty and students, 3 years if including senior year post app)
2 years Student Liaison of Academic Affairs Committee on Board of Trustees/Governors (worked to push forward academic agendas that helped students/made curriculum better) My 3rd year will be my senior year.
1 Year Student Liaison of General Education Reform Committee

LOR:
Generic Science LOR's,
Great Nonscience LOR
Great Advisor LOR
Great Research LOR
Good Peer Mentor LOR
Good Clinic LOR

As you can see, my app is very academic oriented. This is what I am passionate about and therefore I want to go to an elite academic medicine institution.

Please Chance me for the following reach schools:

Stanford (Top choice. REALLY like curriculum)
John Hopkins
Harvard
Columbia
UPENN
Duke
Washington Uni in St. Louis
Yale
UCSF
Uni of Chicago
Uni of Michigan

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

And IF you don't get into your state schools, or the top ones????? You can't guarantee anything. I urge you to approach this process rationally. For example, nearly all of your non-clinical volunteering is on-campus. The top schools might want someone who's willing to get off campus and out of their comfort zone.

Of your top school list, you're competitive, but Wash U, U Chicago, Stanford, and U Penn might be the hardest nuts to crack. I suggest all NYC schools, SUNY SB (assuming you're not from NY), Hofstra, Pitt, Northwestern, Baylor, Vandy, Rochester, Emory, U Miami, and Keck.

And hopefully you're a little more circumspect in real life than in on an anonymous message board. I'm not the only one noticing a whiff of arrogance. I'm not talking about the DO riff, but from other words of yours.

So if I have borderline MD stats, and I dont get into a single MD school, but go DO because I simply want to be a physician, then something is seriously wrong with my career choice?

I should keep applying to MD with no success, and decline any DO acceptances? At this point the only real difference between DO's and MD's is OMM. So basically if I am not super passionate about OMM, then I should never apply DO?

In my experience the people most focused on the idea of MD>DO and the aura of prestige from top med schools are those that went to ****ty undergrads and can't get over the fact that their alma mater will never be considered prestigious. Compensating, if you would.

Not aimed at OP in particular, just my 2c.

Everyone is just jumping all over OP for no reason because his word choice wasn't the best. Seriously. Look at his stats. Look at what he wants to do. This is not some conceited MD>DO argument...He wants to do academic med and had a research background. DO is just not the path of someone with those aspirations.

@Gandy741 I dont think what he meant was offensive, I think he was just responding to a harsh comment from someone else. I think he more means that in his case (academic med and research) DO isnt the same as MD. Obviously an education from Stanford is far superior to one from any DO school if you want to go into Academic medicine

One could similarly say OP should not apply to primary care focused MD schools, because it is not in line with his aspirations

Everyone is just jumping all over OP for no reason because his word choice wasn't the best. Seriously. Look at his stats. Look at what he wants to do. This is not some conceited MD>DO argument...He wants to do academic med and had a research background. DO is just not the path of someone with those aspirations.

@Gandy741 I dont think what he meant was offensive, I think he was just responding to a harsh comment from someone else. I think he more means that in his case (academic med and research) DO isnt the same as MD. Obviously an education from Stanford is far superior to one from any DO school if you want to go into Academic medicine

"Everything wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD and want to be a physician and so you begin to tell yourself that the two yield the same results and same paths."

This statement though^. Obviously no one is going to equate a Stanford education to DO schools , but a Stanford Education is going to be better than most MD schools as well. People forget that the lowest tier MD schools are actually worse than the most established DO regardless of Residency PD biases.

My point is lots of people apply MD and DO in the same application cycle. I'm doing it right now and so are you and a ton of other people on these forums. Its not "wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD" because at the end of the day I'd rather be a physician than be a 40 year old male with a bachelor's still trying to get into a MD school. People fixated on the letters after their name arent exactly who we should be following.

Last edited:

Are you just submitting for this cycle, or is this for next cycle (2017)?

"Everything wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD and want to be a physician and so you begin to tell yourself that the two yield the same results and same paths."

This statement though^. Obviously no one is going to equate a Stanford education to DO schools , but a Stanford Education is going to be better than most MD schools as well. People forget that the lowest tier MD schools are actually worse than the most established DO regardless of Residency PD biases.

Uhhhhh, I'm not sure where you're getting that from...

My point is lots of people apply MD and DO in the same application cycle. I'm doing it right now and so are you and a ton of other people on these forums. Its not "wrong in DO if you're doing it just because you didn't get into MD" because at the end of the day I'd rather be a physician than be a 40 year old male with a bachelor's still trying to get into a MD school. People fixated on the letters after their name arent exactly who we should be following.

Yes, OP did not articulate as well as they could have. It's not worth jumping down their throats for it. As I said before, there are many valid reasons for not wanting to go DO. It's pointless to make statements about someone's character or whatever just because they want to go MD and not DO, especially if there's no reason for them to need to consider DO in the first place.

There are better ways to spend your time than engaging in a pissing match with someone because they don't want to and don't need to apply DO.

Also for the record, had I been applying, and had I been the one being advised here, and someone for whatever reason recommended that I apply DO, I would also have said that I didn't want to go DO because they didn't fit with my career aspirations. If you're going to hate me for that, so be it. Nothing wrong with DO, it just wouldn't have been a fit for me, and for many other people, I'm sure it's the same. If you want to talk to me more about why, I'm happy to oblige.

Uhhhhh, I'm not sure where you're getting that from...

Yes, OP did not articulate as well as they could have. It's not worth jumping down their throats for it. As I said before, there are many valid reasons for not wanting to go DO. It's pointless to make statements about someone's character or whatever just because they want to go MD and not DO, especially if there's no reason for them to need to consider DO in the first place.

There are better ways to spend your time than engaging in a pissing match with someone because they don't want to and don't need to apply DO.

Also for the record, had I been applying, and had I been the one being advised here, and someone for whatever reason recommended that I apply DO, I would also have said that I didn't want to go DO because they didn't fit with my career aspirations. If you're going to hate me for that, so be it. Nothing wrong with DO, it just wouldn't have been a fit for me, and for many other people, I'm sure it's the same. If you want to talk to me more about why, I'm happy to oblige.

Thats not why people were "jumping down OP's throat".

Its as you say. OP did not articulate as well as he or she could have so it made it sound like he or she was saying something else entirely.

Most people are not going to apply DO with a 36 and a 3.9, and it totally makes sense. No one is actually bashing OP for not applying DO with those stats.

Last edited:
Thats not why people were "jumping down OP's throat".

Its as you say. OP did not articulate as well as he or she could have so it made it sound like he or she was saying something else entirely.

No one is going to apply DO with a 36 and a 3.9, and it totally makes sense. No one is actually bashing OP for not applying DO with those stats.

I would still just ask yourself "is this really worth my time?"

If so then fine, but I personally don't think it is.