Chance me and school list help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rongeurino

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just graduated from a Big 10 school with a 3.6 gpa (3.5 science)(3.4 freshman year to 3.9 sr year) and I took my DAT yesterday. I have 60 hours of shadowing a general dentist, 10 hours endodontist, and about 50 hours shadowing/volunteering at a dental free clinic. I have around 2,000 hours of research over the past 3.5 years in radiation oncology including a mid author publication as well as presenting an abstract at a national annual conference in Chicago. 100 hours of volunteering tutoring in a program designed to help underprivileged kids in the city and also 2 semesters of being a undergraduate TA for biochemistry.

DAT (6/18/2019): AA:22 TS:22 BIO: 21 GC:22 OC:25 RC:22 QR:21 PAT: 23

Current school list:

University of Maryland (instate, number 1 choice)
Columbia
Penn
VCU
Tufts
Boston U
U Michigan
University of the Pacific (the 3 year school)
UCLA (probably a waste of money)
Howard

would really love to hear any thoughts on what schools I should take off or add and what my chances are towards being competitive for my state school. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
Just graduated from a Big 10 school with a 3.6 gpa (3.5 science)(3.4 freshman year to 3.9 sr year) and I took my DAT yesterday. I have 60 hours of shadowing a general dentist, 10 hours endodontist, and about 50 hours shadowing/volunteering at a dental free clinic. I have around 2,000 hours of research over the past 3.5 years in radiation oncology including a mid author publication as well as presenting an abstract at a national annual conference in Chicago. 100 hours of volunteering tutoring in a program designed to help underprivileged kids in the city and also 2 semesters of being a undergraduate TA for biochemistry.

DAT (6/18/2019): AA:22 TS:22 BIO: 21 GC:22 OC:25 RC:22 QR:21 PAT: 23

Current school list:

University of Maryland (instate, number 1 choice)
Columbia
Penn
VCU
Tufts
Boston U
U Michigan
University of the Pacific (the 3 year school)
UCLA (probably a waste of money)
Howard

would really love to hear any thoughts on what schools I should take off or add and what my chances are towards being competitive for my state school. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
are you URM?

You are a very competitive applicant. Not sure why you are applying to UCLA. If they accept you, you will undoubtedly get acceptances to some of those East Coast schools (Maryland, VCU, Penn, or even Michigan). Doubt you would choose UCLA over those due to $ and proximity. And Howard, seems like you are only applying there maybe for proximity? Reach for like UNC instead. Or add Marquette or Case...

Members don't see this ad :)
no, I am middle eastern (Persian) (White)
any thoughts on my chances?
you are competitive at your state school, which is all you can ask for
as long as the rest of your app is up to par, you may get more than a few interviews
some might say you school list is a little top heavy and expensive private school heavy

you are competitive at your state school, which is all you can ask for
as long as the rest of your app is up to par, you may get more than a few interviews
some might say you school list is a little top heavy and expensive private school heavy
your research experience should help at the top schools though

Appreciate your insight, any schools off the top of your head you think I should add to my list? Marquette and Case western have been suggested, I did my undergrad at wisconsin and would prefer to do dental school on either the east or west coast (Preferably East).
i'm leaving it up to you to do your own research