MD Chance me at the following schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcmiddle1394

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.82
sGPA 3.79
MCAT: 33

I have a really high upward trend; I finished freshman year with a 3.4 and got straight A's ever since. The only concern about my grades I have is that my freshman year I got a B in statistics and a C in calculus. Those are my only math credits thus far but I plan on taking a few more senior year. But these will be the only ones when I apply this summer.

Involvement: Director in premed AMSA for two years, Orientation Team Leader for one year, peer adviser in my college for three years, Relay for Life exec for one year, Pride Coalition director for one year

Work: Student Union on campus for a year and a half; advanced to a supervisor after 10 months.

Volunteer: All of my volunteer work has come from my involvement which I am scared will hurt me, thoughts?

Shadowing: 50 hours, with more to come in the spring so probably around 100

Hobbies: I write in my free time. Will medical schools ask to see writing samples? I have a few prepared.

Schools:
Safety:
PSU
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson

Ideal:
Boston University
Tufts
U Wisconsin

Reach:
UPenn
Brown
Colombia

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to get some patient contact experience right away or you WILL get rejected! You need to show us that you want to be around sick and injured people for the next 40 years and you know what you're getting into. I think your non-clinical ECs have been too college centric. You need to display your humanism and altrusim more. School list is good, but the pwoerhouses might like to see some research expereince too.

They will not care about your writing hobby, but may ask about it in interview.

sGPA 3.79

I have a really high upward trend; I finished freshman year with a 3.4 and got straight A's ever since. The only concern about my grades I have is that my freshman year I got a B in statistics and a C in calculus. Those are my only math credits thus far but I plan on taking a few more senior year. But these will be the only ones when I apply this summer.

Involvement: Director in premed AMSA for two years, Orientation Team Leader for one year, peer adviser in my college for three years, Relay for Life exec for one year, Pride Coalition director for one year

Work: Student Union on campus for a year and a half; advanced to a supervisor after 10 months.

Volunteer: All of my volunteer work has come from my involvement which I am scared will hurt me, thoughts?

Hobbies: I write in my free time. Will medical schools ask to see writing samples? I have a few prepared.

Schools:
Safety:
PSU
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson

Ideal:
Boston University
Tufts
U Wisconsin

Reach:
UPenn
Brown
Colombia

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: 1 user
sGPA 3.79

Schools:
Safety:
PSU
Temple
Drexel
Jefferson

Ideal:
Boston University
Tufts
U Wisconsin

Reach:
UPenn
Brown
Colombia

Thank you for your help!
You have lots of good leadership there. You didn't include your volunteer activities, so I can't comment, but hopefully it includes some nonmedical community service that helps those in need. Having 50 hours of shadowing is about the average; hopefully it includes observation of somone in primary care.

As Goro points out, a Research activity would be important to many med schools and you don't mention any. Also, active clinical experience where you interact with sick folks, not just passively observe their physician visit, is an essential of a good application. This could be obtained through the workplace, via volunteerism, or during involvement with clinical research.

Your numbers look good. Since your GPAs are so high, I don't think a few lower grades in math will hurt you.

If you have some e-published work, you might include a link to it on your application for those adcomms who have an interest in seeing it. I doubt that a physical writing sample would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats seem solid, but you def want to get more clinical experience as others have said. I am only speaking from my experience with uwsmph, but there are a decent number of applicants who had great stats but lacked clinical exposure and ended up WL/ultimately rejected there. I can't see your state of residency from my phone, but they also interview very few OOSers (if you are) so you will want something that sets you apart from the other folks who have similar stats. :D

Gl!

Thank you everyone. I forgot to post my research experience. I am writing a thesis based off of anthropological and epidemiological research. Again no lab experience which is hurting me. I will be doing 8 weeks in a lab this summer.

I have been trying to get clinical exposure but unfortunately it's very competitive and I've had very little luck. I also don't have a car to get there so I'm at a disadvantage either way. Do admissions take that into consideration?

I have been trying to get clinical exposure but unfortunately it's very competitive and I've had very little luck. I also don't have a car to get there so I'm at a disadvantage either way. Do admissions take that into consideration?
No.

Don't just look at hospitals, where everyone else is waiting in line for a position. On campus: Check your student health center, with school team physicians, campus volunteer EMTs, or for postings by physically-challenged students who might need an aide. Off campus: Look into nearby skilled-level nursing homes, rehab center, hospice, and private or public (VA, low-income, family-planning) clinics to see if you can help out there.

Multiple summers/school breaks of volunteering can make up for having none during the academic term.

As you have a leadership position in AMSA, maybe start an initiative that arranges transportation to clinical sites for others in the same position you are in.

Reactions: 1 user