MD Chance me? below average gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior double majoring in Biology and Psychology at a small private school...gpa at the end of the year would be 3.5 (BCMP 3.3 - low i know). MCAT is 30 right now but aiming for 33+

EC @ end of the semester
Shadowing = 100 hours
Lacrosse Club = 3 years
Psych Research = 2 semesters
Hospice Volunteer = 1 semester

Would I have a chance of being accepted if I do get a 33 MCAT for MD schools? any other ways I can make my app strong in particular my EC's? There's not really a trend in my gpa except I have a 4.0 semester (2nd semester soph. year). It's hard to change my gpa that much do to the fact I double majored and took summer courses every year. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like you're really lacking in clinical experience. 1 semester of hospice really is not a lot....

I feel like you're really lacking in clinical experience. 1 semester of hospice really is not a lot....

100 hours of shadowing doesn't count as any clinical experience? I learned more in those 100 hours about being a doctor than I would if I volunteered at a hospice

You are so fortunate to have multiple good state schools whose median accepted scores are in the very low 30's. Central and Western are admitting their first classes so we don't yet know their scores, but historically, new schools are lower than the other state medians. If you already have a balanced 30, I would only recommend a re-take if you are scoring at least 4 points higher on your practice tests. So many applicants waste time and score the same and worse on re-takes.

Reactions: 1 user
You are so fortunate to have multiple good state schools whose median accepted scores are in the very low 30's. Central and Western are admitting their first classes so we don't yet know their scores, but historically, new schools are lower than the other state medians. If you already have a balanced 30, I would only recommend a re-take if you are scoring at least 4 points higher on your practice tests. So many applicants waste time and score the same and worse on re-takes.

when's the latest I could take the MCAT? is it safe to attend a newly established medical school? how can I make my application stronger (is my clinical exp. good?)? thanks!

100 hours of shadowing doesn't count as any clinical experience? I learned more in those 100 hours about being a doctor than I would if I volunteered at a hospice

I mean experiences actually interacting with patients (not just introducing yourself while shadowing). Most successful applicants have shadowing AND clinical volunteer experience. Also, volunteering experience in general (clinical and non-clinical) is looked upon favorably by adcoms.

when's the latest I could take the MCAT? is it safe to attend a newly established medical school? how can I make my application stronger (is my clinical exp. good?)? thanks!
It is perfectly safe to go to a new LCME school! Your MCAT is good. Your clinical experience is modest (shadowing is a separate activity). Your non-medical volunteer experience is ?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is perfectly safe to go to a new LCME school! Your MCAT is good. Your clinical experience is modest. Your non-medical volunteer experience is ?
well, I volunteer with my church randomly back when I use to be home with my family more often (freshmen & soph year) but I don't think I'm going to include that since I don't want to put religion in my application and it wasn't a constant thing. is a 3.3 science gpa worrisome even with a good mcat?

also i meant to say..when's the latest i can take the mcat and still sumbit? i would want all the time to study for to get the highest score possible.

well, I volunteer with my church randomly back when I use to be home with my family more often (freshmen & soph year) but I don't think I'm going to include that since I don't want to put religion in my application and it wasn't a constant thing. is a 3.3 science gpa worrisome even with a good mcat?
also i meant to say..when's the latest i can take the mcat and still sumbit? i would want all the time to study for to get the highest score possible.[/quote]

Yes, but the 10th% for M State is 3.24, Oakland: 3.39, W St.:3.44. You have 3.5. That is acceptable (in MI). If your MCAT is available by June to July you can still have an early, strategic application, as long as it is much better that 30. Getting another 30 is worse than just applying with your current score.

also i meant to say..when's the latest i can take the mcat and still sumbit? i would want all the time to study for to get the highest score possible.

Yes, but the 10th% for M State is 3.24, Oakland: 3.39, W St.:3.44. You have 3.5. That is acceptable (in MI). If your MCAT is available by June to July you can still have an early, strategic application, as long as it is much better that 30. Getting another 30 is worse than just applying with your current score.[/quote]
oh okay I see. thanks for all your help gyngyn...and I misspoke regarding my MCAT..I took two practice tests and got 30's on both of them without studying. Im going to study now and hopefully increase that to 33 on the real thing. thanks again.

Yes, but the 10th% for M State is 3.24, Oakland: 3.39, W St.:3.44. You have 3.5. That is acceptable (in MI). If your MCAT is available by June to July you can still have an early, strategic application, as long as it is much better that 30. Getting another 30 is worse than just applying with your current score.
oh okay I see. thanks for all your help gyngyn...and I misspoke regarding my MCAT..I took two practice tests and got 30's on both of them without studying. Im going to study now and hopefully increase that to 33 on the real thing. thanks again.[/quote]
You scammed me! It's ok.