Chance me for flexmed. Honest critiques would be very appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hunterhawk

HMK
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow future physicians. I am currently a rising sophomore at CUNY who's highly interested in applying Flexmed for this upcoming cycle.
I have a rough family/financial situation that really made things harder for me ever since I came to the U.S. and wanted to make sure I can fuse the hardship into my application. Despite these adversities, I had amazing leadership roles in a really competitive public school in NYC. But on the other hand, I know my numbers are not very significantly high among my ethnic/race group and really not sure if it's worth applying for this upcoming cycle. Honest advice would be very appreciated.

*Self-identification:
-Mixed Asian/Pacific Islander: Filippino Korean male
-Immigrated from Phillippines to Korea and now living in the U.S. for 7 years

HS/College Statistics
-HS GPA: 97.00/100 (94th out of 1100 students from my year)
-Highest SAT: 1420 (640RW 780Math)
-APs: Chem (5) Physics 1 (5) Calc AB (5) WH (4) USH (3)
-ECs:
--JROTC: participated in Junior ROTC program consistently for four years, became a commander in charge of 150 students, a competing member of JROTC's academic team, hosted several fundraising/service-learning project for an entire unit to send care packages to soldiers deployed in Iraq.
--Church Pianist: (still doing) have been playing for 10 years so more than 1000+ hrs
--Volunteered at local domestic violence advocates during the first two years of HS.

Awards:
numerous JROTC related awards
Presidential Volunteer Service Award-Gold
Presidential Academic Excellence Award
NYC Council Merit Scholarship
Korean Poetry Contest Award
National Honor Society
AP Scholar

College GPA: so this is where it gets complicated. I have taken English 1/2 courses at my HS taught by a community college professor and I got B- and C. However, I never expected those grades to be transferred to my overall AMCAS GPA. Although the current college transcript does NOT factor those two, I wonder if the flexmed will adjust the overall GPA in their own way making a huge drop in GPA.
-Without HS college credit courses (as shown from my current college's transcript): 3.71
-With those classes: 3.51
-Biochem Major, minor in music

ECs I have done so far after college:
-A passionate Student Ambassador of MAPS and AMSA member
-Shadowed a family physician for 80 hours during the summer
-Summer internship at a university hospital in Brooklyn, learning so much about the health disparity issues in minorities through lectures, shadowed different physicians every week, hosted model public health conference in front of faculties
-Have been volunteering at VA hospital for ER for last 6 months accumulating 100+ hrs by the end of this summer.
-Member of Astrophotography Club

Flex factor:
-Being accepted to Flexmed will provide an ultimate opportunity for me to delve into piano through music minor. Playing piano has always relieved the stresses and helped me to go through whenever I felt like I wanted to give everything up since I was young. I sometimes play piano at the hospital and people always love it.

Possible LOR providers (Idk how many LORs does flexmed will require, so I will wrtie whoever is in my mind.)
-My college's pre-health advisor: she wrote me a LOR for the summer internship and I got in.
-The chief nurse of the ER: knows me very well and said she's willing to write a LOR.
-My church's pastor: I have been an accompanist since the middle school
-My statistic professor: Always had been at an office hr. Got an A+
-From H.S., I can ask the senior army instructor who was willing to write a LOR for military academy. I couldn't since I was not a citizen at that time.
-My H.S. Ap chemistry and/or Korean teacher

Personal stories:
I was born as a half-Filippino and half-Korean in Phillippines. Ever since I moved from Phillippines to Korea at a very young age, I had constantly faced racial discrimination (heard many racist words you can name of) literally from everyone since my skin was not pale as my peers and my face does not look like a full Korean, making me wonder if it's still worth to live in Korea. Learning that in the United States is a country where people from different backgrounds can achieve their dreams through hardworking (sorta cheesy American-dream story tho), I have begged my parent to move to the United States although I have never learned English in my country.

A few weeks after my family moved here, my parent got into a traffic accident and he almost became paralyzed as he got an injury on his lumbar. Since I was the only one in my family speaking English (only very basic level), I had to take care of all of the insurance, lawsuit issues, and house chores with my younger brother Speaking only very limited level of English, I have got into so many situations where people would not listen to me at all and stare at me as if I was crazy. Despite these constant adversities and dreadful situation, I managed to get my parent to receive appropriate care from a doctor who came from a similar background, motivating me to dream about becoming a doctor. My parent still has a mobility issue and several lawsuits about this traffic accident that prevents him from working, so my uncle has always supported us since then.

So my ultimate question is, do you all think that my personal experiences/advertiser that I believe is very unique is still worth to share on Flexmed application? I understand that my numbers and ECs are not as significant as other flexmed applicants I saw in previous year's thread, making me feel discouraged to give a try. I can also mention tons of things I had gone through in H.S. and an internship I had this summer addressing the racial discrimination and healthcare disparities especially among the immigrant community in general. On the other hand, my school as a partnership with the University of Rochester Medical Center similar to the flexmed, but the application will begin next summer so it will give me a chance to strengthen my ECs and college GPA that I screwed up in the senior year of my H.S..

Thanks for reading my long writings. Thanks for your anticipated help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi fellow future physicians. I am currently a rising sophomore at CUNY who's highly interested in applying Flexmed for this upcoming cycle.
I have a rough family/financial situation that really made things harder for me ever since I came to the U.S. and wanted to make sure I can fuse the hardship into my application. Despite these adversities, I had amazing leadership roles in a really competitive public school in NYC. But on the other hand, I know my numbers are not very significantly high among my ethnic/race group and really not sure if it's worth applying for this upcoming cycle. Honest advice would be very appreciated.

*Self-identification:

HS/College Statistics
-ECs:
--JROTC: participated in Junior ROTC program consistently for four years, became a commander in charge of 150 students, a competing member of JROTC's academic team, hosted several fundraising/service-learning project for an entire unit to send care packages to soldiers deployed in Iraq.
--Church Pianist: (still doing) have been playing for 10 years so more than 1000+ hrs
--Volunteered at local domestic violence advocates during the first two years of HS.

Awards:
National Honor Society
AP Scholar

College GPA: so this is where it gets complicated. I have taken English 1/2 courses at my HS taught by a community college professor and I got B- and C. However, I never expected those grades to be transferred to my overall AMCAS GPA. Although the current college transcript does NOT factor those two, I wonder if the flexmed will adjust the overall GPA in their own way making a huge drop in GPA.
-Without HS college credit courses (as shown from my current college's transcript): 3.71

-Summer internship at a university hospital in Brooklyn, learning so much about the health disparity issues in minorities through lectures, shadowed different physicians every week, hosted model public health conference in front of faculties
-Have been volunteering at VA hospital for ER for last 6 months accumulating 100+ hrs by the end of this summer.

Flex factor:
-Being accepted to Flexmed will provide an ultimate opportunity for me to delve into piano through music minor. Playing piano has always relieved the stresses and helped me to go through whenever I felt like I wanted to give everything up since I was young. I sometimes play piano at the hospital and people always love it.

Possible LOR providers (Idk how many LORs does flexmed will require, so I will wrtie whoever is in my mind.)
-My college's pre-health advisor: she wrote me a LOR for the summer internship and I got in.
-The chief nurse of the ER: knows me very well and said she's willing to write a LOR.
-From H.S., I can ask the senior army instructor who was willing to write a LOR for military academy. I couldn't since I was not a citizen at that time.

Personal stories:
I was born as a half-Filippino and half-Korean in Phillippines. Ever since I moved from Phillippines to Korea at a very young age, I had constantly faced racial discrimination (heard many racist words you can name of) literally from everyone since my skin was not pale as my peers and my face does not look like a full Korean, making me wonder if it's still worth to live in Korea. Learning that in the United States is a country where people from different backgrounds can achieve their dreams through hardworking (sorta cheesy American-dream story tho), I have begged my parent to move to the United States although I have never learned English in my country.

A few weeks after my family moved here, my parent got into a traffic accident and he almost became paralyzed as he got an injury on his lumbar. Since I was the only one in my family speaking English (only very basic level), I had to take care of all of the insurance, lawsuit issues, and house chores with my younger brother Speaking only very limited level of English, I have got into so many situations where people would not listen to me at all and stare at me as if I was crazy. Despite these constant adversities and dreadful situation, I managed to get my parent to receive appropriate care from a doctor who came from a similar background, motivating me to dream about becoming a doctor. My parent still has a mobility issue and several lawsuits about this traffic accident that prevents him from working, so my uncle has always supported us since then.

So my ultimate question is, do you all think that my personal experiences/advertiser that I believe is very unique is still worth to share on Flexmed application? I understand that my numbers and ECs are not as significant as other flexmed applicants I saw in previous year's thread, making me feel discouraged to give a try. I can also mention tons of things I had gone through in H.S. and an internship I had this summer addressing the racial discrimination and healthcare disparities especially among the immigrant community in general. On the other hand, my school as a partnership with the University of Rochester Medical Center similar to the flexmed, but the application will begin next summer so it will give me a chance to strengthen my ECs and college GPA that I screwed up in the senior year of my H.S..

I believe you will be competitive for this program and you seem to be able to sell yourself well. Carry this enthusiasm forward and you will go far. Do not worry about those two CC grades as they appear to reflect a level you perform above now.

I don’t know anything about flexmed so I won’t comment on chances specifically but how on earth does a 97 gpa only warrant a rank of 94/1100. Have American high schools become so afraid to hurt people’s feelings that they just give everybody As? Unless it’s a weighted gpa of course but still.

I don’t know anything about flexmed so I won’t comment on chances specifically but how on earth does a 97 gpa only warrant a rank of 94/1100. Have American high schools become so afraid to hurt people’s feelings that they just give everybody As? Unless it’s a weighted gpa of course but still.

NYC magnet high schools like Stuyvesant and Bronx science are really competitive and require an entrance exam to get in. So you see how that would put OP's rank at 94 despite performing well.

I applied to Flexmed about 2 years ago. You should definitely apply- I think they would be really drawn to certain elements of your story/flex factor. Your GPA may be a problem, but you won’t know until you try

Reactions: 1 user

*Self-identification:

HS/College Statistics
-ECs:

Awards:
National Honor Society
AP Scholar

Flex factor:

Personal stories:

Have you discussed this with the premed advisors at your school? Were they helpful and what did they advise?