Chance me (For the Following schools)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bionicjawboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know there are a lot of these threads but I just started to study for my DAT and am very nervous as I am pushing to apply around July.
cGPA: 3.70 Sgpa: 3.60
I made some mistakes very early on which is why my stats are quite low.
-D in a bio course freshman year (Retook sophomore year and got a B)
-Withdrawal in Chm Course fall semester Sophomore Year.
-C in a senior level bio course this year.

After that D freshman year I decided what I wanted to do and got an A in literally every course I took which raised my sGPA from a 1.0 to a 3.6. Still salty because wtihout that D on my transcript My SGPA should be a 3.8.

How can I explain this to dental schools? I was not the student I was freshman year and I 4.0d a lot of semesters of purely bio/and sGPA to raise my GPA but it weighs me down. Then I just recently got a C in a bio course because I had to take time to take care of my parents (mom had surgery, dad had a lawnmower accident), but I still managed to have a 3.60 SGPA.

My Top Schools are (In order)
Umich
Colombia
Upenn
U. Maryland

Among other things I've devoted my time to volunteering in Dental clinics in underserved areas (Detroit), and have 1st authorship of a primary research article in a neurobio journal.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No one can tell you anything without a DAT.

Reactions: 7 users
I know there are a lot of these threads but I just started to study for my DAT and am very nervous as I am pushing to apply around July.
Don't be nervous. I studied for about two weeks and did quite well on the DAT. (I was very stupid for doing that though...but you get the point.) If you've taken intro biology and chem twice, then studying this stuff should be second nature to you by now.

How can I explain this to dental schools? I was not the student I was freshman year and I 4.0d a lot of semesters of purely bio/and sGPA to raise my GPA but it weighs me down. Then I just recently got a C in a bio course because I had to take time to take care of my parents (mom had surgery, dad had a lawnmower accident), but I still managed to have a 3.60 SGPA.
That's exactly how you explain it. Don't worry...one C and a B replacing a D doesn't disqualify you. As a matter of fact, demonstrating personal growth could actually be seen as a strength over someone with consistent good grades w/o hardship, depending on how well you frame it to the admissions committees. But a 3.6 sGPA is pretty good anyway.

Interested in research, I presume?

Michigan, Columbia, and Penn are likely to be particularly attracted to your research background, and it sounds like you can build a personal narrative about serving needy populations. You should keep that up.

I don't know much about UMD, but I've heard that their admissions is more stats-based than others. (Don't take my word for it though.)

Btw, it's ColUmbia.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got 2 C's (orgo 1/2), a D (calc 2 - retook and got an A), and had one W (writing seminar). I, like you, decided to kick butt my last 2 1/2 years in college and basically got all A's. I finished with a 3.66 sGPA and a 3.76 oGPA. At my Rutgers interview, the interviewer seemed more surprised than concerned about my low grades. When I tried to explain how sophomore year was rough for me, he told me to calm down because it literally didn't matter, since the rest of my grades were great. Kill the DAT (I had a 24 AA), good LOR's and you'll be in great shape.

Just took and scored:
Pat: 16
QR: 22
RC: 22
Bio: 24
GC: 23
OC: 22
TS: 23
AA: 23

EEK! 16 PAT, but I think you'll be able to get away with it.... Maybe. I would rule out a retake, but I would wait to hear from other SDNrs to see what they say.

UMich, Columbia, Penn... 3 of the most competitive and programs in the US... minus Harvard UCSF and UCLA (and others). You are a competitive applicant, but to be honest, I believe.you can get an interview at all of your top choices. (As long as there is no DAT requirement score - I would recommend you research that. Penn doesn't have any)

As long as you can kill the interview, I think your chances aren't bad and you should be generally okay.

Good luck!

-Fyz

I think the biggest hurdle is going to be the lateness of your application, not the 16 PAT