MD Chance me for university of michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yemu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA 3.9, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 34
US News ranked top 20 university
Volunteer: 2oo hours in hospital and Senior care center
Community volunteer: 150 hours tutoring kids, fundraising, teach kids play piano, and other misc.
Shadowing: 60 hours
Major: engineering
Research: 3 plus years medical related research
Publication: one (not first author)
MI resident

Also if possible please suggest a list of schools.
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also, that is one of the most half assed profiles I've ever seen.

"Volunteer: 200 hours"

No one will be able to chance you when you give us info like that

Don't be lazy. Write more. If you're worried about anonymity – lmao. No one actually cares to identify you

Members don't see this ad :)
1. Don't become set on any one particular school. The chances that an applicant is successful at any one school is WAY too hard to determine...even for the most qualified candidates.

2. Get the MSAR, and come up with your own list. Start with the MI schools (of which, there are 6), and start adding other schools that have stats close to yours. Once you have a list, the AdComs (and students) on this site can help you out.

3. Here's some University of Michigan info from the most recent MSAR:

Median sGPA/cGPA: 3.84
Median MCAT: 36 (10th percentile: 32)
# IS applicants: ~1,200
# IS interviewees: ~180
# IS matriculants: ~80

***Although this is a public school, the AdCom gives an exceptional amount of consideration to OOS applicants. Your IS residency won't help you too much here.

Like I said--hard to say what your specific chances are, but I'd say you should absolutely apply!

Reactions: 1 users
1. Don't become set on any one particular school. The chances that an applicant is successful at any one school is WAY too hard to determine...even for the most qualified candidates.

2. Get the MSAR, and come up with your own list. Start with the MI schools (of which, there are 6), and start adding other schools that have stats close to yours. Once you have a list, the AdComs (and students) on this site can help you out.

3. Here's some University of Michigan info from the most recent MSAR:

Median sGPA/cGPA: 3.84
Median MCAT: 36 (10th percentile: 32)
# IS applicants: ~1,200
# IS interviewees: ~180
# IS matriculants: ~80

***Although this is a public school, the AdCom gives an exceptional amount of consideration to OOS applicants. Your IS residency won't help you too much here.

Like I said--hard to say what your specific chances are, but I'd say you should absolutely apply!

Thank you very much.

GPA 3.9, sGPA 3.85, MCAT 34
US News ranked top 20 university
Volunteer: 2oo hours in hospital and Senior care center
Community volunteer: 150 hours tutoring kids, fundraising, teach kids play piano, and other misc.
Shadowing: 60 hours
Major: engineering
Research: 3 plus years medical related research
Publication: one (not first author)
MI resident

Also if possible please suggest a list of schools.
Thank you.
Check out the University of Michigan Tracker on their Admissions website, about 50% IS and 50% OOS. U of M takes about 1/2 of the instate folks from their own Undergrads, so that leaves about 40-45 spots for other instate universities. The MCAT average is about 34.5 for IS, 36 for OOS. See their class profiles for the past few years. You have a good chance for an interview, but this one can't be the only iron in the fire. You and I have almost identical stats, so it really comes down to the ECs, research. Hopefully we'll both get interviews this next year. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
So moop finally got himself banned, eh?

OP, If you're MI resident, you're chances are pretty good, at least better than an OOSer for getting an II. Bone up on the ECs though.

Also, that is one of the most half assed profiles I've ever seen.

"Volunteer: 200 hours"

No one will be able to chance you when you give us info like that

Don't be lazy. Write more. If you're worried about anonymity – lmao. No one actually cares to identify you

It will help you- look at the U-M class profile- roughly a 50/50 split for IS/OOS. You're already small-pooled. Accepted IS students also have an average MCAT ~2 points lower than their OOS counterparts. Still, Komorebi2 is right that while your numbers align, you shouldn't get too attached to any school at this point.

Last edited:
Check out the University of Michigan Tracker on their Admissions website, about 50% IS and 50% OOS. U of M takes about 1/2 of the instate folks from their own Undergrads, so that leaves about 40-45 spots for other instate universities. The MCAT average is about 34.5 for IS, 36 for OOS. See their class profiles for the past few years. You have a good chance for an interview, but this one can't be the only iron in the fire. You and I have almost identical stats, so it really comes down to the ECs, research. Hopefully we'll both get interviews this next year. Good luck to you.
Thank you very much for the information, I hope we will get accepted not just interviews.

Thank you very much for the information, I hope we will get accepted not just interviews.
The good news is that they interview about 575, and give out 350 or so acceptances. Pretty good odds with an interview. Best wishes to you.

The good news is that they interview about 575, and give out 350 or so acceptances. Pretty good odds with an interview. Best wishes to you.
I am from Michigan, but I do not go to college in Michigan, do I count as OOS or IS?

I am from Michigan, but I do not go to college in Michigan, do I count as OOS or IS?
You count as IS, but not from U of M, MSU, etc. Best wishes for great success.