Chance Me/Help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent955

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd cut the list down to about 10-12 schools because your stats are solid, as great DAT makes up for slightly low GPA, especially after showing the strong upward trend.

Also, your list is really private school heavy. I'd seriously consider the estimated cost of attendance since SDN is blowing up with threads on this right now (NYU, Tufts, USC, and Columbia come to mind as more expensive programs people have commented on), so I would look into public school programs that let you claim residency after the first year. Not sure of which ones those are, but it's definitely something to research. Personally, I would take Roseman off your list, as there has been a lot of drama (for lack of a better word) on their thread.

In the end, these are just my own thoughts, and you are the one who has to be comfortable with your list and where you want to live for four years. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
If it were me, I'd cut the list down to about 10-12 schools because your stats are solid, as great DAT makes up for slightly low GPA, especially after showing the strong upward trend.

Also, your list is really private school heavy. I'd seriously consider the estimated cost of attendance since SDN is blowing up with threads on this right now (NYU, Tufts, USC, and Columbia come to mind as more expensive programs people have commented on), so I would look into public school programs that let you claim residency after the first year. Not sure of which ones those are, but it's definitely something to research. Personally, I would take Roseman off your list, as there has been a lot of drama (for lack of a better word) on their thread.

In the end, these are just my own thoughts, and you are the one who has to be comfortable with your list and where you want to live for four years. Good luck!

What sort of drama with Roseman? I haven't heard anything and I browse SDN pretty obsessively lol

Members don't see this ad :)
What sort of drama with Roseman? I haven't heard anything and I browse SDN pretty obsessively lol
If you go to the Roseman thread under 'School Specific Discussions' you'll get a better idea, I suppose. What I gather is that the school itself doesn't have the best reputation, but the comments there might not bother you. It just made me personally uneasy about the school in general.

I’d have to agree with what has been said already. I would consider removing the more expensive schools you have on your list such as NYU, Tufts, Columbia, Roseman, USC. Maybe do some research on schools like Ohio State, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, UCSF, ect. You have good stats, so as long as there are no red flags or holes in your application you could apply to roughly 10 schools that you feel like will work for you.

I’d have to agree with what has been said already. I would consider removing the more expensive schools you have on your list such as NYU, Tufts, Columbia, Roseman, USC. Maybe do some research on schools like Ohio State, Marquette, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, UCSF, ect. You have good stats, so as long as there are no red flags or holes in your application you could apply to roughly 10 schools that you feel like will work for you.

I feel like despite my upward trend, my oGPA/sGPA/BCP are all quite low compared to a lot of those schools like Pitt/UCSF and other public schools. I'm frankly concerned with getting into any school, let alone a relatively cheap OOS school. How worth it is it to apply to schools where im >0.15GPA below their medians?

I feel like despite my upward trend, my oGPA/sGPA/BCP are all quite low compared to a lot of those schools like Pitt/UCSF and other public schools. I'm frankly concerned with getting into any school, let alone a relatively cheap OOS school. How worth it is it to apply to schools where im >0.15GPA below their medians?
It’s okay to be worried, but take your shot. I have a 3.18 oGPA and was able to get into 4 schools (3 public, 1 private). You definitely can do it, and your GPA is not even that low. Schools LOVE upward trends.

I totally understand your worry. Ultimately you need to decide what is best for you. If you choose not to apply to those schools maybe later you’d look back and realize you should have applied to some “reach” schools. Remember those average GPAs are just that, averages. Maybe next year those schools will have lower/higher stats, you never know. If I were you, with your stats and achievements, applying to those schools is a risk I’d be willing to take. I applied to a good mix of private and state schools and was surprised by the results.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user