Chance Me- IM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

envisible

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really not sure where I'm going to end up since my app is pretty unbalanced:
Top 40 med school, current M4, app submitted with all LORs
step 1 ~240, no step 2 CK or CS yet,
4th quartile (fell into at the end), HP in IM, Honor in AI (M4), one other honor, one clinical performance honor but didn't hit shelf score(pass), pass everything else (shelf screwed me over)
MSPE comments are all positive, LOR are probably strong
Heavy research background without Ph.D.- just did research on the side through undergrad+med school with no research yr (6 peer-reviewed pubs, 1 first author with impact factor of ~10, another 2nd author with IF of ~5, 1 co-author pub with IF of 40+ (nth author though) that was submitted and hopefully/likely to be accepted soon)
clear long term dedication to IM and an IM subspecialty
connected to west coast and midwest

Aiming for top 25 IM (UCLA, Emory, Uchicago, Stanford, etc) and/or decent PSTP programs (combined IM residency and fellowship- UCSD, OSU, Baylor)
Some chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm just an M4 as well but honestly, top 25 is pretty hard for those of us who aren't AOA/ 260 Step 1/2 / from top 10 med school/ leadership superstars
Would definitely throw an app in to those places but apply to more mid-tiers as well!

Reactions: 1 users
There is a whole thread dedicated to these questions in IM where many folks are going through or have gone through the application process and want to be helpful.

Ask in here and what do most of these kids know? Serious question.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
incoming - "you are fine, stop worrying" comment with zero substance.

Reactions: 1 user
Well the biggest question is how is the IM program at your school ranked? Since there’s people with step scores in the 210-220s at those programs since they went there for medical school.

Will probably be at target for good mid-tiers. Research background might take you to reaches although grades will pull you back.

I'm just an M4 as well but honestly, top 25 is pretty hard for those of us who aren't AOA/ 260 Step 1/2 / from top 10 med school/ leadership superstars
Would definitely throw an app in to those places but apply to more mid-tiers as well!

I feel that the AOA and Honors are the critical factors here. Not sure how an HP in IM would look since i read in IM forums that that could raise concerns for the top programs

There are approximately ~900 applicants in the pool every year with a step 1 of 250+. The question then becomes do these applicants pool into top 25 programs. If you look at programs even with unattractive locales like mayo their step 1 average according to frieda is 245+. So the question then becomes is do you have a 240? or a 237 , because there are odds you may be screened at top tier programs.

There are approximately ~900 applicants in the pool every year with a step 1 of 250+. The question then becomes do these applicants pool into top 25 programs. If you look at programs even with unattractive locales like mayo their step 1 average according to frieda is 245+. So the question then becomes is do you have a 240? or a 237 , because there are odds you may be screened at top tier programs.
Are there 500 IMGs with 250+s applying to IM? Interesting. There are only around 400 US seniors with 250+ step 1 applying to IM.
But I agree that it will be tough for the OP to match into reaches because of 250+ step 1 scorers (around 400) as well as AOA (around 500 US seniors)
Research will help you though OP if you are from a top school. A stellar Step 2 (260 or above will make your app even stronger).

Are there 500 IMGs with 250+s applying to IM? Interesting. There are only around 400 US seniors with 250+ step 1 applying to IM.
But I agree that it will be tough for the OP to match into reaches because of 250+ step 1 scorers (around 400) as well as AOA (around 500 US seniors)
Research will help you though OP if you are from a top school. A stellar Step 2 (260 or above will make your app even stronger).
There are only ~500 US MDs applying. I agree though, mid tiers are prime territory for OP. Maybe his/her research might pull them ahead, but realisticly If OPs home program is strong and has some big names they might be able to get a foot in the door with some letters.
1568763422955.png

Yep, we finally got the comment. only took 12 comments.
I mean what else are people supposed to say? They are fine and don't really have a reason to worry based on the data I've seen. ITs not like anyone on here is gonna have the magical yes or no answer. What great addition does pointing this out serve for you?

I mean what else are people supposed to say? They are fine and don't really have a reason to worry based on the data I've seen. ITs not like anyone on here is gonna have the magical yes or no answer. What great addition does pointing this out serve for you?

The same great addition the previous poster stated.

Matching IM is based on your expectations. Its not helpful to walk into every single IM thread and say they are fine, because we are all aware that every single applicant in the country could match IM if they wanted.

OP *specifically stated* that they were "Aiming for top 25 IM ". So perhaps offer a comment about matching in the top 25 instead of dismissing people for coming to this website for its singular purpose.

Really not sure where I'm going to end up since my app is pretty unbalanced:
Top 40 med school, current M4, app submitted with all LORs
step 1 ~240, no step 2 CK or CS yet,
4th quartile (fell into at the end), HP in IM, Honor in AI (M4), one other honor, one clinical performance honor but didn't hit shelf score(pass), pass everything else (shelf screwed me over)
MSPE comments are all positive, LOR are probably strong
Heavy research background without Ph.D.- just did research on the side through undergrad+med school with no research yr (6 peer-reviewed pubs, 1 first author with impact factor of ~10, another 2nd author with IF of ~5, 1 co-author pub with IF of 40+ (nth author though) that was submitted and hopefully/likely to be accepted soon)
clear long term dedication to IM and an IM subspecialty
connected to west coast and midwest

Aiming for top 25 IM (UCLA, Emory, Uchicago, Stanford, etc) and/or decent PSTP programs (combined IM residency and fellowship- UCSD, OSU, Baylor)
Some chance?

Looks like a solid app so far. How are you getting research on the side? I'm struggling to get started, and I have no idea what kinds of studies would be manageable as a med student.

Looks like a solid app so far. How are you getting research on the side? I'm struggling to get started, and I have no idea what kinds of studies would be manageable as a med student.

case reports, garbage retrospective studies, PDs can't read but they can count

The same great addition the previous poster stated.

Matching IM is based on your expectations. Its not helpful to walk into every single IM thread and say they are fine, because we are all aware that every single applicant in the country could match IM if they wanted.

OP *specifically stated* that they were "Aiming for top 25 IM ". So perhaps offer a comment about matching in the top 25 instead of dismissing people for coming to this website for its singular purpose.
To be fair WAMC is not the singular purpose of this website.