Chance me on early decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sworzeh

Crazy Rabbit Lady
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, SDN says to never to EDP, but I'm pretty sold on my state school (it would be my top choice if I did regular decision too) and I think my stats are pretty solid (34/4.0) compared to their averages (30/3.75). If you feel like reading a detailed report of my ECs, you can click my mdapps, otherwise I'm an art major with ~1000 hours as a scribe, 200 clinical volunteering, 250 nonclinical volunteering, random art things, but no research.

The only thing I'm worried about is that 5 people applied ED last year and only 2 got in, which I was told was based off their interviews.

Any opinions? I know I'd be at a significant disadvantage if I didn't get in, so I'd probably wait and apply next year.

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't do it. ED is really for people with special circumstances, not people who really want to get in.

Just don't do it. ED is really for people with special circumstances, not people who really want to get in.

So I wouldn't have higher chances even with showing my devotion to the school, so to speak, through ED? Does anyone have proof of this?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I wouldn't have higher chances even with showing my devotion to the school, so to speak, through ED? Does anyone have proof of this?

I think you pretty much proved it with the 2/5 success rate of previous years. Why risk becoming a re-applicant for even a slight marginal increase in "chance."

I think you pretty much proved it with the 2/5 success rate of previous years. Why risk becoming a re-applicant for even a slight marginal increase in "chance."

Because other schools' tuition is ~50k/year and this school is half that. I think saving 100k would be worth it to take a gap year, if it comes down to that.

Plus, 40% is a much better chance than the usual 6% (though there are more variables in that 6%).

Gap year saves $100K in tuition. One year of a physician salary lost = $150-500K. Other schools do offer financial aid and scholarships.

Gap year saves $100K in tuition. One year of a physician salary lost = $150-500K. Other schools do offer financial aid and scholarships.
That's true I guess, but would I even be elligible for merit-based financial aid? I figured that was reserved for cooler people than me.

Last edited:
That's true I guess, but would I even be elligible for merit-based financial aid? I figured that was reserved for cooler people than me.

You have a awesome GPA and very good MCAT. While it might not get you a merit scholarship from WashU or UChicago, I wouldn't be surprised if you did from a less selective school especially if you get multiple acceptances, something you can't pull by just applying to one school.