Chance me please (High DAT, Low GPA, great EC's)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Brush My Teeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want a real shot next cycle, dont say big if on all As, work your ass off and do it! Your DAT is good, proves you can do well on a test. However at the end of the day there are plenty of kids who have just of rigorous course loads at just of good schools that you're competing with. Dig deep and put the work in now so you dont have to spend a year doing masters since honestly your gpa looks like its gonna hold you back and if theres no upward trend happening thats no bueno.

Your GPA will raise flags with your DAT scores. There are plenty of applicants that have taken hard classes/majors that do quite well and that is who you will be going up against when you apply. I agree with DATtestTho, there is no "try to get A's", you have to get A's to show you can handle the coursework in Dental school. Your EC's are ok, but they are all dental focused. Not that having some dental focused EC's are bad, but they do want more well rounded candidates at most dental schools, but it is what it is now. What you need to figure out is why you have such a low GPA and fix that.

Members don't see this ad :)
the 3 clubs i am president of are completely NOT dental associated.. one is religious, the other is a dance club, the other is a fraternity

Your DAT is good...but it's not good enough to make up for a 2.75 science GPA. You need to do some major damage control there, an SMP would be a good idea.

the 3 clubs i am president of are completely NOT dental associated.. one is religious, the other is a dance club, the other is a fraternity

ECs don't matter as nearly as much as academics. Quitting them so you can devote more time in your classes would be a good idea.

Reactions: 1 user
ECs don't matter as nearly as much as academics. Quitting them so you can devote more time in your classes would be a good idea.
Agreed. A good GPA and DAT is the base of the cake. ECs are frosting and decorations. You can't put on frosting and decorations if you don't have much of a cake base to begin with. On the contrary, a solid base of a cake void of frosting and decorations won't catch anyone's attention.

Last edited:
I don't like giving people bad news but having under 3.0 GPA will make it very difficult to be considered as a qualified applicant. Therefore, they might not even look at to your ECs and reject you on the spot. Unless you are applying to schools that prefer in-state applicants, or have a committee letter from the school you are applying to, the chances are very low. If you can, do ANYTHING to raise your GPA, especially science. GL