Chance me please :) Strange situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cron7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a texas resident applying to all the texas schools. I submitted my application early July.

My DAT is: 24 AA/22 TS/22 PAT

BUT my gpa is 3.3 overall and 3.0 science. This is mostly due to taking a bunch of engineering classes (I switched halfway through my junior year). In my pre-reqs, I'm averaging about a 3.4-3.5. I've also got a slight upward trend going on.

I've done research, had two internships, got about 75 hours shadowing and 100 hours of volunteering. I've got some leadership positions also. Recs should be good to great.

Is there anything else I can do at this point to help myself out? Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm a texas resident applying to all the texas schools. I submitted my application early July.

My DAT is: 24 AA/22 TS/22 PAT

BUT my gpa is 3.3 overall and 3.0 science. This is mostly due to taking a bunch of engineering classes (I switched halfway through my junior year). In my pre-reqs, I'm averaging about a 3.4-3.5. I've also got a slight upward trend going on.

I've done research, had two internships, got about 75 hours shadowing and 100 hours of volunteering. I've got some leadership positions also. Recs should be good to great.

Is there anything else I can do at this point to help myself out? Thanks for all your help!

How is this a strange situation? It is actually quite common to have a low gpa and a high DAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is this a strange situation? It is actually quite common to have a low gpa and a high DAT score.

It's low because of my engineering gpa, not my pre-reqs. Will that hurt me? And do you think I have a decent shot?

It's low because of my engineering gpa, not my pre-reqs. Will that hurt me? And do you think I have a decent shot?

I think your fine. Your dat is great, and your GPA, in general, won't hold you back. With that said, no one ever knows for sure.

I see that the composite score is just a sum of the DAT + PAT + both the GPAs. Is this a standard formula? The one I've usually seen is the UTSA (DAT/30)*4*Science + Overall.

The composite score is an arbitrarily made up formula. There is absolutely no validity to it. The UTSA formula is real, but in this case, you will notice that the DAT score is basically worthless.
science GPA x DAT-A Score/30 x 4 + Overall GPA] x 50 = Overall Score

The composite score is an arbitrarily made up formula. There is absolutely no validity to it. The UTSA formula is real, but in this case, you will notice that the DAT score is basically worthless.
science GPA x DAT-A Score/30 x 4 + Overall GPA] x 50 = Overall Score

Doc, do you have the latest UTSA formula values compiled anywhere? I have come across the ones from 2008

Last edited: