Chance Me Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHope2Be

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been lurking these forums for a while and just recently created an account because it's almost my turn to apply (this coming June)!
Stats:
  • 3.93 oGPA/sGPA.
  • 517 MCAT, relatively even spread (wrote it beginning of summer/end of sophomore year).
  • I attend a major University in the USA on scholarship (I am Canadian).
EC
  • Research at my school's medical school, started my sophomore year and put in about 10-15 hrs/week.
  • Executive position for a very large organization (the organization is recognized worldwide), lots of responsibility and very fulfilling, not your typical "pre-med club".
  • 100+ hours of hospital volunteering- dialysis/cataract surgery/charting/admitting patients/wheeling them out. Feel like I learned a lot from this, and the hospital I volunteer at allows me to be very involved with the patients!
  • 100+ hours of non-clinical volunteering- blood drives/charity events/community outreach etc.
  • 100+ hours of shadowing across various specialties (also got to observe many major surgeries).
  • Intramural sport (organized through my school), played this sport my entire life and competed in various province-wide tournaments throughout high school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello guys, I have been lurking these forums for a while and just recently created an account because it's almost my turn to apply (this coming June)!
Stats:
  • 3.93 oGPA/sGPA.
  • 517 MCAT, relatively even spread (wrote it beginning of summer/end of sophomore year).
  • I attend a major University in the USA on scholarship (I am Canadian).
EC
  • Research at my school's medical school, started my sophomore year and put in about 10-15 hrs/week.
  • Executive position for a very large organization (the organization is recognized worldwide), lots of responsibility and very fulfilling, not your typical "pre-med club".
  • 100+ hours of hospital volunteering- dialysis/cataract surgery/charting/admitting patients/wheeling them out. Feel like I learned a lot from this, and the hospital I volunteer at allows me to be very involved with the patients!
  • 100+ hours of non-clinical volunteering- blood drives/charity events/community outreach etc.
  • 100+ hours of shadowing across various specialties (also got to observe many major surgeries).
  • Intramural sport (organized through my school), played this sport my entire life and competed in various province-wide tournaments throughout high school.

You're a strong applicant, if I were you I would definitely apply to a few top 20s, but also spread out some mid tier private MDs since you're canadian just to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
You're a strong applicant, if I were you I would definitely apply to a few top 20s, but also spread out some mid tier private MDs since you're canadian just to be safe.
Thank you for the reply! Yea, that is what I was thinking. I am going to order the MSAR and that should also give me a better idea of what schools to apply to. My main hurdle is being a Canadian I guess!

Members don't see this ad :)
You do have a shot at any private school in the US so choose those that are in a geographic area that you like and that have a mission or teaching method that resonates with you. The public schools will be a tougher nut to crack so do check to see which are friendly to International students. A well targeted 15-20 schools should be what it takes. Don't wear yourself out with too many applications and a shotgun approach.

Being in a US undergrad institution is a huge plus. US LORs tend to be more generous with accolades than letters from Canadian faculty and the students in Canada have great difficulty finding shadowing opportunities. You are fortunate in both regards.

Reactions: 1 user
You do have a shot at any private school in the US so choose those that are in a geographic area that you like and that have a mission or teaching method that resonates with you. The public schools will be a tougher nut to crack so do check to see which are friendly to International students. A well targeted 15-20 schools should be what it takes. Don't wear yourself out with too many applications and a shotgun approach.

Being in a US undergrad institution is a huge plus. US LORs tend to be more generous with accolades than letters from Canadian faculty and the students in Canada have great difficulty finding shadowing opportunities. You are fortunate in both regards.
Thanks for the advice! I did not plan on applying to more than 15 schools, and instead will apply strategically to maximize my chances. I will be ordering the MSAR shortly.

@Goro @gyngyn any additional input/specific schools or things I should know before applying?

Once again, thanks everyone!