Chance me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SN2reaction

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA resident, go to UCSD
5th year, finished my bs in bio, working on my ba in econ

3.74 gpa, 3.75 science gpa
32 mcat, 11ps 10vr 11bs (im thinking about taking it again)
-worked 2 years as a resident advisor on campus
-worked in research lab for ~2 years, no publications as of yet, but possibly one this year
-did some community service for a week in india and a week in honduras through the global brigades
-volunteered for ~50 hrs at a hospital, also shadowed a doctor for a week and was able to go on rounds with med students
-involved in student council for 2 years

I think I have pretty good letters of rec's.

I really want to stay in state, with my dream school being UCSF
applying to:

All UC's
usc
Tufts
Northwestern
columbia
nymc
nyu
drexel
virginia commonwealth
oregan hsu
psu

My main concerns are my mcat score and the fact that im applying rather late (i submitted my primaries aug 11th). I'm really considering taking another year to improve my app by getting more volunteering experience and improving my mcat score.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to get in this cycle, you will need to add some more match and safety schools. The majority of the schools you have listed are reach schools for you. You have a solid shot at staying in-state but, as you know, CA schools are quite competitive. If you were to apply to only your current list, which includes only two safeties, you may very well not find an acceptance this year. IMO you would be best served expanding your list, whether it be this year or next. Good luck!

thanks for the input, i am applying to more safety schools, i didnt mention them because i was more interested about my chances to these schools

how much do you think my mcat score will affect me for the california schools?

thanks for the input, i am applying to more safety schools, i didnt mention them because i was more interested about my chances to these schools

how much do you think my mcat score will affect me for the california schools?

You are probably squarely on the bubble. I'd say you have an excellent shot at getting an interview somewhere in-state. You will just need to impress when that time comes.