Chance me/where should I apply thread 2017: tyjacobs and feralis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
oh i see. i thought you were iowa resident.
go for UIC bro! that's a good school even though the price has been going up cause of illinois financial struggles

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
age: 30 (obviously, I'm non-traditional but I've been back in school the past two years and taken all pre-reqs and finishing my bachelor's)
overall gpa- 3.5 (current coursework is a 3.9)
science gpa- 3.6 total (currently I've had all As and 1 B in my pre-reqs)
undergrad attended- Augusta University (Bachelor of science in dental hygiene)
DAT score (include AA and all sections)- AA-21 PAT-18, QR-17, RC-25, Bio-18, Gen Chem-23, Ochem-22
extracurriculars- leader of a mother's support group, special needs cheerleading coach, study group leader for organic chemistry, volunteer at local elementary school, head start program volunteer oral health educator
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)- I have been a dental hygienist since June 2008. I have worked for general dentists and shadowed 5,000+ hours watching the dentist but 15,000 if all of my time working was included.
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- 2 from science professors, 2 from dentists (I applied last cycle and was told they were very strong by a school's admission office)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application- July 12th (I was waiting on my new DAT scores taken today)
professional goals- General Dentistry, but I'm open to specializing.
state of residence- GA
misc info you think is important: I've taken pre-requisites at a community college because I needed some night classes to be able to work to help support my family. I work for a Dentist that serves low-income families. This is my passion!

This thread is awesome! Thanks in advance for your help.

overall gpa: 3.6
science gpa: 3.6
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.5
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT-24, QR-23, RC-27, BIO-22, GC-26, OC-22, TS-23, AA-24 (taken today, 7/10/17)
extracurriculars- ~500 hours volunteering (tutoring, volunteer (tutoring; hospital; volunteer abroad; total ~600 hours), Shadowing (90 hours), research this summer (possible publication)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 100 total, 3 general dentists
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): committee letter (includes 5 letters, 2 science, 1 nonscience, 1 volunteer advisor, 1 shadowed dentist); very solid, one of my professors showed me his and it was well written
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: submitted June 21, planning on adding more schools
professional goals: General dentistry
Planning on adding: Columbia, Penn, Pittsburg, Maryland, and Buffalo. Any suggestions on which ones I should apply to?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
overall gpa: 3.71
science gpa: 3.61
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.68
undergrad attended: CC (did gen chem, got associate of science here), large public university in VA
DAT score: 21 AA, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 20 OC, 19 TS, 18 PAT, 20 QR, 24 RC
extracurriculars: member of pre-dental society, did 1 Impressions Day, did 2 community dental outreach events (such as MOM), dental radiation safety certified, volunteer weekly as a dental assistant at a free dental clinic (150+ hours)
shadowing hours: 150 hours from general dentist
letters of rec: All strong (4): 1 pediatric dentist I work for, 1 anatomy professor, 1 micro/biochem professor, 1 from free dental clinic
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: 6/25/17
professional goals: General Dentistry
state of residence: VA
misc info you think is important: worked at a credit union during first 2 years of school as a teller, did a summer fellowship at NIH in infectious disease research for 4 months over the summer (possible publication), working as a pediatric dental assistant for 1+ years
Schools applied to: VCU, UMD, Howard, Penn, Pitt, NYU, Case, NOVA, Lecom, Midwestern-IL

age: 30 (obviously, I'm non-traditional but I've been back in school the past two years and taken all pre-reqs and finishing my bachelor's)
overall gpa- 3.5 (current coursework is a 3.9)
science gpa- 3.6 total (currently I've had all As and 1 B in my pre-reqs)
undergrad attended- Augusta University (Bachelor of science in dental hygiene)
DAT score (include AA and all sections)- AA-21 PAT-18, QR-17, RC-25, Bio-18, Gen Chem-23, Ochem-22
extracurriculars- leader of a mother's support group, special needs cheerleading coach, study group leader for organic chemistry, volunteer at local elementary school, head start program volunteer oral health educator
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)- I have been a dental hygienist since June 2008. I have worked for general dentists and shadowed 5,000+ hours watching the dentist but 15,000 if all of my time working was included.
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)- 2 from science professors, 2 from dentists (I applied last cycle and was told they were very strong by a school's admission office)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application- July 12th (I was waiting on my new DAT scores taken today)
professional goals- General Dentistry, but I'm open to specializing.
state of residence- GA
misc info you think is important: I've taken pre-requisites at a community college because I needed some night classes to be able to work to help support my family. I work for a Dentist that serves low-income families. This is my passion!

be careful, some schools are wary of applicants that are very old. But I think with you, you have a good application. Just apply broadly to like 14ish schools (lots of private schools + your in state school) and I think you should get some interviews.

This thread is awesome! Thanks in advance for your help.

overall gpa: 3.60
science gpa: 3.57
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.51
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Small Liberal arts
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT-24, QR-23, RC-27, BIO-22, GC-26, OC-22, TS-23, AA-24 (taken today, 7/10/17)
extracurriculars- ~500 hours volunteering (tutoring, volunteer (tutoring; hospital; volunteer abroad; total ~600 hours), Shadowing (90 hours), research this summer (possible publication)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 100 total, 3 general dentists
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): committee letter (includes 5 letters, 2 science, 1 nonscience, 1 volunteer advisor, 1 shadowed dentist); very solid, one of my professors showed me his and it was well written
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: submitted June 21, planning on adding more schools
professional goals: General dentistry
state of residence: NJ
Applied to: Rutgers, ATSU, LECOM, U MICH, MWU, Stony Brook, Touro, Temple, Tufts, New England, Western, BU, Case Western, LLU. Perhaps I should have waited until AFTER taking my DAT to narrow down my list...didn't know I would get these scores.
Planning on adding: Columbia, Penn, Pittsburg, Maryland, and Buffalo. Any suggestions on which ones I should apply to?

drop buffalo and apply to those 4 schools that you plan on adding. don't add any more schools

you'll get a lot of interviews. good GPA+DAT combo

overall gpa: 3.71
science gpa: 3.61
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.68
undergrad attended: CC (did gen chem, got associate of science here), large public university in VA
DAT score: 21 AA, 19 BIO, 20 GC, 20 OC, 19 TS, 18 PAT, 20 QR, 24 RC
extracurriculars: member of pre-dental society, did 1 Impressions Day, did 2 community dental outreach events (such as MOM), dental radiation safety certified, volunteer weekly as a dental assistant at a free dental clinic (150+ hours)
shadowing hours: 150 hours from general dentist
letters of rec: All strong (4): 1 pediatric dentist I work for, 1 anatomy professor, 1 micro/biochem professor, 1 from free dental clinic
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: 6/25/17
professional goals: General Dentistry
state of residence: VA
misc info you think is important: worked at a credit union during first 2 years of school as a teller, did a summer fellowship at NIH in infectious disease research for 4 months over the summer (possible publication), working as a pediatric dental assistant for 1+ years
Schools applied to: VCU, UMD, Howard, Penn, Pitt, NYU, Case, NOVA, Lecom, Midwestern-IL

Add 2 more schools: BU and Tufts to be safe.

Stats look very good though you should get a good amount of interviews.

New DAT, please take another look for me. Thank you!

Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.7
BCP GPA: 3.6
Undergrad: U Iowa
DAT: AUG 2016: 19 AA, 19 TS, 18 PA, 19 QR, 22 RC, 18 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC
JUL 2017: 20AA, 20 TS, 22PA, 16 QR, 21 RC, 22 BIO, 19 GC, 20 OC
Extracuriculars: About 150 service hours (non-dental). Worked at the Dental School as a sterilization tech, other random jobs. Philanthropy Chair at campus service fraternity.
Shadowing hours: 75 at multiple general dentists, one orthodontist
Letters of Rec: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 Spanish professor. Put in the time to get to know them so I hope they are strong.
Submited AADSAS: ~Jun 20
Professional Goals: general dentist
State of Residence: Illinois
Misc Info: My retake is a bit better overall, and a lot better in PA, BIO and OC. So I am quite excited to add a few schools to my list. I don't want to live anywhere in the West.
Applied to SIU, UIC, Marquette, Creighton, Case Western, Pitt, BU, Tufts, New England. Any suggestions? I don't know if I have a chance at Ohio, UConn or UNC.

Apply to NYU, Temple as well. Stats look good, I think your list is pretty good. Apply just to Ohio. I don't think you are competitive enough for Uconn or UNC. You should definitely get some interviews

overall gpa: 3.85
science gpa: 3.84
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.86
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA 20, PAT 22, BIO 19, GC 21, OC 21, QR 18, RC 20, TS 20
extracurricular: Intern at General Dentist Office, Volunteer Chemistry tutor for 7 semesters through Uni's Tutoring Center, Volunteer at free dental clinics providing free dental care to underserved populations, volunteer at local soup kitchen/ homeless shelter
shadowing hours: 200 + hours general dentist, 14 hours pediatric dentist
letters of rec: Committee Letter (I assume strong), Two from upper level Biology courses, One from Computer Science professor, One strong from General Dentist practicing in my state
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted 6/18/2017
professional goals: Potentially HPSP
state of residence: NC

Very good GPA+Dat. should definitely get a good amount of interviews. Where are you applying to? just curious

Add 2 more schools: BU and Tufts to be safe.

Stats look very good though you should get a good amount of interviews.

Those were on my list but they both do not accept prereq credits from a community college :(

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools): 21
overall gpa: 3.97
science gpa: 3.96
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.96
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): Big Ten School
DAT score (include AA and all sections) 22AA/24TS 23-OC 25-BIO 22-GC 21-READ 19-PAT 21-QR
extracirriculars:
- Metabolism/Diabetes Research 1.5 years
- SMDEP (SHPEP) at Columbia University School of Dental Medicine
- University of Minnesota Scrubs, Gloves, & Microscopes Dental Course
- University of Minnesota Dental School Preparation Course
- Pre-Dental Society
- Head 3rd-5th grade after-school science club teacher at unprivileged school
- State Pre-College Enrichment Program (SPREP) (Mentor/Tutor)
- Volunteer at Columbia-Harlem Homeless Medical Partnership

shadowing hours (who did you shadow): ~300 hours
- Orthodontist x1 (120 hours)
- General Dentist x5 (180 hours)

letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who)
- 5 letters of recommendation: GC Professor, OC Professor, Research Professor, Orthodontist, 1 from Columbia-SMDEP
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: submitted 7/1; verified 7/10
professional goals: OMFS
state of residence: MN
misc info you think is important: African-American Male
schools: Columbia, UMN, Harvard, Iowa, UCSF, UCLA, Marquette, Creighton, UPenn, UConn, Oregon, Michigan

DAT score (include AA and all sections) 22AA/24TS 23-OC 25-BIO 22-GC 21-READ 19-PAT 21-QR
extracirriculars:
- Pre-Dental Society

- 5 letters of recommendation: GC Professor, OC Professor, Research Professor, Orthodontist, 1 from Columbia-SMDEP
schools: Columbia, UMN, Harvard, Iowa, UCSF, UCLA, Marquette, Creighton, UPenn, UConn, Oregon, Michigan

apply to stonybrook if you want to do OMFS because its upper strong for that

overall super top application, will have no problem getting interviews from your top schools

extracirriculars:
- Pre-Dental Society

Just wondering...how can you have 5 LORs when there is only room for 4 on AADSAS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Overall GPA:3.52
Science GPA: 3.52
BCP GPA: 3.67
DAT Scores: 18 PAT, 18 RC, 19 Bio, 22 GC, 20 TS, 20 AA (Canadian DAT)
Extracurriculars:
  • Worked at paediatric dental clinic = 768 Hours
  • Soccer (many leagues throughout the years)
  • Camp councillor = 240 Hours
  • Artist - I have my own online art platform where I sell prints, paintings, drawings etc
Shadowing Hours:
  • Over 300 dental shadowing hours (2 paediatric dentists, 2 orthodontic dentist, 1 endodontist)
  • President of Because I am a Girl Club at University
  • Exec of African Healthcare club at University
Letters of Rec:
  • 1 letter from neuro anatomy/med school prof (strong)
  • 1 letter from physics professor (medium - strong)
  • 1 letter from paediatric dentist (strong)
  • 1 letter from orthodontic dentist (strong)
When I plan to submit: Submitted
Professional Goals: Specialization
State of Residence: Ontario, Canada
Other Important Info:
  • Upward trend in grades
  • Slightly confused as to the AADSAS grade calculated for me - my Canadian GPA is much higher than what they calculated (I emailed them)

Last edited:
extracirriculars:
- Pre-Dental Society

You must have worked super hard to pull off that GPA while still doing all of those amazing extracurriculars. Congratulations on your achievement!

Reactions: 1 users
Overall GPA:3.52
Science GPA: 3.52
BCP GPA: 3.67
DAT Scores: 18 PAT, 18 RC, 19 Bio, 22 GC, 20 TS, 20 AA (Canadian DAT)
Extracurriculars:
  • Worked at paediatric dental clinic = 768 Hours
  • Soccer (many leagues throughout the years)
  • Camp councillor = 240 Hours
  • Artist - I have my own online art platform where I sell prints, paintings, drawings etc
Shadowing Hours: 164 total hours
  • 87 hours with general dentist (office 1)
  • 64 hours with three general dentists (office 2)
  • 7 hours with oral surgeon
  • 6 hours with orthodontist
  • Over 300 dental shadowing hours
  • President of Because I am a Girl Club at University
  • Exec of African Healthcare club at University
Letters of Rec:
  • 1 letter from neuro anatomy/med school prof (strong)
  • 1 letter from physics professor (medium - strong)
  • 1 letter from paediatric dentist (strong)
  • 1 letter from orthodontic dentist (strong)
When I plan to submit: Submitted
Professional Goals: Specialization
State of Residence: Ontario, Canada
Other Important Info:
  • Upward trend in grades
  • Slightly confused as to the AADSAS grade calculated for me - my Canadian GPA is much higher than what they calculated (I emailed them)

The way AADSAS calculates GPA is probably different from how the canadian GPA is calculated. Are the GPAs you posted the AADSAS GPAs?

overall gpa: 3.65
science gpa: 3.69

undergrad attended : University of Massachusetts Amherst
DAT score: 22 AA, 20 TS, 19 PA, 23QR, 23RC
extracurriculars: pre-dental -club, biochem club, oil painting
shadowing hours: 750 hours in 2 dental offices
letters of rec: 1 dentist (fairly strong), 2 biochem professor, 1 employer
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: 6/15 done
state of residence: MA
misc info you think is important: I withdrew from school during the junior year for a semester, therefore I have 8 "W" on my transcript, I went back to school the following semester and was able to graduate on time. However I did poorly on my grade during my last year. My GPA dropped so bad since I got a couple B. After I graduated, I worked in China as an AP biology teacher for a year. Right now I work as a full time dental assistant.( worked as a medical scribe over summer during my junior year, physical therapy assistant for 2 years in school, )
Schools applied to: UCLA, Columbia, Tufts, Lowa,BU, maryland, Nebraska, Uconn, NYU, BUFFLO, Upenn, temple, tuoro, SAN

Hey yall just wanted to get an idea of what schools I should add to my list. I have 8 so far and want about 12.

DAT: AA 22 TS 23 PAT 19
GPA: 4.0
NC resident

Schools: UNC, ECU, Kentucky, Augusta, Columbia, VCU, MUSC, UPENN.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

science gpa: 3.69

undergrad attended : University of Massachusetts Amherst
DAT score
: 22 AA, 20 TS, 19 PA, 23QR, 23RC
extracurriculars: pre-dental -club, biochem club, oil painting
shadowing hours: 750 hours in 2 dental offices
letters of rec: 1 dentist (fairly strong), 2 biochem professor, 1 employer
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: 6/15 done
state of residence:
MA
misc info you think is important: I withdrew from school during the junior year for a semester, therefore I have 8 "W" on my transcript, I went back to school the following semester and was able to graduate on time. However I did poorly on my grade during my last year. My GPA dropped so bad since I got a couple B. After I graduated, I worked in China as an AP biology teacher for a year. Right now I work as a full time dental assistant.( worked as a medical scribe over summer during my junior year, physical therapy assistant for 2 years in school, )
Schools applied to: UCLA, Columbia, Tufts, Lowa,BU, maryland, Nebraska, Uconn, NYU, BUFFLO, Upenn, temple, tuoro, SAN

list looks good. GPAs and DAT look good. I think you should get interviews despite your misc info

The way AADSAS calculates GPA is probably different from how the canadian GPA is calculated. Are the GPAs you posted the AADSAS GPAs?

Thanks for your reply!! I had to put in my grades as percentages, and they have converted it to letter grades based on the way my university converts them. However, the results they have gotten when doing GPA conversions don't match my calculated values. Based on my grades it also doesn't make sense my non science GPA would be lower than bio/physics/chem.

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools): 25
overall gpa: 3.16
science gpa: 3.09
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.12
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): UC Irvine
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 20AA 21TS 21OC 23GC 19Bio 18RC 21QR 26PAT
extracirriculars: more than 5 dental related volunteers and others(tutors, work, animal shelter volunteers, etc)
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): more than 800 hours (>2years at General Dentistry, 4 month in Korea dental)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 4 letters (2 from Biology Professors at Postbac, 1 from Research at Undergrad, 1 from General dentist)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted on June 30th and verified on July 7th.
professional goals: General Dentist
state of residence: California
misc info you think is important:
I am reapplicant and last cycle, I had interviewed at WESTU (pre-Dec) and USC (Post-Dec). Rejected from WESTU and wailited on USC.
I did two quarters of post-bacc (30 units, All A's except 1 B+) and right now taking 16 units of Upper bio and will get All A's (I guess I will end up with 3.8~3.9 GPA, and ends on the end of august).

I lived in Korea until 15years old and moved to U.S. I have a citizenship.
For more specific info: Freshmen year 2.5, Sophomore year 2.7, Junior year 3.2, Senior year 3.5, Post-bacc 3.9.

The Schools I applied for this cycle are BU, CASE, LECOM, LLU, MWU, MWU-IL, NYU, TCDM, TUF, UCLA, UCSF, UNE, UNLV, UOP, USC, VCU, WESTU.

I am also going to retake DAT on Nov again.

I was so depressed after I got all rejection. I hope I have a good chance for this time. Thank you.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmm not sure how many interviews you will get. GPA is low and DAT doesn't adquately compensate for it. If you got like a 23AA+ then I'd say you have a fairly decent shot. Focus on gettin ga good DAT score and see if you can take some more science classes to further boost your GPA

Thanks for your reply!! I had to put in my grades as percentages, and they have converted it to letter grades based on the way my university converts them. However, the results they have gotten when doing GPA conversions don't match my calculated values. Based on my grades it also doesn't make sense my non science GPA would be lower than science.

so going back to your situation: not sure how competitive you are because you are a canadian student and your stats are fairly average TBH

so going back to your situation: not sure how competitive you are because you are a canadian student and your stats are fairly average TBH

Any school recommendations based on this? Also, do you know any info on how/if they look at Canadian students differently?

overall gpa: 3.79
science gpa: 3.81
BCP gpa: 3.75
undergrad attended: Canada
DAT score (include AA and all sections) 21AA/21TS 22-BIO 22-GC 19-READ 19-PAT(Canadian DAT)
Experiences:
- Research - 1 year (125 hours)
- Hospital/Nursing Home Volunteering (~750 hours)
- Shadowed at 2 General Dentist clinics (~400 hours)

- 4 letters of recommendation: 2 Science Profs, Dentist, Volunteer Coordinator
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: submitted 7/7; verified 7/13
Schools: UPenn, Pitt, NYU, UDM, Temple, Case

Should I add a few more schools to my list? If so, which ones?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.56
science gpa: 3.44
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.55
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing): UMD
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23AA 20TS 22OC 24GC 17Bio 27RC 23QR 19PAT
extracirriculars:
60+ hours volunteering
Triage work at dental clinic
OChem lab and lecture TA for past year
TA for honors research program for last two years
Winner of university-wide essay contest
Prize winner at university-sponsored hackathon
club sports + extensive coaching experience
honors program orientation leader for past three years
2 years microbiology research
1 year food safety research with publication
one year of tutoring
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 275+ hours at general dentistry, 20 from oral surgery, 5 from endo, 5 from pediatric.
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 6 letters (1 from TA supervisor (Strong), 1 from Physics prof (strong), 1 from Biology prof (medium-strong), 1 from Undergrad research + TA supervisor (strong), 1 from General dentist (strongest), 1 from English Prof. (strong)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted 7/6/17.
professional goals: General Dentist or Oral Surgery
state of residence: Maryland
Significant upward trend after attaining 2.75 first semester of college.

Applied Schools: Penn, Pitt, Maryland, Harvard, Tufts, NYU, USC, Nova, UNE.

Maryland is my #1 school. I am unsure which of the schools I applied to are "attainable;" should I add another? I have gotten suggestions for Western, Temple, BU,

Last edited:
overall gpa: 3.55
science gpa: 3.42
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.54
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23AA 20TS 22OC 24GC 17Bio 27RC 23QR 19PAT
extracirriculars:
60+ hours volunteering
1 year food safety research, publication under review
one year of tutoring
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 275+ hours at general dentistry, 20 from oral surgery, 5 from endo, 5 from pediatric.
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 6 letters (1 from TA supervisor (Strong), 1 from Physics prof (strong), 1 from Biology prof (medium-strong), 1 from Undergrad research + TA supervisor (strong), 1 from General dentist (strongest), 1 from English Prof. (strong)

Maryland is my #1 school. I am unsure which of the schools I applied to are "attainable;" should I add another? I have gotten suggestions for Western, Temple, BU,

Take off Harvard.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any school recommendations based on this? Also, do you know any info on how/if they look at Canadian students differently?
There are definitely some international friendly schools such as UPenn, BU, NYU, and Detroit Mercy

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools): 22
science gpa: 3.41
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.46
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:22 TS:23 Org:26 Chem:21 Bio:23 Reading:23 QR:19 PAT:20
extracurriculars: 200 hours volunteering, Breast cancer awareness group, cancer research for a semester 28 hours a week.
shadowing hours (who did you shadow): 2 general dentists, 1 orthodontist ~62 hours
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): 3 letters, 1 is very strong. Other 2 are generic
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: soon
state of residence: Ohio

age 21
overall gpa: 3.44
science gpa: 3.40
Note* not sure if it's important but any A+ were counted only as regular As
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.30
undergrad attended: San Jose State University, Biochemistry

DAT scores: AA(22)/TS(21)/OC(23)/GC(23)/BIO(19)/RC(20)/QR(25)/PAT(21)

Extracurriculars: Volunteer in the emergency rooms of Regional Valley Medical Center (~400 hrs). Part of the Dental club (club was really disorganized though so it was a new one each year).
Shadowing: General Dentist (~400 hrs)

Letters of Recommendation: (3) Total
1. Biochemistry Professor. I took three classes together with her all with high grades. Additionally we are very close and I believe it will be strong.
2. Biochemistry Lab Capstone Course Professor. I conducted legitimate research under him and may possibly do volunteer research during my year gap. I believe this will also be strong.
3. General Dentist. (Moderate-Strong)
Note* Just added a bit more info for a better read on where I am at. Thanks!

Submitting AADSAS application: Mid July, roughly around 7/18 or so.

Professional Goals: General Dentist / Open-minded to specializing
State of Residence: California
Additional Info:
Upward trend of GPA
Schools I am applying:
UCSF, LLU, UOP, USC, WESTU, Nova, Lecom, MWU (AZ), Tufts, MYD, UNLV, OHSU, USN (roseman), TCDM (Touro), WASH
Additional Questions:
Any schools I should also add or remove?

science gpa: 3.81
BCP gpa: 3.75
undergrad attended: Canada (Ontario)
DAT score (include AA and all sections) 21AA/21TS 22-BIO 22-GC 19-READ 19-PAT(Canadian DAT)
Experiences:
- Research - 1 year (125 hours)
- Hospital/Nursing Home Volunteering (~750 hours)
- Exec Member for clubs at my University (~200 hours)
- Competitive Sports
- Worked with underprivileged community (~100 hours)
- Have a few employment and other experiences that I didn't list
- Shadowed at 2 General Dentist clinics (~400 hours)

- 4 letters of recommendation: 2 Science Profs, Dentist, Volunteer Coordinator
When you plan on submitting AADSAS application: submitted 7/7; verified 7/13
Schools: UPenn, Pitt, NYU, UDM, Temple, Case

Should I add a few more schools to my list? If so, which ones?
Thank you in advance.

Im not that knowledgeable as to how dental schools canadian applicants. Good gpa + dat though. You might want to apply to some more schools

science gpa: 3.42
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.54
extracirriculars:
60+ hours volunteering
1 year food safety research, publication under review
one year of tutoring

Add those suggestions to be safe. DAT very nice. Gpa pretty decent. Maryland is definitely attainable. Should def get some interviews

age 21
overall gpa: 3.44
science gpa: 3.40
Note* not sure if it's important but any A+ were counted only as regular As
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.30
undergrad attended: San Jose State University, Biochemistry

DAT scores: AA(22)/TS(21)/OC(23)/GC(23)/BIO(19)/RC(20)/QR(25)/PAT(21)

Extracurriculars: Volunteer in the emergency rooms of Regional Valley Medical Center (~400 hrs). Part of the Dental club (club was really disorganized though so it was a new one each year).
Shadowing: General Dentist (~400 hrs)

Letters of Recommendation: (3) Total
1. Biochemistry Professor. I took three classes together with her all with high grades. Additionally we are very close and I believe it will be strong.
2. Biochemistry Lab Capstone Course Professor. I conducted legitimate research under him and may possibly do volunteer research during my year gap. I believe this will also be strong.
3. General Dentist. (Moderate-Strong)
Note* Just added a bit more info for a better read on where I am at. Thanks!

Submitting AADSAS application: Mid July, roughly around 7/18 or so.

Professional Goals: General Dentist / Open-minded to specializing
State of Residence: California
Additional Info:
Upward trend of GPA
Schools I am applying:
UCSF, LLU, UOP, USC, WESTU, Nova, Lecom, MWU (AZ), Tufts, MYD, UNLV, OHSU, USN (roseman), TCDM (Touro), WASH
Additional Questions:
Any schools I should also add or remove?

Keep those schools and add NYU and BU. You definitely want to apply broadly with your stats but i definitely think you will get some interviews

science gpa: 3.82
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.81
undergrad attended: Marquette
DAT score: 24 AA / 23 TS / 20 Bio / 24 GC / 30 OC / 22 RC / 22 QR / 20 PAT
extracirriculars:
  • STAR Leader ~ 20 hours
  • Executive Board Freshman Rep MU Pre-Dental Club ~ 68 hours
  • Biology & Organic Chemistry Tutor ~ 168 hours
  • Intramural Volleyball Champ in 2 divisions ~ 20 hours
shadowing hours (who did you shadow):
  • General Dentist ~ 18 hours
  • Orthodontist ~ 10 hours
  • Volunteer Community Dental Clinic ~ 90 hours (Endo and General Dentist)
  • Intro to Dent undergrad course ~ 22 hours (explored all specialists at MU Dental school)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who):
  • Orthodontist who is Dental school prof
  • Organic Chemistry prof
  • Biology prof
  • Physics prof
  • Theology prof
  • I believe all my undergraduate LOR should be strong, highlighting my qualities as a student
  • My ortho LOR should highlight my constant interest into dental profession
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I submitted everything early and the schools I designated are reviewing my apps already; except for Temple
Under review by:
  1. UIC
  2. SIU
  3. MU
  4. Creighton
  5. Case Western Reserve
  6. Michigan
  7. Iowa
  8. Pitt
  9. Harvard
professional goals: Unsure whether to specialize or not
state of residence: Illinois
  • I would like some input on the schools I designated (any info is appreciated: opportunity to specialize there, the vibe at that school, what kind of lifestyle can you live there, good didactic and clinical curriculum, etc). Also is there any schools that I should add to my list? Any other info you would like to tell me is also appreciated!
  • PM me the details would be awesome!

Hello! application cycle is beginning soon. @FeralisExtremum and I are D1s at columbia college of dental medicine. We are both experts at this stuff because we have collectively answered these questions many times on SDN. If you would like us to chance you/tell you where to apply, we am more than happy to help you! Just fill out the form below and we will give you my advice. We are in finals ssn so it may take some time to respond (we will respond in an adequate amount of time though)

*****READ -- YOU NEED TO HAVE TAKEN DAT OR ELSE WE CANNOT CHANCE YOU*******

to calculate GPA, use this link to tell you what classes fall under what category http://hpplc.indiana.edu/documents/AADSASCourseSubjects2015_071414.pdf

here is how you calculate GPA (download the PDF, its from aadsas):
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwidgLeb9N7TAhUCRCYKHbj4A00QFggiMAA&url=http://www.adea.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=24512&usg=AFQjCNF4aw1Jc4wH76maZCox3XlMyB-lYQ&cad=rja

age (if you are comfortable, yes this matters to some schools)
overall gpa
science gpa
bio-chem-physics gpa
undergrad attended (if you are comfortable sharing)
DAT score (include AA and all sections)
extracirriculars
shadowing hours (who did you shadow)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application
professional goals
state of residence

Age= 24
cGPA= 3.78
sGPA= >3.78 (greater but didn't calculate)
Bio/chem/physics/biochem all 4.0
undergrad: Kinesiology & Health Science
american DAT: 21AA/ 21TS/ 21 Bio/ 21 GC/ 22 OC/ 19 RC/ 24 QR/ 20 PA
EC:
-volunteer work many places 250 hrs+
-shadowing dentist 112hrs
-shadowing physician 60 hrs
-Rep soccer team captain
-manager expereince
-school club treasurer
-online bussiness owner
-other sports participation
LOR: 3 science profs, 1 english prof (will get dentist by mid august) letters are strong
-application submitted but waiting on transcript. should arrive any day and then needs to be verified.
State of residence: CANADA
Applied to: Nova, Midwestern Arizona, Midwestern Illinois, U of michigan, USC, Rutgers, U of Penn, Pittsberg, TEMPLE, case western, NYU, Columbia, Detroit mercy, Minn, Indiana, North Carolina Chapel Hill, Buffalo, maryland, Boston

science gpa: 3.82
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.81
undergrad attended: Marquette
DAT score: 24 AA / 23 TS / 20 Bio / 24 GC / 30 OC / 22 RC / 22 QR / 20 PAT
extracirriculars:
  • STAR Leader ~ 20 hours
  • Executive Board Freshman Rep MU Pre-Dental Club ~ 68 hours
  • Biology & Organic Chemistry Tutor ~ 168 hours
  • Intramural Volleyball Champ in 2 divisions ~ 20 hours
shadowing hours (who did you shadow):
  • General Dentist ~ 18 hours
  • Orthodontist ~ 10 hours
  • Volunteer Community Dental Clinic ~ 90 hours (Endo and General Dentist)
  • Intro to Dent undergrad course ~ 22 hours (explored all specialists at MU Dental school)
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who):
  • Orthodontist who is Dental school prof
  • Organic Chemistry prof
  • Biology prof
  • Physics prof
  • Theology prof
  • I believe all my undergraduate LOR should be strong, highlighting my qualities as a student
  • My ortho LOR should highlight my constant interest into dental profession
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: I submitted everything early and the schools I designated are reviewing my apps already; except for Temple
Under review by:
  1. UIC
  2. SIU
  3. MU
  4. Creighton
  5. Case Western Reserve
  6. Michigan
  7. Iowa
  8. Pitt
  9. Harvard
professional goals: Unsure whether to specialize or not
state of residence: Illinois
  • I would like some input on the schools I designated (any info is appreciated: opportunity to specialize there, the vibe at that school, what kind of lifestyle can you live there, good didactic and clinical curriculum, etc). Also is there any schools that I should add to my list? Any other info you would like to tell me is also appreciated!
  • PM me the details would be awesome!

Great stats. Apply to columbia and penn

Age= 24
cGPA= 3.78
sGPA= >3.78 (greater but didn't calculate)
Bio/chem/physics/biochem all 4.0
undergrad: Kinesiology & Health Science
american DAT: 21AA/ 21TS/ 21 Bio/ 21 GC/ 22 OC/ 19 RC/ 24 QR/ 20 PA
EC:
-volunteer work many places 250 hrs+
-shadowing dentist 112hrs
-shadowing physician 60 hrs
-Rep soccer team captain
-manager expereince
-school club treasurer
-online bussiness owner
-other sports participation
LOR: 3 science profs, 1 english prof (will get dentist by mid august) letters are strong
-application submitted but waiting on transcript. should arrive any day and then needs to be verified.
State of residence: CANADA
Applied to: Nova, Midwestern Arizona, Midwestern Illinois, U of michigan, USC, Rutgers, U of Penn, Pittsberg, TEMPLE, case western, NYU, Columbia, Detroit mercy, Minn, Indiana, North Carolina Chapel Hill, Buffalo, maryland, Boston

Apply to tufts and to touro

Good job applying broadly. Hard to tell with Canadian applicants. I think you'll be good with that gpa and dat

Apply to tufts and to touro

Good job applying broadly. Hard to tell with Canadian applicants. I think you'll be good with that gpa and dat
Thank you! I was under the impression Tufts doesn't accept Canadians anymore and they both didn't take any Canadians last year.

overall gpa: 3.73
science gpa: 3.74
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.72
undergrad attended: CC (did the bio, chem, ochem prereqs here), University of California (took physics, micro, physio, genetics and will take anatomy here)
DAT score: 21 AA, 22 TS, 22 PA, 22QR, 18 RC (a bit low but I think I explained well in the app). Took this before transferring to four-year university.
extracurriculars: Treasurer/IVP of pre-dental society (2 years total after graduation), intramural volleyball/basketball (16+ hours), high school outreach facilitator (21+ hours), gardening (24+ hours), simulation clinical course (1 day), free health clinics (35+ hours); i have others but these are my current ones or ones I'll do throughout the year
shadowing hours: 104+ hours from family dentist, 3 hours from UNLV
letters of rec: 1 dentist (fairly strong), 1 cc ochem professor (decent), 1 uc physio professor (not sure..)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Done
misc info you think is important: Pharmaceutical Sciences major. 3.9 GPA in community college, 3.38 GPA in UC. Other than my first quarter transferring to a four-year university and one academically poor quarter consisting of a C and a W- which I explained in my app due to personal reasons- my grades at UC were all A's and B's.
Schools applied to: UCSF, UCLA, USC, UoPacific, Western, Midwestern AZ, Roseman, Marquette

Also I feel I need to get in this cycle so if I should add more schools please let me know! Thanks so much

overall gpa:
science gpa: 3.80
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.80
DAT score: AA: 21, TS: 23, BIO:22, Gen Chem: 21, Orgo:26, PAT: 19, QR: 16 (unfortunately)
extracurriculars
-Volunteer at Children's Hospital: 90hrs
-Served as a mentor through a university program for 20 International students (2+ Years)
-Leader for a University event where we cleaned up indigent areas in Alabama every semester (total of 3 semesters)
-Research for my orgo professor that dealt with drug synthesis (one semester with over 200hrs)
shadowing hours: Shadowed 3 Dentists: 25 hrs with two dentists and 100hrs with the 3rd dentist. (125hours)
letters of rec: 4 total (Orgo Professor, Bio 1 Prof, Molecular Genetics teacher, and Dentist I've shadowed for 100hrs)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted on July 14th, 2017
professional goals: I wanna first start out practicing in a Rural area then potentially move to a metropolitan area.
Residency: Alabama

Last edited:
Not sure if mine got overlooked, would love your opinion!

science gpa:3.45
undergrad attended: Ivy League
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 23 AA, 21 TS, 19 PA, 27 QR, 25 RC, 25 GC, 21 OC, 19 Bio
extracurriculars: President of fraternity, captain of basketball club team, clinic volunteer, TA for Bio/Chem courses, Publication from research-Sloan Kettering Memorial Hospital, Local Youth bball coach
shadowing hours: 150+ hours from general and pediatric dentists
letters of rec (how many, how strong, from who): Committee Letter including research Prof, Dentist. Strong letters from all recommenders
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: within the coming week or so
professional goals: general dentistry, but perhaps orthodontics?? had them as a kid so interested....
state of residence: Texas
misc info you think is important: currently working as a strategy analyst at a top firm, also interned for other firms during my junior, freshman summers (business major)
Applying to: 3 Texas Schools....not really sure where else I should apply beyond that, really need help here haha

overall gpa: 3.73
science gpa: 3.74
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.72
undergrad attended: CC (did the bio, chem, ochem prereqs here), University of California (took physics, micro, physio, genetics and will take anatomy here)
DAT score: 21 AA, 22 TS, 22 PA, 22QR, 18 RC (a bit low but I think I explained well in the app). Took this before transferring to four-year university.
extracurriculars: Treasurer/IVP of pre-dental society (2 years total after graduation), intramural volleyball/basketball (16+ hours), high school outreach facilitator (21+ hours), gardening (24+ hours), simulation clinical course (1 day), free health clinics (35+ hours); i have others but these are my current ones or ones I'll do throughout the year
shadowing hours: 104+ hours from family dentist, 3 hours from UNLV
letters of rec: 1 dentist (fairly strong), 1 cc ochem professor (decent), 1 uc physio professor (not sure..)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Done
misc info you think is important: Pharmaceutical Sciences major. 3.9 GPA in community college, 3.38 GPA in UC. Other than my first quarter transferring to a four-year university and one academically poor quarter consisting of a C and a W- which I explained in my app due to personal reasons- my grades at UC were all A's and B's.
Schools applied to: UCSF, UCLA, USC, UoPacific, Western, Midwestern AZ, Roseman, Marquette

Also I feel I need to get in this cycle so if I should add more schools please let me know! Thanks so much

I think your app looks good if you properly explained the stuff you said you did. You might want to apply to a few more private schools that accept CC credits to play it safe. If you apply a little more broadly, i think you'll definitely get in somewhere as long as you interview well.

overall gpa:
science gpa: 3.75
bio-chem-physics gpa: 3.77
undergrad attended: Auburn University
DAT score: AA: 21, TS: 23, BIO:22, Gen Chem: 21, Orgo:26, PAT: 19, QR: 16 (unfortunately)
extracurriculars
-Volunteer at Children's Hospital: 90hrs (2 yrs)
-Served as a mentor through a university program for 20 International students (2+ Years)
-Leader for a University event where we cleaned up indigent areas in Alabama every semester (total of 3 semesters)
-Founding Class of Phi Sigma Pi National Honor Fraternity and served as the recruitment chair leader for one semester.
-Phage Research with classmates won 1st place at the 7th annual Howard Hughes symposium
-Member of my Uni's Pre-dental society (4 Years)
-Research for my orgo professor that dealt with drug synthesis (one semester with over 200hrs)
shadowing hours: Shadowed 3 Dentists: 25 hrs with two dentists and 100hrs with the 3rd dentist. (125hours)
letters of rec: 4 total (Orgo Professor, Phage Professor, Molecular Genetics teacher, and Dentist I've shadowed for 100hrs)
when you plan on submitting AADSAS application: Submitted on July 14th, 2017
professional goals: I wanna first start out practicing in a Rural area then potentially move to a metropolitan area.
state of residence: Alabama
misc info you think is important: I have two withdrawals (one sophomore yr and one junior yr)
Schools applied to: any recommendations? I feel like the low QR score is holding me back

I wouldn't worry too much about QR score because the rest looks fine. Where were you thinking about applying?

Not sure if mine got overlooked, would love your opinion!

Definitely apply to more schools. Would do some OOS privates like Penn, columbia, nut, etc. Just to play it safe i say to apply to like 5 more schools

oGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.76
DAT score : 23 AA, 23 TS, 21 PAT, 21 Bio, 27 GC, 23 OC, 18 RC, 24 QR
Extracurricular: TA for G Chem, on Executive Board for Pre-Dental Club and Fraternity (volunteer through these) , Pre-Dental Mentor
Shadowing: 600+ hours of shadowing plus several hundred hours as a dental assistant.
LOR : 2 strong (one science professor, one dentist) 1 Generic (science professor) 1 Committee Letter

What are your professional goals? What schools were you thinking about applying to?

I wouldn't worry too much about QR score because the rest looks fine. Where were you thinking about applying?
My lists is: UAB, Pitt, NYU, Louisville, Maryland, Columbia, Michigan, Temple. You have any other recommendations? Money won't be holding me back

Last edited:
What are your professional goals? What schools were you thinking about applying to?

Personal Goals: HPSP Candidate, Want to one day earn MAGD and FICOI and want to run my own practice, preferably in a suburban or urban area.

PA Resident

Schools: Temple, Pittsburgh, Maryland, not sure where else yet, any suggestions?

On a side note, do you think my 18 in RC is going to hold me back from acceptance?