Chance me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboJo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Top 10 undergrad university
GPA = 3.4
MCAT = 30 (11P, 8V, 11B)
Studying bio
I am a minority.

Third author in a nature paper and currently working on second paper.
Established a student run state recognized EMS group
Several hundred hours teaching first-aid/emergency response (volunteer)
President of a sports club
Dozens of hours shadowing ER doctors and doing ambulance ride alongs
TA for a class for 1 year

I feel that my extra curricular activities will make up for my less than stellar gpa and mcat score. What are my chances of getting in to top tier and mid tier schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
with your stats you should be thinking more mid and low tier, throw in some tops if you want but realize that your scores will be below the 10th percentile for both GPA and MCAT for top tier schools

also maybe consider DO

your ECs arent actually anything out of the ordinary, adcoms see those things all the time, sorry to burst your bubble, also it depends on what kind of minority you are

but yea you have a shot, just be realistic and apply to schools that are align more with your stats

I had heard that getting published, especially in Nature, is a huge deal and can really boost your chances of getting in. Is that not the case?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had heard that getting published, especially in Nature, is a huge deal and can really boost your chances of getting in. Is that not the case?

I heard that getting published in nature just means knowing people (most of the time). :confused: Sorry to go off topic lol.

I'm sure you can get in mid/lower tier! Good luck!

Or you know, working on the same project for three years. One or the other.

Or you know, working on the same project for three years. One or the other.

You didn't post your research experience :p
But really, nobel laureates constantly produce Nature papers (sometimes of shameful quality).

Edit: Don't let me take away from your luster. Honestly, you have a publication, that's great!
The thing is, even with your possible URM status and top 10 undergrad history, your gpa and mcat will hold you back. I'm not saying you won't make it to top 25, but top 10 are probably out of reach.

Top 10 undergrad university
GPA = 3.4
MCAT = 30 (11P, 8V, 11B)
Studying bio
I am a minority.

Third author in a nature paper and currently working on second paper.
Established a student run state recognized EMS group
Several hundred hours teaching first-aid/emergency response (volunteer)
President of a sports club
Dozens of hours shadowing ER doctors and doing ambulance ride alongs
TA for a class for 1 year

I feel that my extra curricular activities will make up for my less than stellar gpa and mcat score. What are my chances of getting in to top tier and mid tier schools?

Thanks!

Mid tier - excellent. Top tier? How 'top'? And how URM?

Your stats are good enough to be solid (ie not a high-risk of failure student) almost anywhere, and yes, your ECs are very strong.

Apply broadly to mostly mid-tiers with a few 'reaches' where your ECs fit best. Probably not Harvard or Hopkins level, but best in your state --

Thanks for the advice guys! I was only planning on applying to a few reach schools to begin with (3-4 and Harvard for kicks and giggles). Then I'm mostly applying to mid and low tier.

I suggest sticking with low tier-medium tier schools, your state school (if any) and all new MD programs. You're fine for any DO program (including mine).

Congrats on the Nature paper....it is an accomplishment, but I don't think it will land your an interview with below avg stats and an imbalanced MCAT at the top schools, even if they are research heavy.

Thanks for the advice guys! I was only planning on applying to a few reach schools to begin with (3-4 and Harvard for kicks and giggles). Then I'm mostly applying to mid and low tier.