Chance me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fedoraenglish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess it doesn't matter what my chances are at this point since I've already submitted all my secondaries.. but I'd like to know anyway.

I have 3.54 sGPA, and my best set of mcat scores is BS:10. PS:8. VR:9. Although I scored all of these on different occasions. My average MCAT score is a 24ish. Not happy about it, but I've written it three times and I just don't think I'm capable of performing well in the physics section.

-loads of hospital volunteering, especially with the underserved
-cancer research
-genetic research
-clinical shadowing
-studied abroad for a year (schools apparently love this, shows independence and drive etc.)
-really good LORs (I got As in the courses the profs taught, they knew me very well and I know I had made a good impression because they had witnessed my work ethic by noticing my attendance, office hours, and improvement throughout the semester)
-people have told me I'm an excellent writer, so my personal essay and my secondaries really demonstrate this.

I applied to
tulane
georgetown
meharry
howard
NYMC
george washington
rosalind franklin
saint louis
michigan state
virginia commonwealth
creighton

I also applied to Ireland as my backup, but I genuinely loved Ireland when I visited and would be happy there.

just please tell me if you think I have any shot in hell at any of those schools. I would really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you are rum, I'd say pretty bad overall, especially at hbc. Is the 27 your latest score or is it the best of your sub scores? The gpa is low too.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I know, Creighton and Georgetown do... I need to find an updated version of the list that do. Its several, I think.

I'm not very sanguine; a 27 MCAT is pretty close to being on life support at best. You clearly haven't done your research, because three of your choices are HBCs, and so you have no hope there unless you're URM.

Best possible shots are with the schools below, and most DO programs.

tulane
georgetown
NYMC
george washington
rosalind franklin
saint louis
creighton

Thanks, I appreciate your input. And I *clearly* have done my research, as I am a URM. Why else would I apply to a HBC?

Last edited:
I asked that question because there are an unbelievable number of clueless kids who are NOT URM, but apply to the HBCs based upon their numbers only.

Being a URM, I think therefore, you do stand a better chance now. Do let us know how things turn out!

Thanks, I appreciate your input. And I *clearly* have done my research, as I am a URM. Why else would I apply to a HBC?

Tulane is unlikely as well. They LOVE high MCAT scores and non-trads. Last year's mean MCAT was a 33.3. I also heard rumours of 30-31 automatic cut-off this year (despite what the website says), though I can't verify this.

I have like... non-traditional pieces to my application in the sense that I studied abroad for a year, did all this interesting stuff with my life, had a death in the family that explain my dip in academics which I talk about in my amcas essay, and learned to manage stress because of it....