Chance Me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clevslevthenonsensedev

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
524 MCAT (131/131/130/132)
3.90 cGPA, 3.95 sGPA from Large State School
Physics Math Double Major, Stats Minor - Lots of classes in other areas. Didn't decide on medicine until junior year
1 Publication biophysics
1 Publication astrophysics
White Male, from rural area
40 Hours Hospital Volunteering
No Real Shadowing experience (will get some this year before applying)
Major Leadership Role in large environmentalist group, lots of volunteer hours with that

I'll be taking a gap year since I was not ready to apply this summer, but I will be graduating in the spring and apply next summer.

What are my chances of getting in to some nicer places (i.e. Cleveland Clinic LCM or Emory)
and what should I do to improve my resume?

Members don't see this ad.

Add 50 hours of shadowing and more clinical volunteering hours. You are competitive for most MD schools but include your state public schools.

Thank you! Are there clinical volunteering opportunities you would recommend outside of the typical hospital setting? I appreciated the experience there to observe medicine up close but I didn't feel very helpful there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find some clinical experience like in a hospice, or helping children in a pediatric hospital. You can find a ton of opportunities on websites of hospitals or service websites.
Find some shadowing, try like a week in 3 different specialties including family medicine. 5 or so hours a day for a week each = 75 hours of shadowing.
You say you have a lot of normal volunteer experience so that's good, do you have any underprivileged volunteering?