Chance Me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aggie261

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Texas A&M University Student currently. I will be graduating next fall and will be applying next cycle. Seeing all the stats here on SDN kinda has me worried and I am looking for reassurance that I still have a shot at dental school!

I am a Texas resident. My first choice school is Texas A&M Dental in Dallas.

Science Grades (my biggest concern as my first two years were not the greatest):
1st Semester:
Gen. Chem 1: A
Lab: B

2nd Semester:
Gen. Chem 2: C

3rd Semester:
Bio 1 w/ lab: A
Ochem 1: B and lab was also B

4th Semester:
Bio 2 w/ lab: B
Ochem 2: B and lab was also a B

Summer:
Physics 1: A (community college)

5th Semester:
Genetics w/ lab: A
Biochem 1: A

6th (current) Semester:
Microbiology: anticipate an A
Biochem 2: also anticipating an A
I am trying super hard this semester to keep up the 4.0 trend from last semester!

7th (next and final) Semester:
Physics 2: -
A&P: -

So current science GPA is a 3.5 I believe with my two math classes. Overall is around a 3.7. I am hoping the upward trend from last semester and hopefully this semester is noticed and helps!

DAT: 21 AA (no section under 18)

I have a few extracurriculars:
-Pre-Dental
-MSA club
-horse back riding lessons
-I do henna and I am not sure if that counts towards manual dexterity. People are telling me mixed things on that.
-Volunteering at a Elementary School for 3 semesters now

Over 100 shadowing hours.

All these 3.8+ applicants are kinda freaking me out so please shed some light on what you think my chances are and what I should do to boost my chances, if theres anything I can do at this point at all!

Members don't see this ad.

Texas A&M University Student currently. I will be graduating next fall and will be applying next cycle. Seeing all the stats here on SDN kinda has me worried and I am looking for reassurance that I still have a shot at dental school!

I am a Texas resident. My first choice school is Texas A&M Dental in Dallas.

Science Grades (my biggest concern as my first two years were not the greatest):
1st Semester:
Gen. Chem 1: A

2nd Semester:
Gen. Chem 2: C

3rd Semester:
Bio 1 w/ lab: A
Ochem 1: B and lab was also B

4th Semester:
Bio 2 w/ lab: B
Ochem 2: B and lab was also a B

Summer:
Physics 1: A (community college)

5th Semester:
Genetics w/ lab: A
Biochem 1: A

6th (current) Semester:
Microbiology: anticipate an A
Biochem 2: also anticipating an A
I am trying super hard this semester to keep up the 4.0 trend from last semester!

7th (next and final) Semester:
Physics 2: -
A&P: -

So current science GPA is a 3.5 I believe with my two math classes. Overall is around a 3.7. I am hoping the upward trend from last semester and hopefully this semester is noticed and helps!

DAT: 21 AA (no section under 18)

I have a few extracurriculars:
-Pre-Dental
-MSA club
-horse back riding lessons
-I do henna and I am not sure if that counts towards manual dexterity. People are telling me mixed things on that.
-Volunteering at a Elementary School for 3 semesters now

Over 100 shadowing hours.

All these 3.8+ applicants are kinda freaking me out so please shed some light on what you think my chances are and what I should do to boost my chances, if theres anything I can do at this point at all!

You’ll be fine. Up the dental related volunteering to about 100 hours that’s a big thing. With average ECs, and slightly above average DAT and GPA apply to about 10 more schools on top of your Texas schools.

Average scores for acceptance is like 3.4-3.5 and 20 dat. These forums aren’t a great source of comfort for applying. You’re fine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You’ll be fine. Up the dental related volunteering to about 100 hours that’s a big thing. With average ECs, and slightly above average DAT and GPA apply to about 10 more schools on top of your Texas schools.

So in addition to dental shadowing I should have 100 hours of dental related volunteering? Is that supposed to be like volunteering at a non-profit clinic for low income and such?

Some schools specifically want to see some dental related volunteering in addition to other volunteering.

That’s Possible I have no idea what the Texas schools want, schools usually say what the requirements are on their websites.

Some schools specifically want to see some dental related volunteering in addition to other volunteering.
Still don't understand what that means... volunteering at a low income clinic? Study abroad mission trip type thing? Never heard of dental volunteering specifically, only shadowing or assisting.

I would get involved in research, was brought up in every one of my interviews. It also led to stellar LOR's from my research professors. Other than that, your stats will get you interviews.

I would get involved in research, was brought up in every one of my interviews. It also led to stellar LOR's from my research professors. Other than that, your stats will get you interviews.
I am an Animal Science major and in department honors so I am doing animal related research as its an honors requirement. I am currently talking to two professors regarding opportunities and should be starting after Spring Break. Not sure if that would still look super good as its not general science related?

I am an Animal Science major and in department honors so I am doing animal related research as its an honors requirement. I am currently talking to two professors regarding opportunities and should be starting after Spring Break. Not sure if that would still look super good as its not general science related?
Should be fine. Try to get a summer internship out of it so you can list it on your experience section. If you are taking it for credit, I believe you can't put it on the experience section.

Dental volunteering is like volunteering at a free dental clinic