Chance My Hubby, Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chaucyboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My husband is a non-traditional pre-med student, and he is in the process of applying to med school. He is looking to have a conversation with me in order to help generate a (reasonable) list of med schools to apply to this cycle. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone would be willing to give me honest opinions on what "level" of med school to shoot for. Here are his stats:
  1. Undergraduate GPA: cGPA: 3.3 sGPA: 3.3 at Conn College
  2. Graduate GPA: M.S. degree in chemistry, Syracuse University 3.8
  3. MCAT: 521
  4. New Mexico resident
  5. Caucasian male
  6. 300 hrs clinical experience in a rural NM hospital, primarily surgical, family medicine, psychiatry
  7. 7 yrs research: 2 undergraduate (1 publication, 1 poster) 5 yrs. Graduate (M.S. degree, 1 publication, multiple posters)
  8. Extracurricular activities: crew team, silver medalist in NY state finals wrestling, artist and geology as hobbies
  9. Graduate teaching award
  10. Years of work experience as a medical writer, started his own business in medical writing and consulting
Obviously, I think he's awesome, but he was a bit immature in undergraduate and didn't receive a high GPA. His hope is that the MCAT scores will demonstrate his academic capabilities, coupled with the years of research and his graduate GPA.

We just moved to CA for my job, so my hope is for a CA school.....?
If a CA school is not reasonable, then a Western school? (NM, AZ, CO, OR)

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Shelly

Members don't see this ad.

Does he have the MSAR? If not he should purchase it and use it to develop a list of schools. And he should spend time on here reading threads etc.. How far along in the application process is he? Has he submitted his primary? Is he verified ? If not it is getting late for AMCAS. He has a very good MCAT but his uGPAs are pretty low for MD. Not sure how the Masters will factor in decisions. Is he thinking about applying to DO?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user