This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamlostinlife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Consider applying to all Canadian schools whose admissions requirements you meet, though your best chances are at your in-province school(s).
http://uoitdcpremed.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2018-AdmissionRequirements_en.pdf

If you have questions about a specific school, Premed101 is the better forum to ask.

If you're looking for something to do this summer, taking a second volunteer job might be helpful. Or get a job in healthcare, even better.

Due to the expense and risk of not matching if you go outside Canada, I'd recommend applying only in Canada for a few years before even considering going international. Especially at your young age, there's no need to rush into anything.

Hi!

I think you have a pretty good chance! I would make sure to apply to all the schools within your province since they place an emphasis on accepting residents (the majority of spaces are reserves for in province student even if you did you bachelors out of province)

I know some schools allow for you to submit of letter of extenuating circumstances where you can elaborate on the medical/family issues as long as you have valid proof).

However, Canadian medical schools are notorious for having sky high GPA cut offs, although your GPA at 3.8 is pretty high your application will be looked at for sure. You might want to think about adding any EC or sports of hobbies which you enjoy and have excelled at. I know a lot of people who have average or even low GPAs (3.2-3.6) who were accepted within their own province due to stellar CV and ECs.

Unfortunately, a stellar GPA is crucial but not enough to get you into a Canadian medical school. However, I would say it is safe to say you have a solid shot!

Worse case scenario, you have so much time to build your CV and work on volunteering experiences and growing your passions during a gap year.
You are fresh off you bachelors and have so much time to grow your passion for medicine, don't feel like if you don't get in on the first shot you have failed.

PS: a word of caution re grad school. Not sure if this is something you are thinking about, but beware that entering grad school is a great addition to an application but make sure you go into for the right reasons! make sure you have a passion for research and are ready to commit 2-3 years to your project because medical schools will not look at applicants who are mid grad school. If research is not your passion, there are plenty of other graduate level programs (MPH for example) which you can look into to build your application if that is what you wish.

Best of luck, with your GPA you have a solid foundation!