Chance of admission after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srbm1786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there’s any way to find admission percentages after interviews for the various osteopathic schools.

I’ve already interviewed at my top choice program and am expecting to hear back late August/early September, and I’m trying to decide if I should go ahead and apply to more schools or wait until I get a decision from this school. I initially applied to 7 DO schools (so far I’ve received secondaries from five, interviewed at one) and my two state MD schools, but I would choose my top choice DO program over the MD schools even if I’m admitted.

There are a few other DO programs I’m interested in, but I’d like to save the money if I feel like my chances at my top choice are pretty good. Assuming that I didn’t say anything bizarre at my interview, is there any way to gauge the likelihood of admission at this point? And is it silly to wait until I hear back from that program before I submit more applications? I know earlier is better but early September isn’t really late, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if there’s any way to find admission percentages after interviews for the various osteopathic schools.

I’ve already interviewed at my top choice program and am expecting to hear back late August/early September, and I’m trying to decide if I should go ahead and apply to more schools or wait until I get a decision from this school. I initially applied to 7 DO schools (so far I’ve received secondaries from five, interviewed at one) and my two state MD schools, but I would choose my top choice DO program over the MD schools even if I’m admitted.

There are a few other DO programs I’m interested in, but I’d like to save the money if I feel like my chances at my top choice are pretty good. Assuming that I didn’t say anything bizarre at my interview, is there any way to gauge the likelihood of admission at this point? And is it silly to wait until I hear back from that program before I submit more applications? I know earlier is better but early September isn’t really late, right?
They don't exist.

Also, admission is 100% on you.

At my school, we get some 5000 apps

Interview ~500

Admit ~350

Seat ~100.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
September is not late to apply to additional DO schools.

Thanks. I’m leaning toward waiting. No sense in spending the money or wasting anyone’s time if I know I’ll choose the other program if they admit me.

Sounds to me like you should wait this one out. With secondaries and interviews already completed, it seems that maybe you are a stronger candidate than others. If you have already interviewed at your top school, then I would wait. Furthermore, it is not late to apply to more DO schools in September, and if you are a strong applicant then there is nothing to miss out on.

If you do get into one of your state MD programs though, please save yourself and go MD. I know you might have made up your mind on your top DO program now, but trust me you will suffer from all the consequences that comes with the DO degree throughout this journey. No matter what's holding you from putting those MD schools as your top choices now, I beg you to get over it or them before you regret making a terrible career decision. Just an honest advice from a DO student.

Last edited:
There was a spreadsheet going around at some point but it used old data and some seemed blatantly false. Most of the DO schools were around 45-70% post interview acceptance rate. But you're not a hypothetical random person with a 45%-70% chance of acceptance after an interview. If you do very well, you have a better chance of getting in than someone else who didn't do so well and vice versa.

Reactions: 1 users
There was a spreadsheet going around at some point but it used old data and some seemed blatantly false. Most of the DO schools were around 45-70% post interview acceptance rate. But you're not a hypothetical random person with a 45%-70% chance of acceptance after an interview. If you do very well, you have a better chance of getting in than someone else who didn't do so well and vice versa.
1000% correct.

Getting admitted is 100% on the interviewee. All we can do here is advise on chances of getting IIs.

1000% correct.

Getting admitted is 100% on the interviewee. All we can do here is advise on chances of getting IIs.

Gotcha. I was wondering about something like the spreadsheet, but if the data isn’t accurate it isn’t really helpful (not that I could do anything to influence the outcome at this point anyway...I’m mostly just antsy). I feel like the interview went fine (I’ve been told I interview well and I don’t think I stumbled or said anything off the wall), but the virtual format is really unfortunate so it’s hard to gauge how I did.

I do think I’m going to hold off on additional DO applications until I hear something, since the consensus seems to be that applying in September isn’t late.

Do NOT do this

If you do get into one of your state MD programs though, please save yourself and go MD. I know you might have made up your mind on your top DO program now, but trust you will suffer from all the consequences that comes with the DO degree throughout this journey. No matter what's holding you from putting those MD schools as your top choices now, I beg you to get over it or them before you regret making a terrible career decision. Just an honest advice from a DO student.
Do NOT do this

I appreciate this advice and understand where it’s coming from. Given my particular situation (I’m a non-trad with children and a spouse’s career to consider) and my future goals (rural FM), my top choice DO program is more attractive for practical and financial reasons than my state MD programs. I know the general consensus is USMD>DO, but after running the numbers and considering the residencies I will likely apply to (most of which match plenty of DOs and IMGs), this path makes the most sense for me and my family.

But of course I will keep my options open and see what happens during the admission cycle.

I appreciate this advice and understand where it’s coming from. Given my particular situation (I’m a non-trad with children and a spouse’s career to consider) and my future goals (rural FM), my top choice DO program is more attractive for practical and financial reasons than my state MD programs. I know the general consensus is USMD>DO, but after running the numbers and considering the residencies I will likely apply to (most of which match plenty of DOs and IMGs), this path makes the most sense for me and my family.

But of course I will keep my options open and see what happens during the admission cycle.
You know what's best for you. Good luck!