%chance of getting accepted to UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asim419

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'm an illinois resident and go to school at the university of illinois at urbana-champaign. I was wondering if someone can help me out on what my chances may be on getting accepted the university of illinois at chicago dental school? it's my first choice. my stats are:

gpa:3.2
science gpa: about 3.0
dat academic: 16
retaking dat on nov. 6
and i have all the extra stuff like shadowing, volunteering, research.

any help would ge appreciated.
thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Asim,

Being an Illinois resident will help, and from what i've read, UIC likes UIUC students. Your gpa might be a little on the low end for UIC, but if you really rock the DAT 20+ style, you should be ok, assuming that your ec's are really strong..letters...etc. You might also think about applying to SIU if you are from southern illinois, it seems like a very strong school as well. Good luck.

Your stats are on par.

But your DAT will negatively stand out because nowadays scores of even an 18 are very rare.

Scores of 20 are already common, as the exam is not really that difficult.

Apply to 'weaker' dental schools, so that if you get into one of these and get rejected by Illinois, you can then at least attempt a transfer.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey slave4md, I'm curious as to where you got your information that "scores of 20 are already common." Thats funny you say that, because I have information that the average student accepted at UIC has somewhere around an 18 on the DATs. Where do you get off saying the "exam is really not that difficult" as well? Different people have different backgrounds. Perhaps someone who has a non-science major and only took the required science classes would not find the test as easy as you.

Asim, I would ignore any "advice" slave4md tells you. He cannot possibly read your entire application, nor come even close to comprehending what kind of life experiences you've had. I wish you luck. Stay positive and confident, as it will help you in your interviews.

Originally posted by Rovert
hey slave4md, I'm curious as to where you got your information that "scores of 20 are already common." Thats funny you say that, because I have information that the average student accepted at UIC has somewhere around an 18 on the DATs. Where do you get off saying the "exam is really not that difficult" as well? Different people have different backgrounds. Perhaps someone who has a non-science major and only took the required science classes would not find the test as easy as you.

Ahem. I AM a non-science major. I received a BS in math and a BS in computer science ( which is not a natural science and hence cannot be considered as a 'science' in our context.).

Truth be told. I acknowledge that the DAT is very overwhelming, as it covers a great range of materials.

But look at most of the DAT questions. They are very basic and straightforward. For the general chem and organic chem sections, they merely become a pattern of recognizing the correct answer, with the wrong answers obviously being stupid choices. They don't come close to being as difficult as your college chem midterms/finals.

The biology part is of similar difficulty but the problem here is that you never know what they will ask you.

DAT math = High school algebra/trig/pre-calc. If you don't get over a 20 on this one, it's astounding to see how you got into college.

For the reading part, the answers ARE in the passages, DIRECTLY. Search and peck and it's all there. They don't ask you difficult, hypothetical questions that you see in other entrance exams.

The PAT is unique and many DAT review books do not emphasize on difficult PAT questions, which we need because the actual PAT is more difficult. Nevertheless, the PAT requires no science/math background but practiced concentration and thinking. The lowest you should get should be a 19 on this one, but a higher score for academic average.

I think they were some private schools in the midwest ( lower end schools of the DAT curve ), but I know two people who went to interview there with 18-19s ( it says this was the average for their latest matriculants on these schools' websites ) and they were told that their DATs were not that good. But I don't know if they got in or not, because I didn't get to see them before they graduated.

Also, an 18 is 50-70% and it's simply a poor score that most people personally rarely hear of anyone getting.

Rovert, thanks for your under-acheiving and positive insight for all prospective dental students.

Slave4MD, it's one thing giving people 'sincere advice', but seeing the insensitivity in your communication style, I really do not think you should be going into the medical field. From all the posts you've written, you seem to be the kind of person who is deliberately trying to push people's buttons, so that the flaming can begin. You almost seem to be rude on purpose, and enjoying it, I should add!

Asim, I am with Rovert on his advice. Ignore what slave4MD is saying. Scores of 20 might be common on this forum, but they are definitely not common when you look at all the applicants. Good luck on the DAT, you will do great!

I am trying to convince the fella to do well on the DAT and not to 'settle' for anything because in all honestly the exam is very fair and straightforward and most people do well.

If he starts practicing laxity like you, he might fall into the borderline or might not get in at all.

Applicants that want to get in somewhere should not follow YOUR advice.

Slave4MD,

Dude your a damn arrogant S.O.B. Just b/c your stats are better than others don't mean you have to put them out. You don't have to go prouncing around telling ppl that they shouldn't get anything lower than a 19 on the PAT and so alluding to the fact that they're stupid if they do. Dude, your communications skill need serious work b/c who would wanna come to you for dental help or medical help or whatever the million other professions your applying to. Hell why didn't you take the LSATs. And by the way, your stats aint all that.

Originally posted by DDSboy
Slave4MD,

Dude your a damn arrogant S.O.B. Just b/c your stats are better than others don't mean you have to put them out. You don't have to go prouncing around telling ppl that they shouldn't get anything lower than a 19 on the PAT and so alluding to the fact that they're stupid if they do. Dude, your communications skill need serious work b/c who would wanna come to you for dental help or medical help or whatever the million other professions your applying to. Hell why didn't you take the LSATs. And by the way, your stats aint all that.

Kid,

I never told people what to get and I was never belittling them of their stats.

This is an advice/feedback ( not an official QA board ) forum, stupid. If you can't take someone's honest opinion, what's the point of this? You don't know the people here and if you don't want their advice, well nobody is forcing you.

Also, I never mentioned to anyone that my stats are good because they're not. If anything, my gpa carries more merit than your's because everyone knows that computer science is harder than bio.

Now you're questioning me as to why I'm applying to gazillion places?

You're too young and naive to understand my circumstances.

I'm a lot older than you and I was fired from my lead programming post at a video game developer ( the reason was really none of their business. Hell, I was the one making the engine for their killer games ) and was unable to find a game programming job ever since.

hey slave4md. You say your older but you don't seem so mature yourself. And I don't think that your GPA carries more opinion than DDSboys. Both are competitive majors.

alright guys..no need for fighting..i understand that my grades and scores are low..that's why I was asking for people's opinions..honest opinions..and i respect everyone for trying to give me their honest guesses.

nevertheless, i dont really pay attention to people who tend to put me down or push themselves up..i've heard it too many times..after all, i've done pretty good so far.. :)

i will be retaking my dat's soon..nov.4..and hope to do better..

but does anyone else have any familiarity with my chances of getting into UIC? I asked a dental student who goes there and he said that my dat was significant enough because I am an Illinois resident..but then again..that was one person telling me that..

im just hoping to cross my fingers and do the best I can..if i get in..i do..if not, there's always next year..

thanks again guys.
any more opinions for uic and their admission requirements?