Chance of Getting into Dental School this Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smile matters

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my second semester of junior year and trying to graduate a semester early because I will finish all the requirements to graduate. I am in a university where most of the upper level biology classes are very hard. I am trying my best but they are not all A's :( My stats and experiences:
GPA: 3.3
Haven't taken the DAT yet. Trying to take it around may-june
PR chair for the dental club at my school
+120 shadowing hours including general and ortho
+100 volunteer hours

What are my chances? How many schools should I apply to? Can you guys please give me you thoughts! HELP Me!

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing we tell you will hold any weight until you take your DAT, its such a big part of your application. Your gpa isn't terrible so if you do well you have a good shot!

Reactions: 1 users
If you get a 21+ on the DAT, it will make up for the fact that you may not have the best grades. However, your grades are not even that bad to begin with. If you perform well on the DAT, I'm sure you'll get an acceptance somewhere.

The GPA is okay especially if you are attending a high caliber university and taking difficult classes. I believe they also calculate your GPA for Science-Based Classes vs Overall Classes. You'll have to do really well on your DAT. I just started writing my personal statement as I'm also planning on taking the exam in May/June. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
The GPA is okay especially if you are attending a high caliber university and taking difficult classes. I believe they also calculate your GPA for Science-Based Classes vs Overall Classes. You'll have to do really well on your DAT. I just started writing my personal statement as I'm also planning on taking the exam in May/June. Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck to you too! and how does the personal statement work? is there a prompt?

I am in my second semester of junior year and trying to graduate a semester early because I will finish all the requirements to graduate. I am in a university where most of the upper level biology classes are very hard. I am trying my best but they are not all A's :( My stats and experiences:
GPA: 3.3
Haven't taken the DAT yet. Trying to take it around may-june
PR chair for the dental club at my school
+120 shadowing hours including general and ortho
+100 volunteer hours

What are my chances? How many schools should I apply to? Can you guys please give me you thoughts! HELP Me!
Is 3.3 your science GPA? If so will you be able to maintain that GPA after completing the required course work?

Is 3.3 your science GPA? If so will you be able to maintain that GPA after completing the required course work?
No, I wasn't sure how to calculate the science GPA so it's my overall GPA. With the classes I am taking right now, I might be able to get my overall to a 3.4

I have a 3.5 so this thread will be interesting to follow. Did crap my first year and a half in uni, got C-/C grades and then pulled it up these last 2 years by getting lots of A/A+ . I think as long as there's an upward trend it will be in your favour, and mine. Plus as the previous poster said, acceptance will really be contingent on DAT scores. I'm taking mine in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
I have a 3.4 so this thread will be interesting to follow. Did crap my first year and a half in uni, got C-/C grades and then pulled it up these last 2 years by getting lots of A/A+ . I think as long as there's an upward trend it will be in your favour, and mine. Plus as the previous poster said, acceptance will really be contingent on DAT scores. I'm taking mine in 3 weeks.
Same! I do have a upward trend but last semester my classes were difficult so my GPA went from 3.4 to a 3.3 so I am trying to bring it back up this semester. Good luck on your DAT! hope you prepared well!

Same! I do have a upward trend but last semester my classes were difficult so my GPA went from 3.4 to a 3.3 so I am trying to bring it back up this semester. Good luck on your DAT! hope you prepared well!

I'm sure you'll be able to pull it back up, just work hard! I really sacrificed a lot of things in my life to bring my grades up and make up for my bad years. Lost some friends on the way but gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks! I'm feeling fuzzy and inconsistent on PAT. Did my first practice exam and got a 17 lol but then on all the generators I'm averaging 10-12/15.. Guess I still have lots of practice to do.

Update: Unfortunately my sGPA is 3.00 so I guess that changes a lot
That is a rather low GPA, I would definitely make some inquires before applying to a lot of schools. You are going to need to Destroy the DAT and even with that you are going to be limited on schools but you need to do put some time investigating your possibilites.

Wishing you the best..Nancy

I really think you shouldn't graduate early, but rather take more electives in other courses to get more A's to make your GPA better, take more math classes or any science classes you know it does not have to be Biology or Chemistry or Physics, there are other courses that is considered other sciences.

I really think you shouldn't graduate early, but rather take more electives in other courses to get more A's to make your GPA better, take more math classes or any science classes you know it does not have to be Biology or Chemistry or Physics, there are other courses that is considered other sciences.
I was just going to graduate early and if needed take more science classes in a university closer to home during my semester off. Not many courses are offered in the university I am attending right now and I've taken most of the science classes that are provided. The other one's that are available are ridiculously hard so I am not sure if I should take the risk right now. I am willing to put in the work but I also don't want to risk it at this time when I have another option.

I was just going to graduate early and if needed take more science classes in a university closer to home during my semester off. Not many courses are offered in the university I am attending right now and I've taken most of the science classes that are provided. The other one's that are available are ridiculously hard so I am not sure if I should take the risk right now. I am willing to put in the work but I also don't want to risk it at this time when I have another option.

Sounds like a good plan, your best bet for now is to graduate with as high grade as possible, then work very hard for your DAT. Then after you take the Dat you register to the other school next to your home, and take classes to better your application, just in case you didn't get in this cycle.
Best of luck.

I concur with this statement. With how far along you are, you have to make to to basically do the best you absolutely can on the DAT. In my opinion, a 20 or 21 AA will not be enough. 23+ is really the only way to prove that you learned it all. Even then, the DAT shows nothing about long-term work ethic, and that is why the DAT as well as GPA are both important in different ways.

Before I get going, I want to say this is my opinion as a Rising Senior undergrad Biochem major. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and most of them stink!!

I am gonna be a critic here, so just bear with me: With a 3.0 sGPA, how are you going to explain to adcoms (that is, IF you get an interview at a school) that you deserve to be given a spot in dental school when you graduated EARLY AND volunteered 100+ hours and shadowed 120+ hours? I have spoken to dentists on adcoms who would question why you shadowed 120+ hours and gave 100+ hours of community service time when you couldn't even keep your grades up? Dental school is harder than any undergraduate program, especially because of the time constraint. I've also heard from many people that they really hate when they hear a student who has hundreds of shadowing hours and they think that continuing shadowing will help their chances of getting into school. 40-60 hours of good quality shadowing is PLENTY, in my opinion, to know you want to go to dental school and pursue dentistry.

Also, if you are scared of taking upper level biology classes because they are really hard and will make your GPA drop even MORE, are you REALLY prepared to be accepted into dental school? You should be kicking upper-level courses butts! Dental school is only harder.

Again, I was really critical, but only because it seems to me you need to be very critical of yourself from here-on-out. You are gonna have to kick the DAT in its butt! Good luck studying!

Reactions: 1 users
I concur with this statement. With how far along you are, you have to make to to basically do the best you absolutely can on the DAT. In my opinion, a 20 or 21 AA will not be enough. 23+ is really the only way to prove that you learned it all. Even then, the DAT shows nothing about long-term work ethic, and that is why the DAT as well as GPA are both important in different ways.

Before I get going, I want to say this is my opinion as a Rising Senior undergrad Biochem major. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and most of them stink!!

I am gonna be a critic here, so just bear with me: With a 3.0 sGPA, how are you going to explain to adcoms (that is, IF you get an interview at a school) that you deserve to be given a spot in dental school when you graduated EARLY AND volunteered 100+ hours and shadowed 120+ hours? I have spoken to dentists on adcoms who would question why you shadowed 120+ hours and gave 100+ hours of community service time when you couldn't even keep your grades up? Dental school is harder than any undergraduate program, especially because of the time constraint. I've also heard from many people that they really hate when they hear a student who has hundreds of shadowing hours and they think that continuing shadowing will help their chances of getting into school. 40-60 hours of good quality shadowing is PLENTY, in my opinion, to know you want to go to dental school and pursue dentistry.

Also, if you are scared of taking upper level biology classes because they are really hard and will make your GPA drop even MORE, are you REALLY prepared to be accepted into dental school? You should be kicking upper-level courses butts! Dental school is only harder.

Again, I was really critical, but only because it seems to me you need to be very critical of yourself from here-on-out. You are gonna have to kick the DAT in its butt! Good luck studying!
Great advice and what a pleasant surprise to see you on the forum.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user