Chance of getting into podiatry school after MD failure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PirellitTyres

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I flunked out of medical school for academic reasons, so I'm considering applying to podiatry school. My top choice is Kent State or Temple, since they are close to where I live now (Pittsburgh). My GPA is 3.6 and MCAT 512, but I have no podiatrist shadowing experience (unless you count wikifeet lol). I also have some qualms about podiatry because I was terrible at anything surgery/hands on related in medical school (stitching, cutting/dissecting in anatomy lab, giving shots, taking blood, even basic CPR, any research that wasn't data analysis/basic pipetting)

Members don't see this ad.

Haven’t you gone from pharmacy to DO to podiatry all in the matter of a few days? I would just give it some time to sink in before pivoting immediately to a new career.

With that being said, yes a podiatry school would take you as they’re like pharmacy schools in that they’re just trying to fill seats

Reactions: 2 users
I know you're going through a difficult time right now. As the poster above me said, you need to take some time off. Do not make rush decisions in your current state. MD/DO/PharmD/DPM is not going anywhere. I suggest getting a low stress job if you don't already have one and work on any health and personal issues. When you feel better, sit down with a mentor, and decide what you truly want. If you want to try medicine again, some DO school will likely take you. But you need some time between this event and returning to school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or apply to PA school, have some great autonomy, less loans, good salary and less of your 20s lost in school/residency. I know of some “mid-levels” absolutely killing it right now and loving life.

I would go get a job doing something physical- preferably outside- for a while at least. You need to get out of your head! I know a young man in Florida who is putting up hurricane shutters on the side, making $4K/ week right now. Or go work in a barn, ferriers right now are also killing it, since no one knows how to shoe horses any more. One of my former co-workers got fed up and bought a tractor. He makes roughly $10K/ month tilling gardens, doing driveways, excavating stuff.
My nephew has a chemistry degree, but he is killing it with a pressure washing business. In the fall, he hangs Xmas lights. In January and February, he hangs out and plays with his kid, 'cuz he's got enough money saved already from the prior seasons. Healthcare is not the only thing out there...Being self employed is a good gig.
Or heck, go teach math or science in an inner city high school. So many options that don't require more schooling...

Reactions: 1 user
Podiatry is highly hands-on... nearly half of patients get a procedure od some sort.

I Concur with going slow, shadowing as much as you can. GL

I flunked out of medical school for academic reasons, so I'm considering applying to podiatry school. My top choice is Kent State or Temple, since they are close to where I live now (Pittsburgh). My GPA is 3.6 and MCAT 512, but I have no podiatrist shadowing experience (unless you count wikifeet lol). I also have some qualms about podiatry because I was terrible at anything surgery/hands on related in medical school (stitching, cutting/dissecting in anatomy lab, giving shots, taking blood, even basic CPR, any research that wasn't data analysis/basic pipetting)

I will save you some time and money and advise you that this field is not for you. Not only because of academic reasons but also because of your poor hands-on skills. Take some time off and get your mental/emotional state back to normal. When you are ready, think about your plans. It does not have to be anything in medicine. IMO, it is time for plan B. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hand skills are REQUIRED in our training.

You will need surgical skills and even hand skills for small office procedures such as ingrown nails etc.

I second what Dexter said.

1) Take some time off. If someone else is pushing you to be in the medical field- tell them to politely f*** off.
2) Go work a real job that you personally want. It will not only give you real world experience but give you perspective.
3) Think of things YOU want to do that are outside of medicine. Sometimes we have our own heads so far up our a***es about medicine that we don't realize there are other jobs out there we could be doing that would absolutely give us a better quality of life.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m curious. What happens to podiatrist who ends up being not so good with hands/procedures.

In medicine, I feel like we can always switch to something like path or rads if we aren’t good at patient interaction or surgical type stuff but I’ve always been interested in how that works for podiatry/dentistry

I’m curious. What happens to podiatrist who ends up being not so good with hands/procedures.

In medicine, I feel like we can always switch to something like path or rads if we aren’t good at patient interaction or surgical type stuff but I’ve always been interested in how that works for podiatry/dentistry
You become a dean or faculty at one of the schools. Or join leadership team at one of the boards. Lol

I think you could get in. Give it some time and think about it though. Who knows it may end not being what you want. Also you could try practicing harder at those hands on things and eventually become proficient. You don’t have to have a surgery heavy career. You have to figure out your weaknesses when it comes to studying, podiatry school is still not easy.

Last edited:

The issue is the 3-year PMSR/RRA residency. You may not do any surgeries once you graduate, but you have to do them in residency. You can def learn to be better at hands-on skills through workshops, but it will be time-consuming for everyone involved.

Have you tried all D.O schools instead of MD ? Your MCAT looks good for all D.O school. I'm not sure but I believe it's higher than most of D.O schools average ?

Have you tried all D.O schools instead of MD ? Your MCAT looks good for all D.O school. I'm not sure but I believe it's higher than most of D.O schools average ?
But the poster failed out of MD. I don’t know if DO schools would give them a chance.