hey all..i'm applying to a handful of mph/ms programs in epidemiology or the infectious diseases area. i'm graduating this may with a bs in microbiology and a minor in public health. i think i have good letters, a good sop, a decent gre score (1240), and some good experiences in public health. my gpa is only about a 3.0 though but my gpa for public health classes is a lot higher. i applied to places like GWU, Hopkins, Yale, UPitt, and UAlbany. do you think I have a chance at all??

lilybart

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hi there,
Don't be discouraged. Your stats were very similar to mine (I was micro, too -- I think people realize it's difficult!), and I only applied to 3 places: NYU, Boston U, and UCLA. In at first two, wait-listed at UCLA. This was a handful of years ago, but I think the point is to go for it and see what happens.
Good luck!

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
hey all..i'm applying to a handful of mph/ms programs in epidemiology or the infectious diseases area. i'm graduating this may with a bs in microbiology and a minor in public health. i think i have good letters, a good sop, a decent gre score (1240), and some good experiences in public health. my gpa is only about a 3.0 though but my gpa for public health classes is a lot higher. i applied to places like GWU, Hopkins, Yale, UPitt, and UAlbany. do you think I have a chance at all??

I'd say you're most competitive (of the schools you listed) for UAlbany and maybe UPitt. Regardless, you'll get in somewhere if you keep at it. Good luck.

About the Ads

mimiluau

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2007
New Orleans
Status (Visible)
  1. Other Health Professions Student
Be encouraged... I have identical stats to you (barely 3.0 actually 2.99) biochem major with 1240 on the gres and I just got into GWU so it IS possible.

DrDJ

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I am currently an MPH student at UAlbany and you should have no problem getting into their epi program... its actually really good and a number of upper level classes are geared toward infectious disease epi.

Coclean

10+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
You should apply to BU too....or try applying in a different department and then switch into Epi. Epi is generally the hardest to get into.

You should apply to BU too....or try applying in a different department and then switch into Epi. Epi is generally the hardest to get into.

I didn't apply to Epi. Well, for 2 schools I did. The other ones I applied for Infectious Disease/PH Microbiology

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.