Chance of spouses entry to medical school

Turtle328

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone went through this experience and is able to give some advice. We started undergraduate school last semester and he is 28 and I am 23. We will probably graduate in May/2004. He has an interest in pathology, and I am interested in family practice. I was wondering what are the chances of us both getting into medical school and both attending the same school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You at starting near the beginning, so you can control your own destiny. Make a pact. Hard work comes first. Do everything together. Same classes. Study, study, study. 4.0 GPA's. 45 MCAT's.
Rack up medical related work or research experiences.

45 MCATs, he he he. Is that a combined score?

It is true if you both want to go, you will both need to be outstanding candidates. And, when school selection time comes make good decisions on the schools that you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are both very hard workers and are planning to volunteer in our local hospital this summer. Thank you Groundhog and Greatpumpkin for your advice.

We have a husband and wife team in my class, so I know it is possible.

It will be a challenge. However, if you both have good undergraduate grades and decent MCAT scores, you'll have a good shot.

If nothing else, it will make for a great admissions essay!
wink.gif

So far, there are four couples, including my husband and me, that I've seen on the forums trying (or planning on trying) to get in. That stirs some hope...

It might even give you an advantage. Med schools love novelties.

I agree, study together and try to do well together but if he starts holding you back, don't be afraid to cut him lose... (as a study partner of course). I would also warn you that if you break up, then you may have a difficult time studying by yourself for a while because you associate studying with him and your grades may suffer. Just something else to think about.

We have a husband/wife combo at my medical school as well. They're kind of amusing, as one is a straight 4.0 student, and the other is, well, a lot of laughs.... The chances of you getting into the same school are independent of each other. It won't help or hinder your app to mention your spouse-- if you both win the crapshoot, you both get in :) You may want to look at early admissions programs as well. I know that at Mizzou, there is a program that if you agree to practice in an underserved area of the state and meet certain qualifications, you can get a seat held for you after your freshman year. St. Louis University has a similar program, except they hold you a seat after your sophomore year. Look into your state school-- they probably have something similar... good luck to you both!

take it easy

homonculus

45 MCATs? Not even Gaylord Focker scored a 45 on his MCATs...