Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lifong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have a 3.8 cGPA, and a near 4.0 sGPA.
AMCAS practice tests were around 32-36 range (Taking the MCAT on May 19th)
about 80 hours of hospital volunteering
2 doctor shadowing experiences(8 hours total?)
Medical trip in Nicaragua during spring break
1 summer research fellowship plus 2 years of bio/biomedical research
I also just got accepted into a healthcare mentorship program where I'll get 12 weeks(8 hours a week) of doctor shadowing experience next Fall.
I'm applying as a Texas residence looking predominantly at Texas schools btw.

1. I really wish to apply this cycle, but I don't know my professors that well and my LORs are probably going to be just one of those pre-written ones. Will that hurt my chances if I had a 3.8 GPA and a roughly 32 MCAT given my so-so extracurriculars and volunteer hours?
Or should I wait till I have better LORs and finish my mentorship program (so I get 96+ hours of shadowing and more volunteer hours) to apply next year?

2. Will it hurt my chances next year if I apply this year and didn't get in?

3. Lastly, would submitting my application earlier than when my MCAT score is released help a lot? (submitting May 1st and wait for score to release on June 19th?)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I have a 3.8 cGPA, and a near 4.0 sGPA.
AMCAS practice tests were around 32-36 range (Taking the MCAT on May 19th)
about 80 hours of hospital volunteering
2 doctor shadowing experiences(8 hours total?)
Medical trip in Nicaragua during spring break
1 summer research fellowship plus 2 years of bio/biomedical research
I also just got accepted into a healthcare mentorship program where I'll get 12 weeks(8 hours a week) of doctor shadowing experience next Fall.
I'm applying as a Texas residence looking predominantly at Texas schools btw.

1. I really wish to apply this cycle, but I don't know my professors that well and my LORs are probably going to be just one of those pre-written ones. Will that hurt my chances if I had a 3.8 GPA and a roughly 32 MCAT given my so-so extracurriculars and volunteer hours?
Or should I wait till I have better LORs and finish my mentorship program (so I get 96+ hours of shadowing and more volunteer hours) to apply next year?

2. Will it hurt my chances next year if I apply this year and didn't get in?

3. Lastly, would submitting my application earlier than when my MCAT score is released help a lot? (submitting May 1st and wait for score to release on June 19th?)
1) I would think your chances would be far stronger with more clinical experience in the US, the added shadowing hours planned for completion through the mentorship program, and some regular nonmedical community service that helps the underprivileged. If you could also manage some leadership and/or teaching, as well as some strongly supportive LORs, that would further benefit your application.

But do you think I'd have a fair chance of getting into one of the in-state TX schools?
Are you suggesting I take a year off? I should still try to apply this year right?
I'm already on a five year undergraduate program XC