Chances? 28 MCAT - 3.65 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopefully Lucky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just got my MCAT back and recieved at 28Q.

I know it's not great, but do I have a shot at Allopathic medical schools or should I focus on Osteopathic?

My GPA is 3.65

I am the President of the Student Body at a liberal arts college with 1,300 students.

I have lots of other EC's and great other leadership.

LOR's are good-- College president and college VP among teachers and such.

What do ya'll think? Thanks in advance for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just add my MCAT breakdown is:

11 - verbal
8 - Physical
9 - Biological

Good job on VS!

Depending on the state you're from, the quality/longevity of your ECs, and when you plan to apply, you could have a shot at MD schools. You're in excellent shape for DO schools even if you apply now, again, assuming appropriate ECs. Keep in mind that some, not all, DO schools want a DO LOR, though some will take any physician letter, and others don't need one at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I am from Nebraska-- if I get my app in tomorrow is it still too late to apply MD?

Nebraska is a good state to be from since they have a relatively small in-state applicant pool, you have a high chance of interviewing, and once interviewed, have about a 50% chance of an acceptance. They do however have high expectations that you have experience with giving community service to under-served populations. How would you rate yourself in this category? Would you care to give more detail about all your other ECs, besides the leadership? Shadowing? Clinical Experience? Teaching? Hobbies/Sports/Artistic Endeavors? Research?

Sure! I actually worked all summer in Memphis, TN at a church based health clinic called the "church Health Center"... it's designed to give health care to the poor and uninsured. I had 100 hours of clinical hours there and 200 other hours of volunteer work at the Church Health Center. Overall I have 200 hours of clinical experiance and 300 hours of volunteering.

Other than leadership, I have been involved in countless other groups that show well-roundedness and passion for social justice. I have a minor in Religion.

What do you think and thanks for the help!