Chances... 2nd time applying.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTG023

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a new member just wondering what you guys think of my chances as a re-applicant...
3.65 overall GPA
3.68 sGPA
30 MCAT
EC's include volunteering for over a year and a half in one of my local hospitals, two mission trips abroad, one year of shadowing, worked throughout my undergrad years to help pay for college holding several jobs in the medical field, currently working for an out patient clinic full-time, getting ready to go on another mission...

Didn't want to go into to much detail but I would be grateful for some people's thoughts on my chances or what I should maybe work on this year upcoming year.

Members don't see this ad.

You should probably be in pretty decent shape. At this point its all about your Personal statement, letters, and specifics of your ECs...and a little luck.

I'm a new member just wondering what you guys think of my chances as a re-applicant...
3.65 overall GPA
3.68 sGPA
30 MCAT
EC's include volunteering for over a year and a half in one of my local hospitals, two mission trips abroad, one year of shadowing, worked throughout my undergrad years to help pay for college holding several jobs in the medical field, currently working for an out patient clinic full-time, getting ready to go on another mission...

Didn't want to go into to much detail but I would be grateful for some people's thoughts on my chances or what I should maybe work on this year upcoming year.
Since you are re-applying, what feedback did the schools you applied to give you about where to improve? If you haven't asked yet, do that ASAP.
Was your MCAT balanced?
How is your application this cycle different from the last cycle?
What was your school list you applied to, and where are you applying to this cycle?
What state are you a resident of?

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention I did do research at my undergrad institution for a year. Last cycle I did not have the missions, or the shadowing experience. I also did not include my jobs that were non-medical. I contacted a few schools and they said to include those jobs and I needed the shadowing experience. My MCAT was PS 11 VR 8 BS 11. I am a Florida resident and applied to Florida schools and a few private oos schools. I got my app in late last year (primary in end of aug and secondaries in October November but they weren't verified until later by most schools). But since I've been out of school I've been able to devote more time to working and my EC's. I will be applying again to Florida schools and I researched 8 oos schools I feel I have shots at. Nothing to far out my reach though.

I forgot to mention I did do research at my undergrad institution for a year. Last cycle I did not have the missions, or the shadowing experience. I also did not include my jobs that were non-medical. I contacted a few schools and they said to include those jobs and I needed the shadowing experience. My MCAT was PS 11 VR 8 BS 11. I am a Florida resident and applied to Florida schools and a few private oos schools. I got my app in late last year (primary in end of aug and secondaries in October November but they weren't verified until later by most schools). But since I've been out of school I've been able to devote more time to working and my EC's. I will be applying again to Florida schools and I researched 8 oos schools I feel I have shots at. Nothing to far out my reach though.
Sounds like your biggest problem was being so late with the secondaries, competing for interviews while large parts of the class were already offered acceptances. Apply like you plan to, all in your state and the 8 or so oos, and you should have success. School feedback indicates you shouldn't have any red flags in LOR's or essays (or they should have mentioned them) so you should be good. :luck:

School list besides the Florida schools include:

Boston university
Drexel
Uniformed services
NYMC
University of Rochester
Albert Einstein
Tulane
St. Louis University

this cycle I would apply early ASAP if you haven't already. How are your LORs? Are they strong? If not, i would seek out individuals who can a great letter.

My LORs are strong. I got my primary out on 6/7. Just waiting to be verified now.