Mar 23, 2012
Status
Hi, I was hoping for some advice/what are my chances/etc.

I have a 3.3 cGPA and 3.0sGPA, I'm a Bio major and I have 3 Cs in my transcript. I'm a junior. I have one in Physics I and two upper division Bios, with each C in the last three semesters. So it's not much of an upward trend. The rest are all Bs and B+s. The rest, for the minor and other classes I have received As. I'll be applying next year and taking a gap year to do research/take classes to raise my GPA.

I have taken practice MCAT and received in between 29-25 and will be taking it next January. I have done three years of research, and will be *hopefully* published by next summer. I also have volunteered at my local hospital and have held an executive position in a club.

What do you guys recommend? If I get a 28+ I'm thinking DO but should i do smp or a master's program in bio for MD? But I'm afraid to do bad in bio-all the classes I've taken have been Bs. Caribbean is my last choice but is that all I have left?

Thank you!

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi, I was hoping for some advice/what are my chances/etc.

I have a 3.3 cGPA and 3.0sGPA, I'm a Bio major and I have 3 Cs in my transcript. I'm a junior. I have one in Physics I and two upper division Bios, with each C in the last three semesters. So it's not much of an upward trend. The rest are all Bs and B+s. The rest, for the minor and other classes I have received As. I'll be applying next year and taking a gap year to do research/take classes to raise my GPA.

I have taken practice MCAT and received in between 29-25 and will be taking it next January. I have done three years of research, and will be *hopefully* published by next summer. I also have volunteered at my local hospital and have held an executive position in a club.

What do you guys recommend? If I get a 28+ I'm thinking DO but should i do smp or a master's program in bio for MD? But I'm afraid to do bad in bio-all the classes I've taken have been Bs. Caribbean is my last choice but is that all I have left?

Thank you!
You got a decent shot if you apply early and broadly providing your ECs and LORs are good.

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
At MD or DO?
Very slim to none shot at MD since both GPAs and MCAT are very low for MD. However, if you are an African American, you have a decent at MD. If not, your money, time and energy will be better spent applying to only DO.

OP
J
Mar 23, 2012
Status
Very slim to none shot at MD since both GPAs and MCAT are very low for MD. However, if you are an African American, you have a decent at MD. If not, your money, time and energy will be better spent applying to only DO.
Not African American but thanks! I'm hoping to get accepted to NYCOM for DO. If I increase my MCAT (break a 30-aim for a 33-34) should I bother with applying to MD?

Temperature101

Membership Revoked
Removed
May 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Not African American but thanks! I'm hoping to get accepted to NYCOM for DO. If I increase my MCAT (break a 30-aim for a 33-34) should I bother with applying to MD?
If you can get a 34+, I think you might have a shot at some low tiers MD. But again getting 34+ MCAT is not a walk in the park. It seems like you will not be happy going to DO; so why not retaking the mcat and aim for a 32+ and do an SMP. Your MD chances will increase dramatically with a 3.7+ SMP GPA and 32+ mcat.