Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a WV resident, biochemistry student and I will be applying the next upcoming app cycle. But first, let me tell a little about my story. I came into college as an exercise physiology major, did not particularly care for the major so I switched to biology going into my sophomore year. Towards the end of my sophomore year I decided to switch to biochemistry entering my junior year. My freshman year I managed a pitiful 2.55 GPA. Since then I have had a strong upward trend in GPA, with A's in several upper level bio and chem classes and studied like crazy to get a 35 MCAT.

I have an interesting personal story (that I won't go to in depth on here) that was to blame for my poor freshman and first half of sophomore year performance.

My ECs contain:
-2 years working as a scribe in Emergency Dept
-Countless hours of Emergency Medicine shadowing from scribing
-100 hours Family Medicine shadowing
-50 hours Radiology shadowing
-2 years working as lead summer camp counselor
-50 hours Emergency Dept volunteering
-Countless hours bell ringing for Salvation Army during Christmas seasons and serving in soup kitchen
-2 years high school baseball and football referee
-2 years tutoring high school AP biology, chemistry, calculus
-1 year Little League baseball coach
-2 years chair of Health and Safety of my university's fishing club
As you can see my ECs are all over the place. I plan on applying to WVU and Marshall University (my state schools.) I was curious as to whether I would have a shot this upcoming cycle, or should I wait on applying and do a 1 year SMP here at WVU. Also didn't know if there are any other MD schools I would have a shot at with my stats. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
GPAs a re not competitive for the two MD schools in WVa and all other states, You'd be fine at the WVSOM and any other DO school.

OP
Mountaineer23
Oct 2, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Not interested in DO at this time. I thought that I would have a chance because my LizzyM score is higher than both LizzyM scores for WVU and Marshall

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
GPAs a re not competitive for the two MD schools in WVa and all other states, You'd be fine at the WVSOM and any other DO school.
W VA has so few applicants that I think OP does stand a decent chance. IS matriculation is 51.6%! Very few of the IS applicants have an MCAT this high and a decent number of matriculants has a gpa this low. The 10th% for Marshall is 3.3. Sadly, UW VA is 3.52. Still, his MCAT is well above the 90th% for both.
I say he goes for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Ahhh, I didn't see that OP was a Mountain State resident. Mea culpa. I this agree 100% with my esteemed colleague.

W VA has so few applicants that I think OP does stand a decent chance. IS matriculation is 51.6%! Very few of the IS applicants have an MCAT this high and a decent number of matriculants has a gpa this low. The 10th% for Marshall is 3.3. Sadly, UW VA is 3.52. Still, his MCAT is well above the 90th% for both.
I say he goes for it.

Reactions: gyngyn

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
You have a decent chance at your state schools. Some OOS private schools that would be worth applying include Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Jefferson, Drexel and Temple.

Reactions: gyngyn